OT: "Soup Season" Begins ! Let's Celebrate !

Joshua_me

Today's Sustainable Fish
These days, it seems like there's bad news *everywhere*, but one thing never changes and that is that Fall is almost here, and that means it's time for "Soup Season" ! :woohoo:

Ohh soup, how do I love thee ? Let me count the ways....

You're cheap, (err...sometimes, but not always...)

You fill the house with wonderful aromas.

Be it crock pot or cast iron kettle on the stove, there's just something "cozy" about a big pot of soup atop the oven, a warm loaf of French bread for "dippin'". and a group of family and friends (and a hungry dog or two to enjoy it with...)

I'm not sure how many of you are fans of "The Pioneer Woman", (although, from what I gather from her numbers she's about to "blow up") So, I thought I'd start with one of her first soups of the season.

It's *fabulous*.

And, like with all great soups, you can adjust all the ingredients to suit your tastes.

And so, with this long-winded introduction, I give you:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/09/italian-chicken-soup/

Enjoy ! :smickey:

I love soups!!! Here's one that is one of my husbands favorites:
Mexican Pazole

3 lbs.pork steak (or chops)
1 tbls. Vegetable oil
2 med. Onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans (29oz) white hominy, drained
2 cans (10oz) diced tomatoes & chiles (Rotel or similar)
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
2 tbls. Oregano
6 cups chicken broth

Place pork in slow cooker and cook until fork tender. Allow to cool, then shred. Set aside. Add oil, onion and garlic to stock pot and cook over medium heat until onions are translucent and starting to brown.

Add remaining ingredients and simmer for a minimum of 30 minutes. If desired sprinkle with strips of toasted corn tortillas. 8 servings

Fall has recently become my favorite season, and I totally adore all of the awesome soups that comes with it! I'm dying for a squash soup, but don't have a recipe. Anyone have a tried and tested one?

Fall has recently become my favorite season, and I totally adore all of the awesome soups that comes with it! I'm dying for a squash soup, but don't have a recipe. Anyone have a tried and tested one?

My favorite fall squash soup...

Spiced Butternut Squash Soup

2 medium butternut squash
2 large onions, sliced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. butter
2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. minced fresh gingerroot
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cans (14-1/2 oz. each) chicken broth
2-1/4 c. water
1-1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley

1. Cut squash in half; discard the seeds. Place cut side down in a 15x10x1 baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400 for 40-50 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly; scoop out the pulp and set aside.
2. Over medium heat, cook and stir onions in oil and butter for 2 minutes. Add the cinnamon, brown sugar, ginger and garlic; cook 2 minutes longer or until onions are tender. Stir in the broth, water, salt and reserved squash. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Cool soup slightly. Discard cinnamon. Ina blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan and heat through. Sprinkle each serving with parsley.

I'm not usually much of a soup person, but I have a nasty head cold (thanks dh) and could have really used some today. I really wanted the baked potato soup from panera bread, served in a bread bowl, but apparently not bad enough to load the toddler in the car and drive 20 minutes to get it! I wish dh would come home with some, but I know that won't happen :rotfl: maybe I'll take ds on Friday for lunch since the temp is supposed to drop 30 degrees here Thursday night to Friday.

1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
1 50 oz Can Chicken Broth
1 Lb Hard or Firm Tofu, Sliced in 1/16 x 1/16 Strands or pre-cubed
10 large Shiitake Mushrooms, Sliced in strands
1/2 Lb Roast Pork, Sliced in strands (Called “Seasoned Pork” if packaged)
1/4 Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
1/2 tsp White Pepper
1 can Sliced Bamboo Shoots, cut to 1/8" slices (also packed as “slivered”)
1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp Hot Chili Oil
2 Eggs
1/4 Cup Corn Starch
1/4 Cup Water
1 Bunch Scallions

Mix Broth, Soy Sauce, Mushrooms, Pork, and Bamboo shoots in pot, bring to a boil on high and then simmer covered on low for three minutes.

Add vinegar and white pepper, bring to a boil on high again.

Add tofu and white part of chopped scallions, bring to a boil with medium-high flame.

Add mixture of Corn starch and Water, bring to a boil on medium high until starts to thicken.

Drizzle in beaten eggs. Turn off heat. Add oils and stir.

Serve with green portion of scallions for decoration.

We have made the Cheddar Cheese soup from LeCellier twice already this fall It turned out awesome both times. Below is the recipe we used:

Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup

Le Cellier - Canada (World Showcase) Ingredients

1/2 lb bacon cut into 1/2 in. pieces
3 celery ribs cut into 1/4 in pieces
4 cups milk
1 medium red onion cut into 1/4 in. pieces
4 tbsp butter
1 tablespoon Tabasco
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup flour
1/2 cup beer
3/4 lb. grated white cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
3 cups chicken stock

Instructions

1. In a 4 or 5 quart dutch oven, cook the bacon, stirring over medium heat about 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
2. Add the red onion, celery, and butter, and saute until the onion has softened, about 5 mins.
3. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes over medium heat.
4. Whisk in the chicken stock and bring to boil for one minute.
5. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
6. Add the milk and continue to simmer for 15 mins. Do not boil after you add the milk.
6. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese, Tabasco Sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, Salt and Pepper until the cheese is melted and the soup is smooth. Stir in warm beer. If soup is too thick, add some warm milk.

Notes

You can garnish with chopped scallions or chives.

Mmmmm... Joshua, what a great idea! I love soup! Since we hit our 70TH day over 100 degrees yesterday:sunny:, I am subbing, so I can find these recipes when it actually gets cold enough for soup here!

Looking forward to seeing more recipes, here's one for Chili blanco:

Chili Blanco

4 cups Chicken Broth
2 cans white corn
2 cans Great Northern Beans (any white bean)
2 cans (4oz) chopped green chilli’s
½ packet Williams White Chili Seasoning
2 cups cooked chicken breast (shredded)

Add all ingredients to large pot and simmer a minimum of 30 minutes.
You can adjust amounts of all ingredients to suit your taste.
Goes well served with cornbread.

Do not drain cans of corn and beans.
You may use instant chicken broth; any kind you like. I love Tone’s chicken base and use it in many recipes.

maybe I'll take ds on Friday for lunch since the temp is supposed to drop 30 degrees here Thursday night to Friday.

I just heard this on the news last night and this morning. Apparently it is going to happen here in NJ today. The temp is going to be 42 tonight! After a nasty hot summer, I'm ready to say goodbye to the heat and humidity! :banana:

I just heard this on the news last night and this morning. Apparently it is going to happen here in NJ today. The temp is going to be 42 tonight! After a nasty hot summer, I'm ready to say goodbye to the heat and humidity! :banana:

I'm right there with you Nikki. We bought some really nice soup bowls in DHS last week....looking so foward to some soup.

Keep the ideas coming..would love some new soups.

Yum!
Thai Chicken-Basil Soup
1 Tbsp. oil
1 med. onion, chopped
1 med. poblano chile, seeded and chopped
4 tsp. finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
2 Tbsp. fish sauce
3 cartons chicken broth
3 cups water
½ cup packed fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1 ½ lbs., chicken, thinly sliced crosswise
1 pkg. (14 oz) rice noodles
¼ cup fresh lime juice

1. In 6 quart Dutch oven, heat oil on med. until hot. Add onion and poblano, d cook 10 minutes or until lightly browned and tender. Add ginger, garlic, crushed red pepper, and 1tablespoon fish sauce; cook 1 minute.
2. Add broth, water, and half of basil; heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes. Uncover; increase het to med-high. Stir in chicken and uncooked noodles; heat to boiling. Boil 1 minute.

I hope I'm not hogging this thread with my offbeat recipes, I actually do have some more mainstream soup recipes, like vegetable beef, and homemade chiciken and noodles, which I would be happy to post but I figure most people have recipes for those already. Here's another slightly different, but one DH and I like:

Indian Cauliflower Curry Stew

1 Tbsp. olive oil
3 med. carrots, chopped
1 med. onion,chopped
1 ½ cup brown rice
1 Tbsp. finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
1 Tbsp. curry powder
2 ½ cups veg. broth
1 med. head cauliflower, but into sm. Florets
2 cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
½ cups loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

1. In 6-qt. Dutch oven, heat oil on med-high until hot. Add carrots and onion, and cook 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned and tender, stirring frequently.
2. Meanwhile, prepare rice as label directs, keep warm.
3. Stir ginger, curry, and ¾ tsp. salt into carrot mixture; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth; cover and heat to boiling on high. Stir in cauliflower and garbanzo beans; cover and cook on med. 15-20minutes longer, gently stirring every 5 minutes until cauliflower is tender.
4. Stir cilantro into stew. Spoon rice into serving bowls; top with stew.

And here it is again this year...

(Remember, this recipe makes a LOT of soup, but fortunately it freezes well, if need be...)

Paula Deen's Famous Taco Soup

Ingredients
2 pounds ground beef
2 cups diced onions
2 (15 1/2-ounce) cans pinto beans (you can drain the beans if you wish, we do, but just a little)
1 (15 1/2-ounce) can pink kidney beans
1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can tomatoes with chiles
2 (4 1/2-ounce) cans diced green chiles
1 (4.6-ounce) can black olives, drained and sliced, optional
1/2 cup green olives, sliced, optional
1 (1 1/4-ounce) package taco seasoning mix (Old EL Paso)
1 (1-ounce) package ranch salad dressing mix (Hidden Valley)
Corn chips, for serving
Sour cream, for garnish
Grated cheese, for garnish
Chopped green onions, for garnish
Pickled jalapenos, for garnish

Directions
Brown the ground beef and onions in a large skillet; drain the excess fat, then transfer the browned beef and onions to a large slow cooker or a stockpot. Add the beans, corn, tomatoes, green chiles, black olives, green olives, taco seasoning, and ranch dressing mix, and cook in a slow cooker on low for 6 to 8 hours or simmer over low heat for about 1 hour in a pot on the stove. To serve, place a few corn chips in each bowl and ladle soup over them. Top with sour cream, cheese, green onions and jalapenos.

Man, oh man.... Is it delicious. Just remember, you can't have enough garnish's. Have plenty of your favorite corn chips, sour cream, jalapenos, etc, at hand. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter