OT: Son's HS graduation dinner?

ruadisneyfan2

DIS Veteran
For ds18's HS graduation I thought it would be better to have dinner that night at a nice restaurant instead of having a party. He doesn't have a lot of friends so a party would mostly be aunts, uncles, cousins, all of whom are struggling financially except one. I'd feel bad to make them feel obligated to give a gift.
So since ds is such a carnivore, I thought I'd surprise him by taking him to Fogo de Chao in Philly after the ceremony. He's never been there and I'm certain he would really enjoy it. We were there a few years ago and dh still raves about it.

We figured since grandparents are really the only family that would want to sit through 1.5 hr graduation ceremony,:laughing: we should treat them for dinner too. None have ever been there & I know at least my parents would enjoy it. My MIL recently passed away so it would be nice for my FIL to get out some. My grandmother is 97 and can't eat much (it's all you can eat) but I would never leave her out. She lives with my parents so she would go along with whatever they're doing.

The problem is the timing. The ceremony starts at 11am, also in Philly, at a venue at Temple Univ that can hold plenty of people. His principal estimates 1 hr 40 mins ceremony plus time for saying goodbye to friends, photos, returning cap & gown in exchange for the real diploma, etc.
Fogo de Chao is only 11 mins from Temple U. (by Google maps) but it's only open until 2:30 for lunch, then reopen at 5:30 for dinner, so there's no way we'd get there in time for lunch and not be rushed.

I don't mind returning at 5:30 for dinner but assuming the grandparents won't want to be driving in the city, we'd all go in my minivan (or maybe have dh take some in his truck) and would then have a few hours to kill before we go to dinner. I don't mind having them back at our house for a while then go to dinner but I feel like by the time they get home, they'll all be exhausted and it's a long day from 10am to around 7pm. If I take them home after the ceremony, it would almost be time for me to turn around and go back and get them.

I'm so frustrated. I feel like it would be much easier to just find another place to eat but I've always known he would enjoy it and just been waiting for a special occasion to justify the price.

Should we skip inviting the grandparents to dinner? Maybe just let them drive home from our house after the ceremony? Go out to dinner another night?

My brain aches from thinking about it so much.

:crazy: :worried:

I would find another restaurant for the day of the graduation. It would be much easier to take everyone directly to a restaurant after the ceremony, and skip the logistics of trying to figure out how to kill time and get everyone back and forth. A week or so later, take DS to the special restaurant with just your immediate family and have a relaxed dinner. That way he gets to eat there but at a more convenient time.

This is what I would do. Invite everyone back to your house for a light lunch and cake after the ceremony and then send the grandparents on their way afterwards and your family can go back for dinner later during the dinner hours.

I would find another restaurant for the day of the graduation. It would be much easier to take everyone directly to a restaurant after the ceremony, and skip the logistics of trying to figure out how to kill time and get everyone back and forth. A week or so later, take DS to the special restaurant with just your immediate family and have a relaxed dinner. That way he gets to eat there but at a more convenient time.

agreed

Is it possible that you could just make sure you're to FOGO by 2:30? Do they kick you out at that time? I guess I just assumed that they seat people until 2:30, put continue to serve after that. Might be worth a call...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter