OT - school supply gripe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a kindergarten teacher. I have been teaching for nearly 30 years. I go to the back to school sales and purchase supplies for stocking my classroom.
Our list requests 1 box of 24 crayons. I will go to walmart this week and will be buying 100 boxes of 24 crayons. This is so the kids can each have a new box every nine weeks. At my level kids often need the exact colors for work - for example - circle the a's with red, the i's with blue - that kind of thing. I will also be purchasing class sets of markers and colored pencils. Parents send in one set of markers for the entire year - they don't last. Colored pencils are not on the list but I like for the kids to use them in the little book practice readers that we make. I will also be buying EXPO markers throughout the year as well as games, folders etc and I purchase a 1in binder for every child to use as a school to home communication binder. It goes home daily and believe me it can't be used more than 1 year.
I love my job. I don't complain about my salary. I have a MEd and many years experience so my salary is reasonable. However, I do wish that more people realized how much teachers spend out of their own pockets. I can't even imagine any teacher penalizing a student for bringing in the wrong supplies - the teachers I know would be far more likely to give the student the correct supplies and never say a word about it. I have 4 kids of my own. I see this from the parent's side as well. I am about to pay nearly $500 in band fees alone for my DS who will be in 9th grade next year.

You know, you make an excellent point about the required supplies not lasting an entire school year. But that's because that's what parents are asked to send in, we're asked to send in x amount of supplies, so we do. It simply never occured to me that the kids were running low on supplies until I was over there one day and saw how little they had in their supply drawer. I know I should have realized that amount of supplies wouldn't last a year, but that's what they asked for. Perhaps teachers should send home a note every so often to the effect that supplies could be restocked. yes, I know, that would be a lot of work to keep track of each child's supplies and I certainly don't mean to suggest that, but perhaps send home a note with each report card to check with your child, is there anything they're running short on? Honestly, it just doesn't occur to most parents to send in more unless they're made aware of the need. I know now, after 5 years of ps, that those supplies don't last long, but you do need to remind parents, especially kindergarten parents.

In high school, we are encouraged to teach to all learning styles. These involve those students who need manipulatives (paper cutting for models), visual/artistic (crayons - HS students love to use them because they haven't done it in a while), glue to put together models, etc.

School is not what you remember it. Good teachers try to meet students were they are. We don't sit and memorize facts all day, nor do we just do reports out of the library. A typical day in my class would involve active reading, class/group project, lecture with notes, video, and perhaps a little time spent on an ongoing project.

Students come away with first hand knowledge and they say "Wow - is class already over?" I think they are engaged and learning -- even if they have colored a model with crayons, cut it out with scissors, and glued it together. LOL.

Hope this helps explain why we ask for such things.

I want to gag reading this! That's busy work plain and simple. Its at the elementary school level. Just what do they do in college--more of the same? Can't schools think of something for a student to do besides cut up paper and color all day? No wonder there's so many incompentents in the work force and employers are falling over themselves to hire foreign workers, they're the only ones who can do the job, unless its coloring and drawing.

I did not know this. I usually grumble to DH because the teachers won't tell me what supplies to buy. Now I know why. We live in California. And you are right. They always say "just send him with an empty backpack", then it comes back with a brand new school folder, crayons and pencils.

That's how it is in our district in PA. We don't HAVE to supply anything. The teachers do recommend a pencil box, and colored pencils, but they are optional. And they do request tissues and hand sanitizer from time to time throughout the year. It's not required though...purely voluntary.

What grade is this? You said HS--High School? In my opinion, that's too childish for a HS project. My dd did something similar for 4th grade, she found it somewhat boring, the assignment was to make a poster of an historical character, using crayons, markers, glue sticks, etc.

When I was in HS we were doing actual term papers, complete with bibliographies, footnotes, etc., had to follow MLA style sheet, served me well for college. I know the teacher doesn't create the assignments, its the school that decides what is done in what grade, you as a teacher really have little control over that. But I feel the project you described to be way beneath what should be expected from high school (assuming hs means high school, perhaps I made an assumption? Could you have meant home school? :confused3 )

Yes, I'm sure she meant high school -- not home school. Where I teach there are many ability levels in each grade. Education research shows that students learn by doing. We are trying to reach and teach all students. What works for one will not work for another.

Just try getting a non-reader to do a report in MLA style. Parent support is not there for these students. If it was, they could read by high school. Other students are lazy - even contacting the parent does not improve their performance. Many times I just get excuses.

The No Child Left Behind Act discourages us from failing students - whether it be for the class or holding them back a year. This is a flawed system that puts all the pressure on the school system and very little pressure on the student or parent.

For students to be truly successful in school, it requires not only caring teachers, but caring, interested, involved parents that value education. This means parents that do not try to undermine the teacher, but instead ask the teacher if they think something is amiss. Usually, the teacher has a good reason.

In my school, we do create the assignments. Creative ones like described with Mice & Men are part of it, but not all of it (of course).

I don't want to upset you in any way. I'm sure you are a wonderful, interested parent. I would just ask that you consider we are professionals, many of us with master's degrees or higher in the field of education. Any one of us would be glad to explain why an assignment is given.

College professors have higher degrees (in their field of expertise), of course, but they have not been taught to teach. Many of them, though, are changing the way they do things. And guess what -- unless they are tenured, a college professor generally makes less than a public school teacher.

We teachers are not rich by any means. I would struggle to support my family on my salary alone. Those of us who stay in it stay because we love your kids.

Our PTA gives each teacher $100 at the beginning of the year as "start up" money. They can buy whatever they need for their classrooms that normally would have come from their own pockets. They just give us their receipts once the money is spent.

I want to gag reading this! That's busy work plain and simple. Its at the elementary school level. Just what do they do in college--more of the same? Can't schools think of something for a student to do besides cut up paper and color all day? No wonder there's so many incompentents in the work force and employers are falling over themselves to hire foreign workers, they're the only ones who can do the job, unless its coloring and drawing.

You know what makes me want to gag? Someone who is obviously not a teacher and who seems to have a chip on their shoulder blaming the teachers for the problems in the work force. How about you blame the parents who don't care about their child's education until there are 2 days of school left and their child has failed. How about you blame the parent who would rather party all night than make sure their child is cared for. How about you blame the parents who are sure their little "angel" (who has destroyed things and bullied every other child in the room) would never do any wrong and flip out on the teacher when that child gets into trouble? Maybe you could blame the parent who spends all their money on drugs instead of food.

My goodness, when are people going to start taking responsibility rather than blaming others.

That's what makes me want to gag.

You know, you make an excellent point about the required supplies not lasting an entire school year. But that's because that's what parents are asked to send in, we're asked to send in x amount of supplies, so we do. It simply never occured to me that the kids were running low on supplies until I was over there one day and saw how little they had in their supply drawer. I know I should have realized that amount of supplies wouldn't last a year, but that's what they asked for. Perhaps teachers should send home a note every so often to the effect that supplies could be restocked. yes, I know, that would be a lot of work to keep track of each child's supplies and I certainly don't mean to suggest that, but perhaps send home a note with each report card to check with your child, is there anything they're running short on? Honestly, it just doesn't occur to most parents to send in more unless they're made aware of the need. I know now, after 5 years of ps, that those supplies don't last long, but you do need to remind parents, especially kindergarten parents.

The teachers at our school actually do ask for additional supplies throughout the year. The way they handle it is when they send home their classroom newsletter (weekly or monthly), they put a blurb in it asking for whatever it is they need. It's worded so that it is obvious that it is a donation to the class and optional.

Here's part of a sample lesson. I'll expect it on my desk by Tuesday. LOL. I've had HONORS students who say they've learned so much -- especially the nitrogen and carbon-oxygen cycles. We throw in things they know (like water cycle) and build on it so they UNDERSTAND it - instead of just MEMORIZING it. Honors kids do this on their own at home. Regular kids work in groups at school.

The following items should be ILLUSTRATED and LABELED in your assigned ecosystem (Please use the TUNDRA):
1. Water Cycle (p. 75)· transpiration· precipitation· condensation· evaporation· runoff· groundwater
2. Nitrogen Cycle (p. 78)· nitrogen fixation· ammonification· nitrification· denitrification
3. Carbon-Oxygen Cycle (p. 77)· respiration· photosynthesis· decomposition· combustion (burning)
4. Phosphorus Cycle (p. 79)· organic· inorganic
5. Producers (p. 67-68)· At least 3
6. Decomposers (p. 69)· At least 2
7. Biome Information (p. 100-104)· Biome title on poster· All required information is complete and thorough from chart
8. Consumers (p. 68-69)· herbivores· carnivores· omnivores· detritivores
9. Food Chains (p. 69-71)· At least 3 different chains· At least 3 levels in each chain
10. Abiotic Factors (p. 90) and Primary Energy Source (p. 67)· At least 4 abiotic factors· Illustrate primary energy source

Check the ad's tomorrow. I think office depot will have the 24 pk of crayola crayons for .09. If you tell them you are a teacher they will sometimes let you buy more or bring lots of friends.:teacher:

In high school, we are encouraged to teach to all learning styles. These involve those students who need manipulatives (paper cutting for models), visual/artistic (crayons - HS students love to use them because they haven't done it in a while), glue to put together models, etc.

School is not what you remember it. Good teachers try to meet students were they are. We don't sit and memorize facts all day, nor do we just do reports out of the library. A typical day in my class would involve active reading, class/group project, lecture with notes, video, and perhaps a little time spent on an ongoing project.

Students come away with first hand knowledge and they say "Wow - is class already over?" I think they are engaged and learning -- even if they have colored a model with crayons, cut it out with scissors, and glued it together. LOL.

Hope this helps explain why we ask for such things.

karinbelle: I hope my kids both have teachers as wonderful as you. DD is a very creative child & so far we've been lucky to have teachers who let her express this. I sincerely hope it continues.

It is *not* busy work. Its creative, out-of-the-box & interesting. I still remember doing a mock trial in grade school (Goldilocks vs. The Three Bears). We also studied the Civil Rights Movement by making posters calling for equality between Reds & Blues. My kids do full reports that many times incorporate artistic elements.
And, as a person who studied education in college I can tell you that I did lots of stuff with crayons, markers & paint. In fact, my mom still has some of my 'fridge art' from college proudly displayed. After all, how better to learn how to present the materials than to use them yourself.

when I was PTA president, we decided to do the pre-packaged supply sets that have been mentioned here. Personally, I thought it was great. We ended up only doing the sale one year, because, get this, people wanted to drive around and pick out their own supplies. Honestly, that was the feedback we got.

Yes, I'm sure she meant high school -- not home school. Where I teach there are many ability levels in each grade. Education research shows that students learn by doing. We are trying to reach and teach all students. What works for one will not work for another.

Just try getting a non-reader to do a report in MLA style. Parent support is not there for these students. If it was, they could read by high school. Other students are lazy - even contacting the parent does not improve their performance. Many times I just get excuses.

The No Child Left Behind Act discourages us from failing students - whether it be for the class or holding them back a year. This is a flawed system that puts all the pressure on the school system and very little pressure on the student or parent.

For students to be truly successful in school, it requires not only caring teachers, but caring, interested, involved parents that value education. This means parents that do not try to undermine the teacher, but instead ask the teacher if they think something is amiss. Usually, the teacher has a good reason.

In my school, we do create the assignments. Creative ones like described with Mice & Men are part of it, but not all of it (of course).

I don't want to upset you in any way. I'm sure you are a wonderful, interested parent. I would just ask that you consider we are professionals, many of us with master's degrees or higher in the field of education. Any one of us would be glad to explain why an assignment is given.

College professors have higher degrees (in their field of expertise), of course, but they have not been taught to teach. Many of them, though, are changing the way they do things. And guess what -- unless they are tenured, a college professor generally makes less than a public school teacher.

We teachers are not rich by any means. I would struggle to support my family on my salary alone. Those of us who stay in it stay because we love your kids.

:thumbsup2 I totally agree with this poster's quote. NCLB has required teachers to totally retool their teaching methods. And, like I previously posted, brain research supports the use of manipulatives. College professors are using thinking maps/graphic organizers in classrooms. I want my students to reach their top potential. My school is research and data driven AND we have seen our test scores go through the roof. Plus, our seniors got over 5 MILLION in scholarships. Did these kids use manipulatives? Heck, yeah! They helped them to be creative, organized, and able to retain material so much better than rote memorization.

back to original post....and that's why we require markers, glue, and sometimes even construction paper.

I teach 4th grade and in my district we are given $300 for supplies. By supplies I mean I have to buy my ink for my printer, paper for the students to write on, chalk, dry erase markers, the list goes on and on. You would be shocked by how much it costs for a pack of chart paper (about $60 for 100 sheets) I use about 3 packs a year for my class easel so there goes half of my money The money adds up quickly. I usually spend about $500 of my own money each year on classroom decorations, tissuess, prizes for the students, ect.

I don't think non-teachers understand how much teachers have to supply themselves. If we ask you to send in a box of tissues, it's because children-yours included need to blow their noses during the day. Believe me, I am not hoarding tissues in my closet. I teach about 50 kids during the course of a school day. I don't complain about spending my own money until I hear people slam teachers for requesting supplies. As a matter of fact, I spent the last week visiting my local Staples store to buy school supplies for my class when Staples had their annual penny sales.

Do you know what your tax dollars go towards? Every time the district buys into a new program, it costs big money. My district introduced a new math program about 4 years ago that cost somewhere in the neighborhood of a million dollars to impliment district wide. Next year, because the company "upgraded" the program, we need all new books. And that's only one subject. If it's an issue as to where your tax dollars are going, ask to see the financial reports in your district, all that information is public, you have a right to see it.

I do many hands on activities in my classroom. You would not believe how even the lowest kids in the class get involved when they can work on something other than memorization of facts (which they usually forget anyway) I just finished my MEd in May and every professor I had stressed multiple intelligences. If you are a visual learner and all your teacher does is lecture to you all day, you will never succeed. Cheers to the teachers that incorporate all of the intelligences into their lessons:yay:

You know what makes me want to gag? Someone who is obviously not a teacher and who seems to have a chip on their shoulder blaming the teachers for the problems in the work force. How about you blame the parents who don't care about their child's education until there are 2 days of school left and their child has failed. How about you blame the parent who would rather party all night than make sure their child is cared for. How about you blame the parents who are sure their little "angel" (who has destroyed things and bullied every other child in the room) would never do any wrong and flip out on the teacher when that child gets into trouble? Maybe you could blame the parent who spends all their money on drugs instead of food.

My goodness, when are people going to start taking responsibility rather than blaming others.

That's what makes me want to gag.

Well now who's painting everyone with the same brush? I can assure you my dh and I don't fit the picture you seem to have of the "typical" parent.

No, I'm not a teacher, but I'm a parent and I see what passes for education today. Must I be a parent to judge teachers? I recently had back surgery, am I not able to judge the doctor as a patient, only if I was another doctor?

My dh and I both have masters degrees, are very well-educated and value education for our children. What I see coming out of the public school system leaves me quite disappointed. We are investigating alternatives, such as private school, home school, etc. My ds has several learning disabilities, I've tried working with his school for 5 years now, all I have is one big headache. I've done everything that could be expected of a parent and then some to work with the school to no avail and finally gave up. Its a crime, when we pay so much in school taxes and then have to resort to other means to educate our child, but that, unfortunately, is the way it is. DS has done so much better once out of the ps system. I'm investigating private schools, I know the quality varies there, too, but at least they won't automatically assume every child with a ld has drug addict sleaze ball s for parents!

Thank you Karinbelle. Very well put. I know this thread has become WAY off topic, but I hate the fact that I feel like I have to defend myself as a good teacher. I have a MSEd, and for the most part, teach "at-risk" students who may or may not graduate how to read and enjoy reading in their lives. The Of Mice and Men project that I mentioned earlier is just one example of the more kinesthetic activities that we do. You cannot ask a 16-year-old, reading below the 6th grade level, who couldn't care less about being at school to sit down and do a term paper MLA format just because. This student will do an MLA essay, but he/she will do it with guidance. Many of our best teachers who teach AP and Honor courses use hands-on projects to teach a certain idea. For example, one of our English IIH teachers uses play-doh to teach the idea of social government when reading Animal Farm. The kids love it and have a great discussion about it. Ask them if they remember the 10-pg report or the playdoh. They will go on and on about the day they played with playdoh.

You couldn't pay me enough money to be a corporate America businessperson. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else other than my classroom.

Thanks for reading.
April

Well now who's painting everyone with the same brush? I can assure you my dh and I don't fit the picture you seem to have of the "typical" parent.

No, I'm not a teacher, but I'm a parent and I see what passes for education today. Must I be a parent to judge teachers? I recently had back surgery, am I not able to judge the doctor as a patient, only if I was another doctor?

My dh and I both have masters degrees, are very well-educated and value education for our children. What I see coming out of the public school system leaves me quite disappointed. We are investigating alternatives, such as private school, home school, etc. My ds has several learning disabilities, I've tried working with his school for 5 years now, all I have is one big headache. I've done everything that could be expected of a parent and then some to work with the school to no avail and finally gave up. Its a crime, when we pay so much in school taxes and then have to resort to other means to educate our child, but that, unfortunately, is the way it is. DS has done so much better once out of the ps system. I'm investigating private schools, I know the quality varies there, too, but at least they won't automatically assume every child with a ld has drug addict sleaze ball s for parents!

I'm truly sorry you've had a bad experience.

There are many of us teachers out there who have children with learning disabilities. My school system does not make such assumptions about parents.

I hope your child gets the accommodations he or she requires, even if they don't qualify for services. This is just another reason why I teach with so many methods in my class. There are those kids who fall through the cracks.

(Like the girl who qualified for services in middle school, then tested again and no longer qualified -- she performed at her ability level - low IQ, but not below her IQ ability. She would not have made it if I had not accommodated her anyway because it was the right thing to do).

Peace to you. Hope you find what you're looking for.

I can't wait for the sales to come out. My DH wishes I wouldn't buy so much, but students need pencils, and sometimes they don't bring them from home. I request, but not require, supplies such as kleenex. I do not give extra credit - I give a thank you.

You can judge whoever you want.

I never said my examples were of "typical" parents. They are examples of the parents I have seen over the years. I was simply trying to point out that not all parents are as perfect as yourself and your dh. I also never said a thing about learning disabled students, you added that.

I hope that you have gone back and read some of the posts from teachers giving examples of the lessons they use in their classrooms. If you look at them with an open mind I am sure you will be able to see the benefits of such a well rounded approach.

This IS the budget board, right? We are concerned with saving money, with reusing items, buying used items, reducing waste, etc? Surely you don't object to reusing a spiral notebook that has only had a few pages used?

I am not the OP of the "landfill" comment, but I agree wholeheartedly. As a culture, we are obsessed with what's new and best. Kids get new backpacks and lunchboxes every year even though their old ones are perfectly fine. I will spend 50 dollars on an LL Bean backpack that my kids will use for years. If/when the zipper goes, they can get a new one for free thanks to their return policy. I also told DD that she could ask for a new backpack for her bday if it meant that much to her (it's in early Sept). Suddenly, her "old" one was just fine.:rotfl2:

yes..this is the Budget board and thank you for pointing it out to any who may have missed it. You are quite helpful indeed.
What my Point was: we are talking about spiral notebooks that are aroung 10-20 cents at the preschool sales. Why not get her a new one for school (remember-10-20 cents) and let her use the old one at home for assignments and scratch paper. I am not saying go out and buy a 2000$ jacket because the other kids have one. there is a difference. Have a great night and hope that cleared it up for you!

I had a teacher in high school for Italian class that used to have us make things all the time. We did everything from writing children's books in Italian to making our own Italian commercials that we filmed and presented at the foreign language fair. This teacher would bring in her children's toys. For example I remember her bringing in a dollhouse when we were learning "home" vocab. I learned so much in the 3 years I had that teacher (and I still remember most of my Italian) I doubt conjugating verbs every day would have had the same lasting effect

At our school you can pre order the supplies before the end of the school year for the next year. Its about $35, probably could get the supplies for less, but factor in time and gas and you're ahead. It comes all in a nice, shrink-wrapped kit, delivered right to the classroom, makes teacher very happy, she got everything she wanted (just what is that teaching the kids, anyways? That you can demand and get exactly what you want if you're in a position of authority?)

Every year something happens that I couldn't make it out to buy the supplies, and I'm just glad I pre ordered the kit. With two kids, and those lists are so long and specific, I just about went crazy one year trying to get all the stuff. The prepaid kit is the only way to go!

I would love a packet to be available at my school!! That would save so much time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter