OT - school supply gripe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I just checked the school suppy list....I don't even know what some of this IS!

Help me out please.

What are these?

Marble Notebooks (4)

5 Plastic folders with brads (red, yellow, blue, green, purple)

Thanks,

Dawn

Ok, I just checked the school suppy list....I don't even know what some of this IS!

5 Plastic folders with brads (red, yellow, blue, green, purple) [/I]

Thanks,

Dawn

The folders are like the paper ones you get (usually for 10cents or so this time of year) but plastic. They last longer. I've had the best luck finding them at Office Depot.

Are brads the brass colored metal that you separate and push down to get the paper to stay?

dawn

The folders are like the paper ones you get (usually for 10cents or so this time of year) but plastic. They last longer. I've had the best luck finding them at Office Depot.

I haven't looked too closely at the list yet. This is the first time we have had to deal with a list.

In CA they don't give lists. Legally you can't ask a child to bring anything at all. CA law says that all education is free, even pencils and paper if the child doesn't bring it. Most kids DO bring their own, but I remember being surprised in my CA Educational Law class that they are literally not required to bring anything!

I need to print out the list here and see what we need to do.

Dawn

I did not know this. I usually grumble to DH because the teachers won't tell me what supplies to buy. Now I know why. We live in California. And you are right. They always say "just send him with an empty backpack", then it comes back with a brand new school folder, crayons and pencils.

Help me out please.

What are these?

Marble Notebooks (4)

Thanks,

Dawn

The marble notebooks are the Composition Notebooks. They look like they have the marble surface on the cover. I think you can usually get them for 50cents or so at Wal-mart. They may be even cheaper now with school supply sales. I hope this helps.

When did it become the norm to have these large school lists? I remember getting some basics but we never has anything more than needing pencils and a binder. I am probably dating myself here but I remember that the big thing was a trapper keeper binder!

My DD goes to a very small private school so I understand why they need lists but when did it become ok for Public Schools to ask people to buy so much?

I was actually shocked at how small my DDs list was compared to the local elementary schools. They were twice as long.

I would send in the 1 inch binders too, unless the teacher needed a specific uniform size for some reason. If we have to buy supplies I wish teachers would stick to the stuff that is on sale cheap every year. Like the .10 notebooks. Sure they might not be the perfect notebook but any family should be able to afford them so isn't that better?

Lisa

I agree with you. My dd's go to a Christain school, so I can understand the need for supplies. Now my day care kids let me see the list they needed for next year at the public school. They needed windex, baby wipes and tissues. That is just a bunch of crap. I am paying taxes and i would hope that Windex would be coverd. (I am paying taxes and my kids do not even go to public school):confused3 .

Holy Cow! Did you really mean over 30 classes in each grade? That would be 270 classes total!!!!! Where is that?

Yes that is the true number. Approximately 800 kids per grade. Northern suburb of Chicago.

ok-I don't want to sound harsh..but have you thought about how your daughter might feel to always have torn outpaper? or used stuff? If it is a money issue it is one thing but to take a stand on this issue just to make a point is wrong in my opinion. I have a couple of friends who are teachers and they just love parents who refuse to buy the supply list

I do send in the supply list. They seem to only use 10 pages of each 70 page spiral notebook sent in, so if I send in the one from last year with 60 pages, it doesn't really matter. No one even knows the papers are missing, so DD is not made fun of. Believe me, I could afford a lot of those spirals at 10 cents each, but I don't think it is necessary. Luckily, my DD agrees with me and is being taught a (semi) frugal lifestyle. That is, pick and choose where it is important to spend money, and try not to be wasteful. She has used the same backpack for 6 years.

I can't imagine what the traffic at pick up time would be with over 5000 students

The majority of the children ride the bus. It is well organized, and when I have had to pick up the kids after school, there really isn't any traffic.

have seen where teachers have taken the supplies from students and pooled them together (just her class) then gave them out as needed in the class

Not our situation. All items, even pencils, are to be labelled with the student's name.

ok-I don't want to sound harsh..but have you thought about how your daughter might feel to always have torn outpaper? or used stuff? If it is a money issue it is one thing but to take a stand on this issue just to make a point is wrong in my opinion. I have a couple of friends who are teachers and they just love:love: parents who refuse to buy the supply list. Now, don't get me wrong-I do agree that some of the list seems excessive but to reuse the paper? couldn't you use those pages for at home and get her new for school?

Be careful with this issue. I've found its best to buy exactly what's on the supply list, this isn't the time to make a stand about the issue.

First of all, your child will stand out. Second, and more important, the teachers don't like students who are "out of the mold". Believe me, I've seen it. When I was in school I saw children being belittled for bringing in the 'wrong' stuff, such as 2 boxes of 8 crayons, instead of the specifiied 16 count box. also, they were quite specific about the type of notebook, any child who brought in the "wrong" notebook automatically lost 10 points on whatever project went in that notebook. How did the teachers get away with such pettiness? Kids typically don't tell their parents about such issues, they feel its somehow their fault or will only blow up even worse.

Even if a teacher doesn't do anything so blantant as deduct an automatic 10 points for having the "wrong" notebook, a lot of the grading, especially in elementary school, is subjective. If they ask for 1.5 inch binders and your kid brings in an assignment in a 1 inch binder its bound to affect the grade.

Teachers can be petty , and they're always griping about how little they're paid, but they seem to have no consideration for the parents budget, like we have a money tree. It constantly bugs me, what they want us to send in, but I always comply, for the kid's sake, even though I probably make less than many teachers! (please, I'm not interested in the flames this one will bring, I don't intend to come back here anyways), its best to play their game, your child is caught in the middle.

I know for my HS classes I request in my syllabus that each student have a
1" binder, 6 dividers, paper, pencils/pens (I don't care what they use), and post-its. I teach English/Reading, and the binder is VERY important to the class. It is one that the students will only use for my class and my class only. They will turn them in several times per semester for grades.

I also allow students to bring in school supplies (tissues, paper, markers, glue, crayons, scissors, etc.--anything that would be used by the class) for extra credit. That way, when people run out or need them at the beginning, we have them for all to use.

If the binder is so important why don't you buy them then sell them to the students, for your cost, of course? That way you will get exactly what you want. Diid you even consider that you might be compelling some students/parents to run all over town at inconvenient times just to get the exact binder teacher wants, assuming they can find it?

Also, I thought things like crayons, scissors, glue, etc was for elementary grades. What are you teaching thme in HS that they need crayons for?:confused3 No wonder kids get fed up/discouraged with school. I mean, can't the schools give them something more age appropriate than cutting up paper and making little projects all day/:dance3:

I agree with you. My dd's go to a Christain school, so I can understand the need for supplies. Now my day care kids let me see the list they needed for next year at the public school. They needed windex, baby wipes and tissues. That is just a bunch of crap. I am paying taxes and i would hope that Windex would be coverd. (I am paying taxes and my kids do not even go to public school):confused3 .

They use baby wipes and Windex to clean the overhead projectors, but hos much do they need/ 20 bottles, one from each kid? I agree, we pay taxes for that. Its not more justified than expecting the parents to send in cleaner for the floor, windows, toilets, etc. We've laready paid for that stuff through our taxes!

Help me out please.

What are these?

Marble Notebooks (4)

Thanks,

Dawn
I think marble notebooks are those black and white notebooks with a sort of marble type pattern, usually not spiral, some sort of cloth binding.

Be careful with this issue. I've found its best to buy exactly what's on the supply list, this isn't the time to make a stand about the issue.

Even if a teacher doesn't do anything so blantant as deduct an automatic 10 points for having the "wrong" notebook, a lot of the grading, especially in elementary school, is subjective. If they ask for 1.5 inch binders and your kid brings in an assignment in a 1 inch binder its bound to affect the grade

Wow, I find this hard to believe to be a "most teachers" reaction. DD13 is going into 8th grade and has never had a point deducted from a grade or been treated differently based on bringing in the wrong size binder. I would hope that the teachers are more focused on educating the students and binder size would not be part of that equation.

At our school you can pre order the supplies before the end of the school year for the next year. Its about $35, probably could get the supplies for less, but factor in time and gas and you're ahead. It comes all in a nice, shrink-wrapped kit, delivered right to the classroom, makes teacher very happy, she got everything she wanted (just what is that teaching the kids, anyways? That you can demand and get exactly what you want if you're in a position of authority?)

Every year something happens that I couldn't make it out to buy the supplies, and I'm just glad I pre ordered the kit. With two kids, and those lists are so long and specific, I just about went crazy one year trying to get all the stuff. The prepaid kit is the only way to go!

This is the list for 4th grade. It is not too bad.

*Notebook Paper
*No. 2 wooden pencils
*6 Duo-Tank Folders (with brads AND pockets-may need to be replaced with new ones during second semester).
*Elmer’s Glue
*Hand Sanitizer
*Eraser Caps
*Kleenex (two boxes)
*Crayons (Box of 24)
*Scissors
*Glue Sticks (two) (These will need to be replaced in Jan.)
*Sturdy Book Bag – PREFER CLEAR OR MESH
*Markers/Colored Pencils
*2 hi-liters
*Zip-lock bags (quart & gallon)
*Disinfecting wipes (Clorox, Lysol, etc.)

To be purchased through school:
School T-shirts - $6.50
Student Planner - $5.00
Read Across America Day Hats ($1.25)
Disks - $0.25 (cannot be brought from home or taken home because of viruses)

Make sure these items are labeled with your child’s name. Supplies may need to be replenished throughout the year; a not will be placed in your child’s planner when supplies are needed.

Additional Items may be required by each individual classroom teacher. Please make these purchases as soon as possible after the teacher advises they are needed.

i'm sayin:
I think if I had to cook lunch at the school that has over 7,000 students I would have to move!!! OH MY GOSH!!!! How many kitchens,serving lines and workers are at that school???? Last year we had over 800 students (2nd-5th)and that was a difficult year!!! I think we will be back to around 650 (3rd-5th)or so this year. WOW!!! I could not imagine a school that big. How many assistant principals are there?

I also allow students to bring in school supplies (tissues, paper, markers, glue, crayons, scissors, etc.--anything that would be used by the class) for extra credit. That way, when people run out or need them at the beginning, we have them for all to use.

Do you mean that you award academic extra credit or some other kind of extra credit?

Lisa

Wow, I find this hard to believe to be a "most teachers" reaction. DD13 is going into 8th grade and has never had a point deducted from a grade or been treated differently based on bringing in the wrong size binder. I would hope that the teachers are more focused on educating the students and binder size would not be part of that equation.

That might be what you hope, but it might not work out that way, Probably most teachers wouldn't be so blantant as to deduct points from a project because its not in the right binder (like they did in my school days, btw, I was an honor student), but, like I said, much of a grade is subjective. I found with my dd's teacher that she wasn't really interested in teaching as much as finding ways to deduct points. No, she didn't deduct points for the wrong binder, but seems she found other ways. We finally just decided dd was never going to get anything above an 89% from this teacher, no matter how hard she tried. I just don't see the point in nit picking, but that's what teaching has turned into, at least in my kids' school. That's why I homeschool my ds (has learning disabilities), and am considering private school for dd, still don't have the plans final, but I feel discouraged by the ps system at this point. We try to encourage a positive attitude in dd towards the school and teachers, but she's discouraged, too.

First of all, your child will stand out. Second, and more important, the teachers don't like students who are "out of the mold". Believe me, I've seen it. When I was in school I saw children being belittled for bringing in the 'wrong' stuff, such as 2 boxes of 8 crayons, instead of the specifiied 16 count box. also, they were quite specific about the type of notebook, any child who brought in the "wrong" notebook automatically lost 10 points on whatever project went in that notebook. How did the teachers get away with such pettiness? Kids typically don't tell their parents about such issues, they feel its somehow their fault or will only blow up even worse.

Even if a teacher doesn't do anything so blantant as deduct an automatic 10 points for having the "wrong" notebook, a lot of the grading, especially in elementary school, is subjective. If they ask for 1.5 inch binders and your kid brings in an assignment in a 1 inch binder its bound to affect the grade.

Teachers can be petty , and they're always griping about how little they're paid, but they seem to have no consideration for the parents budget, like we have a money tree. It constantly bugs me, what they want us to send in, but I always comply, for the kid's sake, even though I probably make less than many teachers! (please, I'm not interested in the flames this one will bring, I don't intend to come back here anyways), its best to play their game, your child is caught in the middle.

I hope I never hear of this happening in a class my kids attend because I will take it up with everyone that will listen. Teachers need to get over it. There are TONS of single parents trying to make sure there is food on the table and the teacher is going to give a kid a hard time for bringing the wrong size notebook or crayons? GIVE ME A BREAK!

I will be the parent the teachers hate and I am fine with that. :coffee:

I hope I never hear of this happening in a class my kids attend because I will take it up with everyone that will listen. Teachers need to get over it. There are TONS of single parents trying to make sure there is food on the table and the teacher is going to give a kid a hard time for bringing the wrong size notebook or crayons? GIVE ME A BREAK!

I will be the parent the teachers hate and I am fine with that. :coffee:

You might think that, but you would never be sure if its happening. Like I said, much of a grade is subjective, especially in elementary school. A teacher isn't going to send home a project with points deducted for not having the "right" crayons, etc, all you see is the grade.

My ds never got beyone a C in art. I sent in the Rose Art markers and crayons, because, they were cheaper! Then I sent in some replacement, the Crayola, the "right" kind, not because I thought it would influence his grade, just because that's what I bought. Well, right after that, ds started getting A's in art. Do you think he had a "talent surge" right about then? I didn't see any difference in his art work that he brought home:confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter