OT Scarey inccident with the bus today

Wow, some of the folks are awfully quick to find blame with the driver.

I agree that there needs to be sensors.

That's because it is the drivers fault for not having a visual of EACH child before pulling away.

I'm sorry. I usually don't look to blame some one for every little thing, but this situation was absolutely without a doubt the driver's fault. The driver did not even bother to see that the kid had gotten out of the door, let alone was a safe distance from the bus to drive off. What if the child slipped when they got off the bus and the driver just drives off and runs him/her over? Heck, our bus driver makes sure that the child is inside the house before they pull away.

Are you being serious here?!?! :eek: Of course the driver is to blame! He/she started driving away when there was a child ATTACHED to the bus! Those doors are see through for a reason- to ensure that you can see the child- and guarantee that they are at a safe distance away from the bus.

OP- If I were you, I'd be making darn certain that driver never drives a bus again. That is inexcusable. Like the PP said- what if DD or another child had fallen/tripped while getting out of the bus and they ran over the poor child? I'm so very thankful your DD is ok, and that your DH was there to witness the whole event. Many hugs to you and your family!

Op here, I have talked again with my daughter & my husband to make sure I understood what had happened clearly. The bus driver told my husband the kids told him no one was getting off at the stop & that he didn't even realize a child had gotten off the bus,therefore the only person to blame is the driver. My daughter hadn't stopped or hesitated. She is seeming to be fine,but she could still be in shock from everything. My DH took her to the doctor just to confirm there were no injuries. She isn't even sore today,and went off to school happy & healthy. I contacted the bus transportation dept. right after it happened & we also filed a police report just so it is on the record. There is a investigation pending within them to see what happened. I was also told that while it was under investigation he will not be driving a bus again. I am trying to make sure that he doesn't drive a bus ever again. We trust our kids with these drivers & this was sheer neglect on his part. I followed up this morning & notified the principal of the school about the inncident,he was shocked & said that he would also be contacting the transportation department. We are taking it one day at a time,and keeping a close eye on DD,but she is handling it better than I think most adults would. Thanks for all of the well wishes. I just never thought this would be something to worry about & wanted to make other parents aware of what could happen when you least expect it.

The bus driver told my husband the kids told him no one was getting off at the stop & that he didn't even realize a child had gotten off the bus,therefore the only person to blame is the driver.

So the driver was looking to the children to tell him what was going on? He's the adult, he's responsible for knowing who is where at all times when making a stop. He is seriously saying that he made the effort to open the door, didn't see a child walk past him to get off the bus and then didn't look at the door again when he made the effort to close it? I'm having a hard time believing that. I'm glad the bus company is taking this seriously and investigating it. I'm also very glad that your daughter is ok.

OP I'm so glad you DD is OK... the bus driver was at fault an does need to be reported.

Good Luck getting rid of a bus driver many many years ago when I was in Jr & Sr high school I had the worlds worst bus driver ALL PARENTS on the route tried many times to get rid of him an his sub without any luck. He was not removed till the routes was switched an he got a route in the rich kids neighborhood he lasted 2 days there.

I can't say as the bus driver ever drove bus sober at least 2 days a week he'd forget to call his sub an we had no way to school. When he did remember to call sub the sub did not stop to pick us up we had to run along side of bus an hop on. If you was not at your stop he kept going even if he saw you coming. He stood up in seat swung a whip an called off reindeer.

I lived at the begining of the route about the 4th stop ride to school should have taken about 35 to 45 mins the sub usually made the drive in 10 mins on very narrow curvy hilly roads an there usually wasn't more than 10 kids on the bus rather than the 60 that rode bus.

Even worse than not having ride to school was when bus did not come pick us up at school at 3:00 NOTHing WORSE THAN BEING STRANDED AT SCHOOL LOL.

Bus driver even stopped with kids on bus an got gas we'd all get off bus go in the store an buy our candy an cigs.

Bus driver also stopped at the local ice cream stand an let us buy ice cream

On the rare occasion bus was on time pickin us up chance was we was going to be late anyway because his own kids rode his bus, usually he had to leave bus sittin in middle of road go back in the house ,( house sat way back off the road too) wake up the kids an wait for them to get ready for school. We'd sit there sometimes a half hour waiting.

Some of us wised up tho started followin him to house we'd go in watch tv an make breakfast an eat his food.

My kids tho we have lived on a bus route has NEVER EVER rode school bus to or from school I've always taken them an picked them up.

Wow, that is horrible. I'm glad your daughter is ok. I'm glad you are taking this so seriously and I hope the right action is taken. Good luck!

im glad that your daughter is safe. back in october where i live there was a boy who was running to catch the bus when he tripped over his backpack and fell the back bus tires rolled over him and he was killed. the father is now suing the school board and his mother watched it all happen from her car.

She is home safe & sound,and had a new driver today. A couple kids on the bus saw what happened yesterday & asked her if she was ok as soon as she got on the bus. I still can't believe how well she is handling all of this.

The driver is REQUIRED to be aware of where a child is and should NEVER close a door while the child is still near it. It is the driver's responsibility to make sure a child is off the bus and away from it safely before leaving. BTW, how many kids do you have?? Just curious because as a parent, I expect the driver to protect my child to the best of his/her ability. I have had at least one child riding a bus since 1997 and I know the requirements of our bus drivers. I also know that had this incident happened here the driver very well could be fired. So I guess if the school board and head of transportation feels the driver is responsible than I have the same rights as do the other parents. And please explain who is to blame in this situation if it is not the driver?? Is it the child who has no control over the door controls or who?? @@

Op here, I have talked again with my daughter & my husband to make sure I understood what had happened clearly. The bus driver told my husband the kids told him no one was getting off at the stop & that he didn't even realize a child had gotten off the bus,therefore the only person to blame is the driver. My daughter hadn't stopped or hesitated. She is seeming to be fine,but she could still be in shock from everything. My DH took her to the doctor just to confirm there were no injuries. She isn't even sore today,and went off to school happy & healthy. I contacted the bus transportation dept. right after it happened & we also filed a police report just so it is on the record. There is a investigation pending within them to see what happened. I was also told that while it was under investigation he will not be driving a bus again. I am trying to make sure that he doesn't drive a bus ever again. We trust our kids with these drivers & this was sheer neglect on his part. I followed up this morning & notified the principal of the school about the inncident,he was shocked & said that he would also be contacting the transportation department. We are taking it one day at a time,and keeping a close eye on DD,but she is handling it better than I think most adults would. Thanks for all of the well wishes. I just never thought this would be something to worry about & wanted to make other parents aware of what could happen when you least expect it.

I am so glad they are taking this serious and if you find out he is driving a bus again I would immediately contact the media so they can warn all others in the viewing area. I am glad your dd is handling it all well and appears to have no pain as well. The driver should always be watching the kids when he stops the bus and opens the doors.

How absolutely terrifying!!! I'm glad you're pursuing to every degree you can.

How oblivious did the bus driver have to be? It took him 75feet to realize this? Isn't the diver's seat right next to the door? He should've noticed immediately. Forget retrained, he needs to be fired! Not everyone was meant to drive buses.

OP here again. Thanks you so much for all of the well wishes,as the days go on she really is not any different then before the accident. We found out last night that a neighboor waiting for her child at the next stop heard both my DD & DH screaming. They were standing a good 1000 feet away from the bus,now I wonder even more how the driver had no clue,or didn't hear them. I need to call the supirintendant of the school back on Tuesday,he left a message friday but I didn't get it till he had already left for the day. Thanks again for the good wishes.

DD 6 was getting off the bus today & the driver shut the door of the bus on her back pack. She was stuck to the side of the door while her back pack was still in the bus. Thank god my DH saw thw whole thing unfold from our front porch,he ran after the bus yelling until the driver saw him & stopped. It took @75 feet for him to stop the bus & for DD to be released from the door. Luckily in all the craziness she stayed calm & picked up her feet,and held on to her back pack straps till the bus came to a stop. Dh took her to the doctor & she doesn't have a scratch on her,although that wouldn't have been the case if she had left her feet down or tried to take her backpack off to get loose. She is still pretty shaken up, and may be sore tomorow but I hate to think of how much worse this could have been.
I just wanted to share so maybe you guys could talk to your kids about what to do in this situation. I never thought I needed to tell my daughter what to do if she was trapped & the bus was dragging her down the road,luckily she is a smart girl and used common sense to keep herself safe.

WOW!! your daughter is lucky to have reacted very reacted very quickly! I am glad she is ok!

I have a similar problem with DS's bus driver. I have actually called the school and bus company to complain about this but for some reason it keeps happening.
Anyway, DS's bus driver will start driving away when the kids are still standing up!:scared1: I am scared that my kid or someone else's kid will get hurt. This is the same lady who has a lead foot when driving, BTW. Several times she has had to slam on the brakes at our bus stop! Our road is 25 MPH.
I know other parents at the stop have talked to her but their words must have fallen on deaf ears.
What happened to BUS SAFETY? They stress it with the kids but what about the drivers? Not only that but, in R.I. they have bus monitors. Here in Ct they do not!

Kids are getting to much homework nowdays, a 6 yr. old should hot have a back pack so filled with books that a door could grab it.

they always say this generation is not as smart as the last ones, but do they go back to the way it used to be? NO, they just add more classes more hrs. of study and lest free time so the kids burn out by HS.

So glad she was not hurt, but that has to be very very scary, night mare type stuff that is!

Kids are getting to much homework nowdays, a 6 yr. old should hot have a back pack so filled with books that a door could grab it.

they always say this generation is not as smart as the last ones, but do they go back to the way it used to be? NO, they just add more classes more hrs. of study and lest free time so the kids burn out by HS.

So glad she was not hurt, but that has to be very very scary, night mare type stuff that is!

:confused3 What does this have to do with anything? It's possible that the child had no homework, but had a lunchbox, coat or something else.

OP, I am so glad that your DD is ok. Keep contact with the school or bus company (not sure if busses are contracted out there) until something is done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter