OT-recommendations for a photo quilt

ChristyJ

<marquee><font color=9933ff>Hiking Chick</marquee>
My husband and I just returned from a very special trip (first one w/out kids in 13+ years), and I'd like to do something for his 40th birthday (this Dec.) related to the trip. I've googled a couple of websites related to having a quilt made that incorporates photos into it, but don't know how reputable any of these sites/companies really are.

Has anyone ever done something like this? Any recommendations for specific websites, companies, etc. or even other ideas? I do scrapbook, so I know I could make that, but I want something a little different.

Thanks!

If you contact your local quilt shop, they can provide you with the information you're looking for. Most quilt stores offer classes that can teach you how to design and make your quilt. If you don't sew, they may know someone that would be willing to make the quilt top for you.
Memory quilts are very popular. You can buy fabric sheets that you can print your photos onto with your home printer. They are colourfast and with a good quality printer provide beautiful pictures for your quilt. As with scrapbooking, quilting patterns, designs and ideas are endless.
Hope this is of some help to you.

My husband and I just returned from a very special trip (first one w/out kids in 13+ years), and I'd like to do something for his 40th birthday (this Dec.) related to the trip. I've googled a couple of websites related to having a quilt made that incorporates photos into it, but don't know how reputable any of these sites/companies really are.

Thanks!

By this December, do you mean 2007? I highly doubt you will be able to find anyone to make a memory quilt w/less than 2 months notice. You didn't say how many photo's or how big you are thinking, but I made one for my dh's grandma and it took me about a year, probably 6 months of actual sewing. It was very large and had 20 photo's I think.

While I think it's a great idea it is just not feasable for this year.

By this December, do you mean 2007? I highly doubt you will be able to find anyone to make a memory quilt w/less than 2 months notice. You didn't say how many photo's or how big you are thinking, but I made one for my dh's grandma and it took me about a year, probably 6 months of actual sewing. It was very large and had 20 photo's I think.

While I think it's a great idea it is just not feasable for this year.

I found one place online when I was just messing around with the idea that does them in 3 weeks. :confused3 I don't know how reputable it is, but the focus is more for weddings (although I don't see why I couldn't use it for a birthday).
Here's the link I found:
http://www.weddingshowergifts.com/photo_quilts/index.shtml

I found one place online when I was just messing around with the idea that does them in 3 weeks. :confused3 I don't know how reputable it is, but the focus is more for weddings (although I don't see why I couldn't use it for a birthday).
Here's the link I found:
http://www.weddingshowergifts.com/photo_quilts/index.shtml

I'd be leary of anyone who says they can do it in 24 hours. That means they are using a premade quilt and putting photo's on it. I have no idea what process they are using etc. I would put $$ the quality of the quilt is not going to be very high. If you are fine with that, that's fine.

Personally I would go to your local quilt shop and get recommendation of a person who can do a handmade one for you. It will hold up much better, you could pick the fabric colors you liked etc.

Just my .02

ETA: I stand corrected. It says they are handmade. I found this on their website. Might not be so bad.

"photo quilts are handmade by quilters in Missouri. The quilts are then sent to our studio where we scan in your photos, size them, make them black and white and retouch any imperfections. Using a unique printing process, each photo is printed onto a heavy, plastic transfer paper. A commercial heat press is used to transfer the photos onto the quilt. Your photos are returned unharmed with your order."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter