OT - Pt time jobs w/ benefits

Home Depot offers benefits after 90 days. right now they are in the middle of a huge hiring spree

I was also going to say a bank. Either a pt back office job or a teller position. Tellers have great hours as they usually are done by 4:00.

I would love to know what bank you are talking about, all the ones I have worked for (well, really only 2 but most banks around here have the same hours) didn't close to 5 or 6 and later on Friday's, and trust me, the PTer's are there to the end. The reason banks hire PT'ers is to cover the shifts that are the buiest, IE closing time. Also at both of the banks I worked for, PT'ers paid twice as much for the same health coverage as full time employees. But you know you won't work sundays or holidays!

I agree -- my husband lost his job a few years ago and we found private insurance to be much cheaper than Cobra so we did that -- then he got another job with benefits and turned down the insurance because what we were paying was just about the same but provided more flexibility with doctors.

Liz

Any ideas where to start looking? We're paying right at $900 a month for health & dental through my husband's job!:eek: We've seriously thought about trying to find something on our own cheaper. We're a very healthy family. :)

I'm a single mom, but when I was a married mom I started at IKEA part-time. They're great for moms! :thumbsup2

IKEA has very good benefits for part timers AND great flexible hours. IKEA has been routinely named one of the Top 100 companies to work for by Working Mothers.

For Everyone:
-medical, dental, and vision (and the coverage is great!)(complaints about the hospital fee brought it down the next year! the service office listens)
(And at IKEA in the name of equality salary positions pay more for their insurance than hourly!)
-401k where you are fully vested within 6 months and IKEA matches the first 3% and pays 50% against your next 3% contributed (you can have 6% dedicated to the 401k and IKEA pays a matching 4.5%)
-2 to 5 weeks vacation depending on length of service (equal to your regularly worked hours per week for hourly part timers)
-3 personal days
-10 sick days (so 2 weeks worth, basically)
-5 flexible holidays
-free uniforms (shirts and pants)
-$3 subsidized meals in the staff cafe (not just meatballs...)
-15% discount (and oft times greater depending on the celebration plus you can apply your discount to everything including sale items)
-purchase plan (buy what you want equal to a month's salary and have it deducted out of your paycheck in 18 equal installments)
-there is a dedicated "quiet room" for just relaxing, meditating, and praying
-showers/ changing rooms with irons/ lockers/ and a lactation room with a fridge for nursing moms (women only, duh) in each rest room area in the admin area.
-referral services
-smoking cessation/ weight loss program asistance
-discount programs with other companies
-Paid maternity/paternity leave.
-Tuition assistance for undergraduate and graduate school degrees. Co-workers are eligible for a $1,000 bonus one year after completing their degree.
-Extensive professional development and training programs available to cultivate co-worker talent and advancement, as well as mentoring programs and specialized training in such areas as diversity, health/safety and social and environmental responsibility. IKEA was recognized by Training Magazine in the “Training Top 100” List.

IKEA is very much about work/ life balance. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me!

Any ideas where to start looking? We're paying right at $900 a month for health & dental through my husband's job!:eek: We've seriously thought about trying to find something on our own cheaper. We're a very healthy family. :)

We paid $500/ mo with Blue Cross Blue Shield in 2004 I believe.

Actually I found individual medical insurance much, much lower than I had expected to when I decided to become an independent contractor to facilitate working from home. It costs us about the same as our previous employee portion of a group plan. Do some serious research you might find that you can afford it, as I did.

That being said, some companies do extend benefits for part time, though not many. Starbuck's comes to mind. What kind of work are you interested in?

Do your homework on private insurance though! When my hubby got a new contract company with pretty expensive and yet mininal benefit insurance, we looked at private insurance. The agent told us to get the company policy because no private insurance would cover a pre-existing condition. My son had been hospitalized for asthma just 3 months previous. So we are stuck with the expensive/crappy insurance because company plans can't deny coverage if you have your portablility certificate from your previous job. sigh.

[/B]

I would love to know what bank you are talking about, all the ones I have worked for (well, really only 2 but most banks around here have the same hours) didn't close to 5 or 6 and later on Friday's, and trust me, the PTer's are there to the end. The reason banks hire PT'ers is to cover the shifts that are the buiest, IE closing time. Also at both of the banks I worked for, PT'ers paid twice as much for the same health coverage as full time employees. But you know you won't work sundays or holidays!

I work for M&T bank. There are some in PA as is the OP. M-Th our branches are open 9-3:30 or 4. Fridays till 6:00. Many back-office positions have 2nd and 3rd shifts also where you would even get shift-differential. And our PT positions don't pay more for benefits. And of course I do love my Bank Holidays! :woohoo:

Right private insurance doesn't always cover pre-existing conditions so something to consider. We pay about 350.00/month for a private plan through BCBS in our state, a family of 3...we do not have dental though.

I think working in the school system here you are entitled to benefits. Each district is different. On the the upside, you would be off work when your children are not in school. So you do not have to pay for daycare or babysitting . In the summer my whole salary goes to pay for daycamp so I can continue to work. ( I do not work in the schools0
Mary Ellen

I work in a hospital too- Er Clerk, 2nd shift (3 to 11 pm). You can get benefits with a 24 hour position at the hospital... I currently work 16 hours a week, but a lot of my co-workers are other Moms that have SE DH's so they need to carry the insurance. 3 to 11 works well for me with 2 young kids (4 and 2). I work one weekday per week and one weekend day per week.

HTH!

I have a question....those of you offering advice and places to work part time with benefits....are the benefits for the ENTIRE family, or only for the person actually working?

I was astounded to find out that teachers in NC only get coverage for themselves, to cover my family would be an additional $600 for just medical. Dental and vision would have been even more. In CA if we worked 50% or more we got full coverage for the entire family at NO cost to us.

Dawn

Benefits at the hosptial I work at can cover your family, but obvoiusly it will cost more (pre tax from your paycheck)... benefits are rarely ever "free" for an employee or thier family anymore.

HTH!

Where I currently work (full time) the situation is the same. You pay one price for an individual, slightly more for the addition of a spouse or partner, and than a third,higher price for the family plan. I'm lucky in that it is all very reasonable. I know thats not the case everywhere. Its one of the reasons I stay.

Both at IKEA and Whole Foods, you can cover your entire family. As you add people, your contribution goes up. But it's still modest.

I apologize for not reading all the pages of answers.... but if no one has said it... Kohls offers part time benefits.
I'm a manager there, and we have a part timer who ONLY works Saturday nights, but she does it for the discount, medical and dental for her and her daughter. ...

I'm a single mom, but when I was a married mom I started at IKEA part-time. They're great for moms! :thumbsup2

IKEA has very good benefits for part timers AND great flexible hours. IKEA has been routinely named one of the Top 100 companies to work for by Working Mothers.

For Everyone:
-medical, dental, and vision (and the coverage is great!)(complaints about the hospital fee brought it down the next year! the service office listens)
(And at IKEA in the name of equality salary positions pay more for their insurance than hourly!)
-401k where you are fully vested within 6 months and IKEA matches the first 3% and pays 50% against your next 3% contributed (you can have 6% dedicated to the 401k and IKEA pays a matching 4.5%)
-2 to 5 weeks vacation depending on length of service (equal to your regularly worked hours per week for hourly part timers)
-3 personal days
-10 sick days (so 2 weeks worth, basically)
-5 flexible holidays
-free uniforms (shirts and pants)
-$3 subsidized meals in the staff cafe (not just meatballs...)
-15% discount (and oft times greater depending on the celebration plus you can apply your discount to everything including sale items)
-purchase plan (buy what you want equal to a month's salary and have it deducted out of your paycheck in 18 equal installments)
-there is a dedicated "quiet room" for just relaxing, meditating, and praying
-showers/ changing rooms with irons/ lockers/ and a lactation room with a fridge for nursing moms (women only, duh) in each rest room area in the admin area.
-referral services
-smoking cessation/ weight loss program asistance
-discount programs with other companies
-Paid maternity/paternity leave.
-Tuition assistance for undergraduate and graduate school degrees. Co-workers are eligible for a $1,000 bonus one year after completing their degree.
-Extensive professional development and training programs available to cultivate co-worker talent and advancement, as well as mentoring programs and specialized training in such areas as diversity, health/safety and social and environmental responsibility. IKEA was recognized by Training Magazine in the “Training Top 100” List.

IKEA is very much about work/ life balance. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me!

Wow...I went back to read some of the responses... I wanna go work for IKEA!! LOL
I still have to work fulltime for about a yr or so... but I"m hoping I can afford to go part time after that...

Hi there! I know it's in a couple of previous posts, but I just wanted to put this out there. I work for a bank as a teller (live in the New England area) that will offer benefits to part timers. Part time is considered to be 20+ hours per week, 30+ is full time. I carry our dental and medical, and have matching on a 401k. I receive discounts from Dell, Verizon Wireless, etc. This job has been so great for me! I have a DS 3 who is with my Mom three days a week, and my husband on the other day I work. I can't speak highly enough of what I do. It can be a pressured sales environment, but I work with a really good team, we try our best and that's that. I don't take home a lot between my contributions to retirment and the insurance, but it's totally worth it!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter