• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT: Prayers needed for our Golden Retriever -Update #44

JoiseyMom said:
I took our golden, Sandy, to the vet today. He has had bouts of not eating for days, and then being fine. Well he was very lathargic last night and didn't look good at all. I didn't go to work today, and called the vet and took him in. They took x-rays and found a very very large mass on his spleen. The next step was an ultrasound. If they found more tumors, then it would be cancer, and well...:(. If they didn't find anything else on the ultrasound, then they would have to do surgery to find out what is going on and to remove the mass. We are hoping and praying that he doesn't have cancer and that he will be fine. He is going into surgery at around 3:00 PM. If they find something else during the sugery, they will call us to see what we want to do. If things don't go well I would have been the only one of my family (dh & 4 kids) who got to say goodbye to him. He is only 6 years old :(.

Any good thoughts and prayers would really be welcome!

Thanks everyone!

OMG! I hope everything's OK!!!! Goldens are the most loveable dogs!
I would do anything and spend everything I had for my golden if it came down to it!

That is wonderful news that Sandy is home! Baby him and give him hugs from all of us here!! :grouphug:

Glad to hear that Sandy is home and doing well!! Prayers on their way that the biopsy comes back with good news.

Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers. Unfortunately the biopsy came back positive. Sandy has cancer. He will have about 2 months to live. We haven't told our younger 2 kids yet, we will do that tomorrow. One of our older sons is currently living in CA, in the AF, and well be in Alabama for 6 weeks. He is going to see if he can fly home one weekend.

Again, thanks everyone!

I'm sorry to hear your news and send prayers and pixie dust to you and your entire family!

JoiseyMom said:
Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers. Unfortunately the biopsy came back positive. Sandy has cancer. He will have about 2 months to live. We haven't told our younger 2 kids yet, we will do that tomorrow. One of our older sons is currently living in CA, in the AF, and well be in Alabama for 6 weeks. He is going to see if he can fly home one weekend.

Again, thanks everyone!

:grouphug: Sorry to hear the sad news.

I am so sorry to hear this...my heartaches for you! :sad2: I know from experience that this is very hard news to come to terms with. My hope for you is that you will all (including Sandy of course) enjoy the time you have left! Make lots of memories - they really do last a lifetime! And be sure to take lots of pictures of him and your children having a great time - those will become very precious to you also. I am praying that you will have a lot longer together, sending you :grouphug: and pixiedust:! I am goig through a very difficult time right now with my furbaby and everytime I say a prayer for him I will also be thinking about your family and Sandy!

I'm so sorry. I have a poem called the rainbow bridge that I copied here for you. It gave great comfort to my children when we lost a pet. If you don't think you can read it right now, scroll past it and come back another time.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Aww, I'm sad to read Sandy's biopsy was positive. It's so hard when our pets get old or sick. I hope you are able to enjoy some beautiful days with him. Spoil him rotten, and take lots of pictures. We had one done professionally on the beach when one of our dogs was diagnosed with bone cancer. I love that picture, it still sits in my bedroom 15 years later.

There is a website that I found helpful when I lost two of my dogs recently called www.petloss.com . There is one link called Healing and Inspirational Poetry that helped me when I knew it was time but was having trouble going forward. The poems are tearjerkers, but what helped me the most, I think, was the knowing there were so many others who'd felt the same profound loss that I was feeling, enough to write these beautiful tributes. There is also a children's book called Dog Heaven, sold in bookstores, which helped me a lot, too. Our kids' kindergarten teacher sent it home for the kids, but it was me it helped the most. Go figure.

A :hug: for you, and scratches to Sandy. paw:

Sorry to hear about your furbaby...I cannot imagine what you must be feeling right now, and you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time!! We have a dalmation that we have had since she was 6 months old. I rescued her from an Army family that the "man of the house" had been beating her. It was a very sad situation and I told them I was taking her or turning them into the police. It took her a long time to trust DH and I, but she soon realized all we wanted to do was love her. We have had her for almost 11 years now and I know her time on earth these days are getting numbered because her life expectancy is only 12-14 years. We love her so much and she is the only pet we have ever owned. She was here when both of our babies were brought home and she protects them like they are her own. I don't know what we are going to do when she has to go to doggie heaven, but we will get through it somehow... :guilty:

Here she is: Lucy

CIMG1699.jpg

:grouphug:

I am so very sorry. Give him lots of love from all of us dog lovers. My prayers are with your family.

Sorry to hear.... Was the cancer just in his spleen or did it spread? My Winston had it in his spleen, they removed it and he did about 6 months of chemo and he lived for a couple years after. He was 14 when he died. A very ripe old age for Goldens. And they told me it would only be a year at best.....He was a good dog and I still miss him but now we have a mess of a dog, his dad was a German shepherd and his mom was a Beagle( :confused3 ) but he's such a love. They are such a part of the family....good luck

Tracy Savage said:
Sorry to hear.... Was the cancer just in his spleen or did it spread? My Winston had it in his spleen, they removed it and he did about 6 months of chemo and he lived for a couple years after. He was 14 when he died. A very ripe old age for Goldens. And they told me it would only be a year at best.....He was a good dog and I still miss him but now we have a mess of a dog, his dad was a German shepherd and his mom was a Beagle( :confused3 ) but he's such a love. They are such a part of the family....good luck

The tumor was in his spleen. It was the only tumor found. The biopsy of the spleen came back as positive for cancer. The vet says he will have about 2 months without chemo, and up to 6-8 months if he has chemo. This is a very aggressive cancer. The cancer is in the blood and the tumors usually grow in the spleen or heart. Maybe your dog had a different type of cancer? Sandy has hemangiosarcoma. I am very happy you had so much time with your dog.

I don't remember them giving it a name, but they said it was the size of a baseball and could rupture at any time. He never acted sick, but I could feel the lump on his side and he had been to the vet for shots and they never said anything, surely they felt it too. We went to a different vet(same office) the next time and he was alarmed, did xrays and he had surgery the next day.They do say cancer is very common in GRs. He did very well on chemo, they don't get sick like people, It was't cheap though. Would I do the chemo again? I don't know. He also had prostate(sp) cancer when he was 9. no chemo needed. Sorry again ,give him a big furry dog hug....

So sorry to read your update and the news. Wishing you and your family well over the next few months. :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter