OT Photographer advice :)

A few years back we did wedding photography and found it to be a headache. While we love photography and enjoyed shooting the couples special day, it became frustrating. Brides were reading budget forums that said to bargain the photographer and to get 8 hours of coverage plus an album, all images on disk, and proof images for dirt cheap.

While I agree to have a variety of price ranges and options available, don't undercut yourself. Editing takes time, and you don't want to give your work away for free. Also the cost of image processing adds up. We use to go through Pictage for prints and albims, and Zookbooks for albums, I've also heard good things about Collage. But as it's been a number of years since we last used them I'm not sure how their quality is today.

Make sure to get things in writing. Have a good contract that your customers sign.

Are there any regional discussion boards that you could post your services on?

As for props, look around at local photographer supply stores and look at others images ot see what works and what doesn't. Then think about locations that are available to you to use. Is there a local spring event in your community that you could use to get your name out there. If you're able to contract with the event to have a booth you could offer images on CD or images printed from a quality printer on the spot, or to mail the images to customer.

Props - Good places to find props include resale shops, garage sales, and flea markets. We have picked up wicker chairs, a vanity set, rocking horses, etc. Items often need a little TLC but it is well worth the time for the savings.

My DH and I have a photography business. Like others have said, don't under sale yourself. People are willing to pay the price for quality work. There is a photographer named C J Lewis who has some great webcasts and information about growing your business. http://www.cjlewis.com/

Also, are you familiar with the freedom in information act. Based on this act you can obtain a list of the juniors at your local schools. My DH and I use this list to market our services to next years seniors. Spring is the perfect time to start marketing to next years seniors. All it takes is a few satisfied clients for your name to start spreading rapidly.

Best of luck in your new venture. :thumbsup2

#1 You are asking this question on a budget board. There are alot of responses saying they look for inexpensive photographers, who include a CD in the session.

Just wanted to ad (for my part) it's not just that I'm looking for a budget photographer... I don't really need a photographer, I do take pretty good pics myself. I even have friends making a fuss about them and I've offered to go along and take pics for them for their Christmas cards :goodvibes BUT for a family wanting to do pics like I do, just for holiday cards or once in a while, I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars for it. Yes, if they were senior pics and this was important to me (which it's not) I'd pay more, but just to go shoot some family pictures you just can't charge a lot and still get as much work. Even people that don't think they take good pics will do it themselves over paying hundreds for it. It really just depends on the type of business you want to get into. If it's the big weddings and such, yeah, don't even offer the small stuff, but if you are wanting a family oriented business you have to keep it affordable when it's something "anyone can go do". And this is they type of business I was thinking of when offering suggestions, not that I'm LOOKING for a cheap photographer.

Just wanted to ad (for my part) it's not just that I'm looking for a budget photographer... I don't really need a photographer, I do take pretty good pics myself. I even have friends making a fuss about them and I've offered to go along and take pics for them for their Christmas cards :goodvibes BUT for a family wanting to do pics like I do, just for holiday cards or once in a while, I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars for it. Yes, if they were senior pics and this was important to me (which it's not) I'd pay more, but just to go shoot some family pictures you just can't charge a lot and still get as much work. Even people that don't think they take good pics will do it themselves over paying hundreds for it. It really just depends on the type of business you want to get into. If it's the big weddings and such, yeah, don't even offer the small stuff, but if you are wanting a family oriented business you have to keep it affordable when it's something "anyone can go do". And this is they type of business I was thinking of when offering suggestions, not that I'm LOOKING for a cheap photographer.

My intent pointing out it's a budget board wasn't to offend anyone here, I hope that isn't how it was taken. The point is though, the OP needs to consider that this is a place where people are looking to save money. OP is looking to make money. They are conflicting goals.

You can't run a business by catering it to the prices budget seekers are willing to pay. As has been mentioned, there are so many costs in a photography business beyond just a-person-who-can-take-a-decent-picture. I got into my business thinking I'd be the bargain alternative for the working family sort of thing. I had plenty of business (I still have folks calling 3 years after I closed up shop), but I was working LONG hours for about what basically amounted to minimum wage. A business owner needs to be running a business, not a public service. It was a lesson I learned and I share only so OP doesn't have to learn it the same way I did. A business needs to be planned looking at expenses, and then seeing if there is a market for the product that makes it profitable.

There are people who will pay "senior picture prices" for photographs. It's a different level of product- the session experience, the image, nice prints and products, delivery, and followup. I'm not one of the people. I can't afford it and like you I'm more a DIY sort of gal. Like I said, though, it's a different clientele, and one it would be wise for OP to consider. It does require more than someone with a nice camera snapping some pics and putting them on CD for a cheap price. (I'm not saying that is what OP is doing, but I know many starting photographers who use that "business model". I'm really trying to help here making sure it's a well thought out plan. Intent not to insult anyone, just share the experience I had with my business.)

My intent pointing out it's a budget board wasn't to offend anyone here, I hope that isn't how it was taken. {QUOTE]

Oh NO NO NO offense taken! :goodvibes I just wanted to clarify what I was thinking since I was looking as a my type of consumer and didn't think of what you were saying (in the first post) and I agree with ya!

The only thing we can't do in our house is dry wall seams :laughing: between DH and I we do EVERYTHING ourselves (and we've done a lot!) I tend to look at things in a do-it-your-selfers style and that is what I was commenting on. I tend to forget that there really aren't that many of us around :rotfl: (I about died when my great friend HIRED someone to put regular ole, easy to put up lights in her house :eek:)

As for actual props, a lot of photographers hate them because they can seem over used but clients don't think they are over used and often like them. A lot of props can be bought at places like TJ Maxx and Homegoods. Flea markets and thrift stores are also good places. Here are some that I've seen used, sometimes well and sometimes not:

-Old velvet chairs or loveseats. Of course if you don't have a studio you have to be able to transport them. Clients seem to love them plunked down in the middle of a field.
-Handmade baskets and soft/textured blankets for babies.
-Textured rugs.
-Washtubs for babies.
-Knitted cocoons and hats for newborns. Also, ABC blocks to spell the name.
-Vintage suitcases.
-Barns.
-Wooden fences.
-Wagons - little red ones and rustic ones
-Railroad tracks (yeah, kind of corny but clients often love it).
-Grafitti walls, brick/stone walls.
-Old painted wooden doorways.
-Stairs. Sounds kind of goofy but take a look around and often you can find a cool staircase somewhere.
-Tutus or Petticoats or hats.
-Flowers.
-Overgrown fields - know what poison ivy, poison oak and such look like before you have a client venture out too far...lol.

As for getting your name out there, I think PP have mentioned getting a FB page showcasing your work and/or start a blog showcasing your latest work. Also I think someone mentioned this but do a couple of "marathon" sessions at a park on weekends at a discounted price. Like, a Valentine special for couples or a spring session for families. You could advertise these discounted sessions on craigslist. I know a couple of people who started doing that and their business really took off. They offered no post-processing (clients could pay a bit more if they wanted post-processing) and a CD only with copyright release.

Good luck!

Also @ OP with the freedom in information act..how do you obtain information? I know some of the schools around here require you to photograph with a specific company in order to have your photo in the yearbook..do I need to contact the local schools and see what their policies are?? I really really really like the idea of doing senior portraits and have some awesome locations to shoot them at I just need to figure out how to reach that area....thanks again for all the help!

While there are a number of schools that do require you to go with a specific company to have your picture in the yearbook, there are plenty of families who are looking for pictures that acurately represent their senior. I would consider placing an ad in the newspaper or if your town has a FB page, on there. Also word of mouth from those who have seniors helps. You can also see if the lcoal schools do a newsletter of sorts that your information can be included with.

funny, my friend I want to use to take the boys' pics just posted this on fb with this note "For my photographer friends out there, this video has some good insights on the business." Not sure if you'll get anything out of it, I didn't listen to it but thought I'd pass it on! You can listen as you are online, not a watch it thing:

http://vimeo.com/17641925

With the budget board vs. making money again I think it wasn't really clear what I was hoping to get from here..to me it is not about getting rich..my prices are lower than higher names for 2 reasons: 1. I am just starting out taking photos for others and I am trying to get my name out there..2. I don't want to be that photographer that many can't afford..I know how much work goes into editing (trust me I spent 6 hrs alone in 2 days) but I enjoy that..I would rather offer a price that many can afford i.e. $75 for a 1hr session w/ CD and offering monthly specials that keep me fairly busy than to have prices set where I am only having 1 or 2 people interested every couple of months.. We live in a country town and many many many people just don't have that kind of money to blow and many do..being told that my prices are great and my work is amazing makes it all worth it at the end of the day

Are you legally set up to be a business before taking on clients for money? If not, you should be. That $75 CD will be nothing by the time you pay taxes and get insurance. Uncle Sam doesn't care if your just doing it for fun.

I would also highly recommend that you take Michelle's advice and have your work critiqued by other professional photographers. It's eye opening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter