• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT- People to People Ambassador Program?

djh96

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know anything about this program? My daughter would like to go with this group to Australia next summer. I'm curious if anyone here has any experience with them.

One of the girls in my DD's girl scout troop went last summer to Australia. This is a really indepentdent 13 yo girl. She said it was fun but she'd never do it again. They were gone for about 18 days, lots of traveling. She felt like she missed the whole summer with her family. She thought she'd make lifelong friends doing this but it didn't work out like that for her. I can't imagine ever letting my pre teen and teen daughters out of the state let alone out of the country without us parents along.

There have been a lot of threads on the DIS about them, but with Search being what it is, you'll probably never find them. That said, expect a lot of disparaging comments.

I was a P-to-P Student Ambassador waaaaay back in '81. It was a fantastic experience for me as a high school senior. We started with an orientation session in Washington, DC for a few days (I understand they don't do this anymore.) Followed by a month in Europe--visited Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France and Holland. The best part was my homestays--I lived with families in Germany, Austria and Holland for a few days each. Actually living with them, going to school with the kids, talking with the parents, attending family functions with them--all gave me such a great understanding of people in other countries.

The cost was crazy expensive then and even worse now.

My niece went on a P-to-P trip two years ago. She stayed with a family in France, and toured England, France and Italy. She loved it and made long-lasting friendships. She did have some issues with the chaperones.

So, to sum up this too-long post (sorry), if the cost is something you can live with and you carefully check out the chaperones, this can be an amazing experience for your child. BTW--how old is your daughter? I'm not sure I'd send anyone younger than high school age on the trip. The supervision is not always as good as it should be.

my sister did this in high school and I think it was great for her. It did cost but she raised the money through donations mostly. She is now 26 and the family she stayed with in Australia was at her wedding last year and have visited a few times.

i can't wait until my DD's are old enough and I can send them away for this.

also, a better way to do disboards search is to put what you are looking for in google and then add disboards.com in the line and it works better than the board search.

Thanks for the responses. My daughter is a very independent 13yold. She will be 14 for the trip. We were actually thinking we would rather her go at a younger age than high school. Our thoughts were the supervision is probably greater & kids don't have that invincible attitude yet.

She wanted to go to England & Holland previously but Australia seems safer to us?

Several of the chaperones are teachers from our district but I need to check into the others. We are just in the preliminary stages but the thought of her being half way around the world isn't appealing. But the experience would be amazing.

I went on my first P2P trip in 2000. I was 14 and went with the middle school group. It was absolutely the single best thing my parents ever did for me- EVER. Even beyond college. At that age I was thrown into a group of people whom I was forced to make friends with, travelling abroad-- and I learned more about myself than you could ever have imagined. You have no one to literally lean on other than youself-- so you start digging within and figuring out who you truly are. I kept a journal daily for college credit (this was a college credit program back then-- im not sure if it still offers it or not). I definitely made a lot of lifelong friends. We went to Ireland, England, and Wales. I remember both homestays very very clearly. This was the beginning of my travels.

In 2001 I wanted to go back and do P2P again. I raised the money through donations (I did this both years-- but ESPECIALLY this year) and went to Australia and New Zealand. It was the summer I will never forget. I made the most amazing friends. A lot were dorkier than me-- well-- they all were. But I have a newfound respect for people who are smarter and choose to further their education while the rest of their friends sit at home and waste the summer. There is a lot of learning and educational stuff on the trip-- but theres a heck of a lot of fun to be had too!

It is expensive--- but if you want an honest opinion- let her go! Those are the summers I will never ever forget. I made lifelong friends who I still keep in touch with. We got to experience things our parents dream out. After having had that experience I was accepted into an International Studies program. If your daughter is outgoing, likes to meet new people, or likes learning-- i think its perfect! I cannot honestly remember anyone that was unhappy on our trips. We got to call home as much as we want, and I just cant tell you how many memories I walked away with. We did reunions with the groups several years after. I still keep in touch with a lot of them now!

If you have any questions or anything let me know! I loved the experience!

You know, the one thing I really dislike about this program is the initial letter they send out. It is worded in a way that makes it sound like your son/daughter has been awarded a special honor and will get to do the trip for free -- almost like a scholarship or something. Then you go to the meeting and leave with sticker shock!

I have been researching several student tour groups lately as my DD is really itching to go overseas independently. It seems as though everyone of them has both good and bad reviews. However, the P2P program seems to be a cut above several of the others. For the most part, you get what you pay for...so don't focus on the other student tours that are a much lower cost as your child will end up spending most of their time waiting around at airports, cheap hotels etc. instead of experiencing a different culture.

You know, the one thing I really dislike about this program is the initial letter they send out. It is worded in a way that makes it sound like your son/daughter has been awarded a special honor and will get to do the trip for free -- almost like a scholarship or something. Then you go to the meeting and leave with sticker shock!

I have been researching several student tour groups lately as my DD is really itching to go overseas independently. It seems as though everyone of them has both good and bad reviews. However, the P2P program seems to be a cut above several of the others. For the most part, you get what you pay for...so don't focus on the other student tours that are a much lower cost as your child will end up spending most of their time waiting around at airports, cheap hotels etc. instead of experiencing a different culture.

I completely agree. It was really expensive when I went... and im sure its even more so now. However, the money doesnt compare with the friendships and memories that I will absolutely never forget. It gives me chills almost to think about it. I remember my parents doing whatever they could to let me go-- and I could never repay them for it (well I could in money- but never in what it means to me). I look back on those photos and still wow over them. One of my best friends is from that group. We are both married now (I in WDW and her at home)-- but we talk nearly everyday! Its totally worth it!

By the way it is somewhat of an honor to be chosen. You can recommend people for the program, but they also look at academics and teachers often recommend people as well. I think thats why the letter initially comes and appears as a special honor. I remember the first letter and thought my parents would never go for it. I do believe ours mentioned price though. They may have changed that since.

My son traveled with PP several years ago. I am in Lancaster County, please PM me if you have any questions, maybe it is the same P2P group my DS went with.

Also, my IL's have friends that are P2P chaparones, they are just wonderful folks, and they really sing the praises of P2P.

My son was to go to Austraila when he was "just" 16 yo (before he could fully drive) and that would have been between his 10th and 11 th grade. We "required" him to save/work/fundraise HALF the cost. He knew when he was 14 YO that this was something he wanted to do, and he knew he needed half the $$.

Well, in the week before he was to leave on his trip, he came down with mono, it was horrible. but thankfully we had the trip insurance, and we received every penny back.

And he went to England, Wales and Ireland the next summer.

it is an "honor" because you must be selected by a teacher/counselor and in our area, you also have an interview you must attend and chat with the chaparones, before the chaperones decide WHO is going.

So, if the first impression is of an immature child, one who doesn't like to get up and GO in the morning, they may not select you.

And our friends who are chaparones, they really sing the praises of this organization. They have always said, "they stay in the best hotels, have meals in the best restaurants, visit the best museums, have the most fun, etc."
The trip to Austraila is more adventuresome than the trip to England. Ya know, sand surfing vs. visiting Big Ben. But each trip is really wonderful.

it is an "honor" because you must be selected by a teacher/counselor and in our area, you also have an interview you must attend and chat with the chaparones, before the chaperones decide WHO is going.

So, if the first impression is of an immature child, one who doesn't like to get up and GO in the morning, they may not select you.

And our friends who are chaparones, they really sing the praises of this organization. They have always said, "they stay in the best hotels, have meals in the best restaurants, visit the best museums, have the most fun, etc."
The trip to Austraila is more adventuresome than the trip to England. Ya know, sand surfing vs. visiting Big Ben. But each trip is really wonderful.

Wow i had totally forgot about the interview process. I did have that as well!

I agree the Australia/New Zeland trip is more adventurous. However, I really liked the Ireland, England trip a little more. In Australia we got to stay on the outback, go horseback riding, sand dune surfing, repelling in New Zealand, stuff like that. But the England, Ireland, Wales trip was a TON of fun! We stayed on a horsefarm and went on the absolute most gorgeous breathtaking boat ride you have ever been on. We were there during the queen mothers birthday and they did fireworks in london everynight--- which was a real experience. The history is so rich there. I wasnt a history person until I went on that trip.

My daughter started getting these letters when she was in 4th grade. 21 days in Alaska was $5000.00. This year it is Italy & Greece. I had a girl from my Girl Scout troop go last year and she is very very shy and her mom thought it would help with her independance. I had her for a weekend camp and she couldn't even pack her own bag! I think they pick anyone willing to pay the fee, I don't think it's that big of an honor.

OP if you have any questions let me know and I'll try to help you if I can. I really do believe it is a great program!

I've always considered them junk mail and toss them. No way would I let DD, 12, do this.

My niece did the Australia trip 2 summers ago and had a blast! I believe the cost was around $7000 but she was gone for almost a month.
My dd got a letter last summer for UK, Ireland, and some where else?? but we were already going to Denmark for two weeks so the trip wouldn't work out. This year she got one for Italy, Malta, and ??? but this summer we are going to Germany. For us the $$ is alot we could all go (6 of us) for the same price as her going by herself. The only way I could see her going is if it was to China or India and only because I don't see us traveling there anytime soon with my youngest DS who has autism.
HTH,

Both of my daughters get these every year and we have never been able to track down 'who' supposedly nominated them

That tells me its pretty much everyone who gets the letters. Its a travel agency for teenagers basically

Our oldest went on the Tale of Two Cities (England and France) about 4 years ago, she was 11 at the time. We were a little unsure at first, but the chaparones and the leader put at us ease. She had a blast and learned a thing or two in the process.

They went everywhere. In France they visited the Eiffel Tower, the Louve, Normandy, Versilles, and Disneyland Paris. Took the overnight ferry to England, and visited Bath, Oxford, Warwick Castle, The Tower of London, Churchills war room, and even took in a play. For everything they did and based on the places they stayed I felt it was worth the $$$$ at the time. At the age she went they did not let the kids stay with a host family, they were always under the watchful eye of the chaparones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter