OT PEI Cottage Rental

LuvDisney3

Earning My Ears
I have a friend who is looking to rent a cottage on the lake in PEI at the end of July beginning of August, but is having some difficulty in locating one. If anyone knows of one, could you please let me know the link or contact information....thanks:goodvibes

you can try vrbo (vacation rentals by ownwers) They are all over the world and usually have great options and some good prices

Just a couple of thoughts on Island cottage rentals from someone that lives on the island. I live in Summerside and can really only speak of the areas around here, there are beautiful beaches on the east end of the Island too. Thoughts to consider:

--there are 2 sides to the island:

South Shore- Northumberland Strait side, water is usually warmer, less likely to have riptides, undertow. Areas to look at on a map, Chelton Provincial Park, Victoria-by-the-Sea

North Shore- Ocean side, water is colder, but these are generally the pictures you think of when thinking of Island Beaches, there are more riptides and one should be careful on the North Shore especially during high waves. Cavendish National Beach is on NOrth Shore, beautiful but crowded. Other areas you could consider, Darnley, Cabot Provincial Park.

--we don't have lakes, do have rivers, my guess is that your friend would like oceanfront.

--Cavendish in general is very touristy. Things cost more even Tim's coffee. They actually turn the street lights off for 8 mths of the year and just use them in peak season!!

Good luck to your friend finding a spot.
:)

It really depends on what your friend is looking for. Do they want to be in the thick of things tourist wise? If so, head over to Cavendish. If they want to be somewhere quite, where you feel like you're in your own little world, then head out the Souris way.

We've been here before, in the land of the very quiet;
sprypointcottages.netfirms.com

Another Islander here...my top two favorite beach area's on PEI would be in the Darnley area or up around Basin Head(Souris). Both locations have wonderful beachfront properties and are within an hours drive of the Provincial capital, Charlottetown.

Good Luck.

Another Islander here...my top two favorite beach area's on PEI would be in the Darnley area or up around Basin Head(Souris). Both locations have wonderful beachfront properties and are within an hours drive of the Provincial capital, Charlottetown.

Good Luck.

Another islander here!!! Darnley area is ideal, pretty well in the middle of the island if anyone wants to go to either end of it to tour around. Basin Head is beautiful but not ideal for any Island wide touring, because it is pretty much on the eastern tip.

Is cost of living high on the island? Strongly considering getting out of this province and moving to the East Coast. I was there last summer and fell in love!

Is cost of living high on the island? Strongly considering getting out of this province and moving to the East Coast. I was there last summer and fell in love!

I don't blame you :rotfl2:

We always stay in a cottage on Hampton Beach on the Northumberland Strait. It's about halfway between Summerside and Charlottetown. My DD would choose swimming in the warm water or beachcombing at low tide over an amusement park any day. The only lake-ish areas near there that I can think of would be around New Glasgow.

You can call 1-800-565-7421 for PEI tourism to get a book of accommodations.

The East Coast is Great!!
I like to explain PEI as the province that is smaller in population then many Canadian cities yet with provincial benefits......we have provincial employment and many federal offices too.

There are lots of good qualities to living here, life is slower paced, we still have access to many things, like international airports (Halifax), my DH will take business trips to Toronto in one day by flying out of Moncton. shopping (Moncton, Halifax) beautiful summers, falls, and springs, winter can get long but for the most part that is a Canadian thing.

Cost of living.....hmmmmm....groceries seem more expensive lately, not sure if they are more then other places.....heating is high, most homes are heated with oil furnace (hot water or forced air) Homes are affordable, Charlottetown having the highest prices. We haven't been hit with the recession the same way as other places although definitely feeling the affects trickling down.

One thing to think of, many people that are here have always been here. It takes time to get the feel of the place.Those that I have seen move "from away" that have had the most success have really thrown themselves into the community. My father who has the biggest Island heart I know is still "from away" after living here 42 years!!!

I wouldn't trade living here, raising my family here, and I have lived in other provinces and seen most of Canada, US, and some of South America.

Sandra :)

Thank you for all of the comments and site suggestions. I have passed on all of the information and hopefully they will be able to find something that works for them :thumbsup2

Hi, two summers ago we stayed at Sandpiper cottages in Stanhope. A 5 min walk to a National Park beach. Small, family run business. Clean, comfortable cottages. PEI is a great place!

The East Coast is Great!!
I like to explain PEI as the province that is smaller in population then many Canadian cities yet with provincial benefits......we have provincial employment and many federal offices too.

There are lots of good qualities to living here, life is slower paced, we still have access to many things, like international airports (Halifax), my DH will take business trips to Toronto in one day by flying out of Moncton. shopping (Moncton, Halifax) beautiful summers, falls, and springs, winter can get long but for the most part that is a Canadian thing.

Cost of living.....hmmmmm....groceries seem more expensive lately, not sure if they are more then other places.....heating is high, most homes are heated with oil furnace (hot water or forced air) Homes are affordable, Charlottetown having the highest prices. We haven't been hit with the recession the same way as other places although definitely feeling the affects trickling down.

One thing to think of, many people that are here have always been here. It takes time to get the feel of the place.Those that I have seen move "from away" that have had the most success have really thrown themselves into the community. My father who has the biggest Island heart I know is still "from away" after living here 42 years!!!

I wouldn't trade living here, raising my family here, and I have lived in other provinces and seen most of Canada, US, and some of South America.

Sandra :)

Awe! I'm so jealous. If DH could find a similar position out there, I would move in a heartbeat, but alas he's a computer guy and he is building a relationship with his company.

I love love love the slower pace of life, stop and smell the sea water (app PEI reference:), no need to always rush. It really is beautiful though, maybe one day I'll buy a summer home out that way if I can afford it and pass the warm season by out East.

Good plan? tee-hee

Thanks for all the advice :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter