OT: online degrees?

homemaker

Mouseketeer
I was a stay at home mom for years and decided to get a job a few years ago. I have been working evenings & weekends(around hubby's job) for about 3years. It is getting really old!! Working retail is not what I want to do, so I think I should go back to school. How do I find the time with 5 children and working 20hrs a week? What about online? Has anyone done this? Can I really get a degree at home online around my schedule? What school is best? This is all making me crazy.

Can you get a degree online: YES

Which is best: that depends.

It is very possible to do, and depending on where you go many schools provide a good education.

If you wish to use your degree, do your research and make sure you pick a program with a good reputation. There are some that are good, some in the middle and some that rightfully hold the title of degree mill (you give us cash, we give you a degree).

Employers know the difference, and the last thing you would want to do is waste your time & money.

PS: if you want more details, feel free to PM me as I earned my Masters this way, and also work in a position where I review resumes regularly.

You would be wise to go through a college or university that also is a brick and mortar school. That means they have face-to-face classes in a classroom, but they also offer classes online. Your diploma would be the same, but you'd be an online environment. You will avoid any negative connotation sometimes associated with those online-only places.

I teach college (face-to-face and online), and I completed a post-graduate certificate in online education, so I do have some experience with the field.

One more point - the cost for an on-line education is very inflated. $20k per year is too much w/o classroom instruction, IMO...

I just want to concur with going with a brick and mortar campus, even if most of your classes are online.

Good luck. You're setting a wonderful example for your children.:goodvibes

I concur with the other posters here. First, it really depends on what you would like to do. Do you want to do some vocational type training or just take a few courses to see if you can handle it? Are you looking for a specific degree program? Most community colleges and universities offer some online classes (the selection will vary by school of course), but the number who would offer an entire program online are much fewer.

Do you already have a degree in something? Or any college coursework completed? You don't have to read my long-winded examples (I'm really excited about my personal experience though!), but I'll just say that yes, it is absolutely do-able if you are committed to it AND you have the support of your family. I get mommy-guilt a lot (and I only have 1 DD) because I have to study instead of play. OTOH, I know it will make things better for us someday (like in 2 years and 23 days when I graduate!). You also have to be self-disciplined to get that work done and remind yourself that you're a student. If you'd like, feel free to PM me - I'm not on here too often right now, but I'd be happy to share more info.

I'll give you a couple of examples of my experience:

My sister had an associate's degree from a community college. She worked for a few years and decided to complete her bachelor's, which she did through DeVry University. She did it all online - never even had to visit the campus (I assume there was a campus as they had a graduation ceremony). She then decided to pursue her Master's (in Public Health) and she is doing it through Seton Hall University. She's online through the year but has to go to New Jersey once a year to do projects and presentations.

I got my 4 year degree from a traditional University. After nearly 10 years, I decided I wanted to go to pharmacy school. I took some pre-reqs online through the local community college - cost was the same as if I'd taken the classes in person. Some classes, I had to go to campus to take exams, others I did completely online. I am now almost done with my 2nd year of pharmacy school - online through Creighton University (they are the only accredited distance learning pharmacy school in the country). I do all my classes online (I'm listening to a lecture right now!) and I go to campus for 1-2 weeks each summer. (My 4th year is all rotations though - no online perks there). Tuition for the online program is the same as for campus. I work about 30 hours a week, my courseload is about 17 hours a semester, and I have just 1 child - it isn't always easy, I'll admit (it's never easy, actually).

I completed my bachelor's and master's at Regis University, both while working full time and raising a family. While I went to in person classes, I also took some courses online and they do offer many degree programs completely online.

The online courses are set up so that you can complete your work at anytime of the day (or night if you so choose). Regis' programs are set up so you have some message board postings due on Wed and then a paper due on Sunday of each week. But the time of day that you complete it is up to you so it is really flexible.

To the 2nd poster's point, employers absolutely will know if the degree you received is from a reputable school or not, so definitely choose wisely.

You can check out Regis at http://www.regis.edu

Hello - I want to chime in with a few points. First, any school you choose should be have an Accreditation from either a regional or national accreditating body. Regional accreditation is the highest level so should always be the first choice for traditional degrees. If you are looking for a certificate or technical program then most likely the school will have national accreditation. Always ask this question first. Also, if the school is not eligible to receive Federal Loan proceeds then it is not a school I would recommend.

Second, online education will allow you to attend school from home but schools have different versions of what is online. Some schools offer synchronous learning meaning that at certain times you are required to be available for web conferences, live online lectures, etc. Other are Asynchronous meaning you will not have live contact at preset times.

It is very important that you understand how you learn before you chose a school. Some online use email for everything and others have online classrooms.

Online schools are extremely expensive and credits earned at many of the schools will not transfer to other schools. Ask if this is the case up front.

You can get an Associates degree from a community college for under $3,000 a year. And you can do that with online courses at many of the colleges. An online only school can charge as much at $20,000 for an associates.

There is nothing wrong with attending an online school as long as it is accreditated. You do not have to attend a brick and mortar school to get a quality education. There is still prejudice regarding online schools but that prejudice is dwindling and will continue to do so. Many of the most powerful employers use online schools for continuing education.

Sorry for the rambling email. I was an Associate Dean for a university and handled online learning. I also teach online for a university. There is much value in online education. You just have to make sure you "educate" (sorry for the pun) yourself before committing to a degree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter