OT: older dental hygenists???

rluey29

Wish I was in Disney, Hooray, Hooray!!!
I'm sorry if this is OT but I'm very curious now that I've been thinking about it. I'm 31, finishing up my bachelors degree, and applying to dental hygiene school soon.

Most of the hygienists I've seen have all been fairly younger (20-40), so where are the old hygienists? Do they all retire early? Is there an age cut off where you're not allowed to work in that field anymore? What's the deal...

My DH is worried about my job security as a late starter, LOL!!!

I don't know but I hope that you are not forced to retire at 40.:scared1:

I am thinking of starting dental hygiene school also and I am already pushing 40.

They are working at my dentists office. I have a few young looking grandmothers there! (I want to say mid to upper 50's-early 60's)

I know they are grandmothers because they talk about their grandchildren.

I'm sorry if this is OT but I'm very curious now that I've been thinking about it. I'm 31, finishing up my bachelors degree, and applying to dental hygiene school soon.

Most of the hygienists I've seen have all been fairly younger (20-40), so where are the old hygienists? Do they all retire early? Is there an age cut off where you're not allowed to work in that field anymore? What's the deal...

My DH is worried about my job security as a late starter, LOL!!!

One of the hygenists at our old Pedi dentist was in her 50's, at our current Pedi dentist they are all in their 30's some in their 20's , but mostly 30's

I wouldn't worry about it!

My sister went back to school at 40 for DH. She turns 50 this year. One of my brownie moms also is finishing up her DH this year and at least 40

I'm a mid 30's hygienist and I worked with an almost 50's one in my current office until recently. I know of several others through networking. They're out there.

Best of luck to you if you end up in the hygiene career path. It's a great job. :thumbsup2

I had several friends that were hygienist and the only thing that stopped them working was power outages in the arms from so many years of holding up the arms and the fine work. Kind of like a carpal tunnel, but the arms, shoulders and brachial nerves were compresed in the thoracic outlet under the collor bone not the wrist. It is a double crush injury.

cumlative truma from the position held everyday.
Just a thought as it happens to so many that work with there arms or data entry work. Also, a whiplash injury that never seems to heal.
Di
:surfweb:

I am a 32 year old dental hygienist. I relocated from Indiana to Illinois in Aug 08. I have had a difficult time finding a job.In my new area due to the economy and the market being flooded.

I do love my job and I have worked in a dental office since I was 16. That being said I am happy with my career choice-BUT I never imagined I would have a hard time finding work. My advice to anyone considering a career in Hygiene is to research the job demand first. I have been lucky to find a job as a sub in an office but would like something more permanent.

FYI my mentor in Hygiene school was 40 when she graduated and is still working full-time 14 years later. Though, I have found that Hygienists tend to end their careers earlier due to trauma mentioned before and a high burn out rate.

Our dental hygienist is a grandma and in her mid 50's... she is not planning on going anywhere anytime soon! She enjoys her job, but she does take Fridays off now to be with her grandkids!

I had several friends that were hygienist and the only thing that stopped them working was power outages in the arms from so many years of holding up the arms and the fine work. Kind of like a carpal tunnel, but the arms, shoulders and brachial nerves were compresed in the thoracic outlet under the collor bone not the wrist. It is a double crush injury.

Just a thought as it happens to so many that work with there arms or data entry work. Also, a whiplash injury that never seems to heal.
Di

Oh Great!! I hadn't even thought of something like that.

The one in my dental office is in her late 50's. She has been my hygenist since I was a kid.

Dh is a DDS & he just had a long-time hygienist retire at 66. She loved what she did, our patients loved her, and she was very good. Dh has found that clinical skills are usually comparable no matter the age of the candidate, but communication skills and confidence are much better in more mature candidates. Our hygienists now are late 20's and mid-40's.

I think many hygienists either get tired of the routine or have repetitive stress injuries eventually. My cousin is a hygienist in the Houston area - she is about 56 and has been practicing since she graduated at about 26.

Hygienists are in high demand here.

Some areas with high demand- good to hear!

Repetitive stress injuries- NOT good to hear! I wonder if there's any way to avoid that? (other than not being a DH)

Di

You have hit the nail on the head. If one is going to go into this profession, be sure that you have access to the best ergonomic equipment, and then, there is no guarantee. Lots of repetitive motion. That said, I have one dental hygienist that I see who is in her 50's. For the most part however, many in that office are young.

They are working at my dentists office. I have a few young looking grandmothers there! (I want to say mid to upper 50's-early 60's)

I know they are grandmothers because they talk about their grandchildren.

Same at my dentist's office. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter