OT-Nova Scotia bound

MaryannF

<font color=purple>Very interesting...<br><font co
We just found out that we have a week off in July. Since we already have 2 WDW vacations booked for the fall we thought we would drive to Nova Scotia. DH wants to drive the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton. Any suggestions of what to see or where to stay would be appreciated.

my parents have a cottage that we frequent in the summer in Port Hood, which is on the other side of the Island. We did scootout to do somethings on THE trail. Kayaking on the north river was my favourite. There are some great beaches too It is an incredibly beautiful drive. Check out the website http://www.cabottrail.travel It has tons of information. Have fun

We've owned a piece of land in Cape Breton for many years now, so I get down at least once a year. The drive East is wonderful, if you have the time, I'd suggest stopping by the Flower Pot Rocks in New Brunswick on the way, marvelous to see. Also, if you have the time, I'd do the entire Cabot Trail drive, which will take you up Smokey Mtn, then all the way around to Cheticamp. You will literally want to stop every mile to take photos. Wonderful public beaches at both Inverness and Ingonish. Also, Baddeck is a quaint town to visit, home to Alexander Graham Bell. And if you like pizza, Tom's Pizza in Baddeck is worth the visit. Also, if you are going towards Baddeck, you will pass by the Big Red Barn, which is an excellent craft/souvenier shop, restaurant and mini golf shop. Worth a visit.

Sydney has lots to see, usually a giant cruise ship in port, nice wharf area to explore. I'll be heading down at the end of August, can't wait! If you visit the Nova Scotia website, you can sign up and they will mail you a tourist book, or you probably can download a PDF version. Enjoy the trip!

We've owned a piece of land in Cape Breton for many years now, so I get down at least once a year. The drive East is wonderful, if you have the time, I'd suggest stopping by the Flower Pot Rocks in New Brunswick on the way, marvelous to see. Also, if you have the time, I'd do the entire Cabot Trail drive, which will take you up Smokey Mtn, then all the way around to Cheticamp. You will literally want to stop every mile to take photos. Wonderful public beaches at both Inverness and Ingonish. Also, Baddeck is a quaint town to visit, home to Alexander Graham Bell. And if you like pizza, Tom's Pizza in Baddeck is worth the visit. Also, if you are going towards Baddeck, you will pass by the Big Red Barn, which is an excellent craft/souvenier shop, restaurant and mini golf shop. Worth a visit.

Sydney has lots to see, usually a giant cruise ship in port, nice wharf area to explore. I'll be heading down at the end of August, can't wait! If you visit the Nova Scotia website, you can sign up and they will mail you a tourist book, or you probably can download a PDF version. Enjoy the trip!

^^^This. :)

We honeymooned in Cape Breton and loved it. We did the entire Cabot Trail, we took a couple different days, doing half each day. We stayed in Baddeck which I highly recommend, as it is at the very start of the trail. We stayed at www.capebretonresorts.com. They have two properties in Baddeck - Inverness Resort, and Ceilidh Lodge. The Lodge is a bit less expensive, probably not as fancy, BUT... as a guest of the lodge you have full access to all activities at Inverness which is just across the street. You can quite literally walk across the street, though they do offer a shuttle. Inverness had a great little pub which you could often get live celtic music at. We loved it.

While there we did the trail of course, as I mentioned, splitting it up. We went whale watching on the western shore. We toured some beaches on the eastern shore. We did some scenic routes/trails/hiking,we too went all the way to the tip, which I recommend - it's such an isolated, remote, rugged and BEAUTIFUL location. Quite breathtaking, and really gives you an appreciation for the life these fishermen live. Even Baddeck itself is a great place to visit - we did the Alexander Graham Bell museum which is really nice, also, we also did the Big Red Barn, we went sailing on the Bras D'Or lakes which was a beautiful trip.

In fact if we don't end up doing our trip out west next year, I think we'll be doing a family trip to Cape Breton. It truly is a great place - very friendly, and beautiful.

Oh, and I definitely second the suggestion to stop and spend some time in the Fundy area, on your way. Hopewell Rocks should not be missed, it's really something to see. Just make sure you check the tide schedules so you can quite literally walk on the ocean floor :) If you really wanted to take the scenic route getting there/back, I'd suggest spending a day in St. Andrews, New Brunswick as well. It's a beautiful sea-side town. Kennedy Inn is a great place to stay on the main drag - it's old, it dates back to 1881, so don't expect the Hilton, but it's got charm, the beds are good, people are nice and the pub/restaurant is great and the price is good, as well. They also have live music on the weekends (and my mother is one of their contracted regulars!).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter