• nook color

• kindle

• other

• none, but i want one too

• not interested at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

shefrn1

Mouseketeer
i want to get an Ereader but trying to decide on what to get!

what kind if any do you have and tell me what you like and dislike about it

i was thinking the nook color at first because children's books would read better but i don't know if i want to pay the extra money for that when they don't have that many children's books available anyway...and i might keep this as the one thing for myself anyway.....so i think i'm leaning more towards the classic nook wifi.......

interested to see what everyone's opinions are!

thanks

I have a kindle and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it..It's light, easy to use and lots of books available on Amazon.Downloading and shopping for books is so easy.The only negative was that there were no actual page numbers, but that is changing with the new update that you can download.The battery life is long long long.With my wifi turned off I can go over 3 weeks without having to charge it.Amazon is also in talks to be able to interface with other Ebook sellers so eventually you will be able to purchase books from any ebook seller and borrow and lend from others and libraries

I got a Kindle for my birthday in December. I LOVE it! I did some research before I got one to see what I really wanted before asking for one. Basically...I just wanted it for reading. And for that it is outstanding. I find it easy on the eyes, easy to read in just about any lighting, it's lightweight and with the cover that I have I can still hold it like a paperback book. I hate hardcover books because they are too heavy for me to hold so even though that last statement may seem silly...it is very important for me. The nook is heavier.

My boyfriend tried to talk me into a Nook Color (he has a friend who is a manager at a Barnes and Noble). But I really didn't need or want the other features that a Nook Color has. I just want something to read on and the Kindle is the best option for that. Downloading books is superfast...I can read them instantly. And I don't have to pack multiple books in my bag for a vacation...they're all there in that one little book. There are some books I wish I had that kindle doesn't offer yet...but I have no doubt that they will eventually.

I have my ipod video for music and movies so I don't need that from my ereader. My phone has internet access to check email if I need that (though it is NOT a feature I need by any stretch...just something to keep me entertained while I'm bored).

And an iPad...what for? Seriously...not downing it for those that want all those extra features...but all I wanted was an ereader and the kindle is in my opinion the best one out there for strictly that purpose. It's great really because I can fit in a fairly small purse a library of books, an entire CD collection and many movies, and my phone. 3 small items that each work very well for the purpose they were intended instead of one that does several of those things all okay. Just my opinion.

But I LOVE my kindle!

I just got a nook color and I am really enjoying it. I think it's a better size than the Ipad, more manageable, but with some of the extra capabilities of the ipad that I wanted. I like that I can get online, it has Pandora internet radio preloaded on it so I can listen to music, and it's small enough to fit in my purse.

The main thing I didn't like about the kindle is you can't get books from any other source on that reader. On the nook I can download all kinds of books, including free books, and library books. I can also put pictures on it and I'm hoping with an update that is supposed to come out soon I'll be able to get netflix on it too.

I wanted a reader that could also do other stuff, so for me the nook color was perfect.

I love my Kindle, for many of the reasons stated. The screen is the best e-ink technology on the market and it really shows. Comparing other e-readers to it in the store, they look really washed out like bad newspaper to me, while my Kindle is super crisp. Also the battery life is fantastic. I turn 3G on when I'm surfing and turn it off otherwise, and I've charged it three times since Christmas, including its first charge. I also like the weight and the interface and the keyboard. I never thought I would make notes and highlights till all of a sudden I could, then I did. Try out the Nook's touchscreen if you're considering that, I tried to use it and I thought it was a laggy piece of garbage. Another reason I didn't get one.

I mainly want to correct what PP said about how Kindles only work with Amazon books. That is not true. I've put free books from other sources like http://www.manybooks.net on my Kindle via the USB cable, as well as personal documents like .pdfs. I check http://www.pixelofink.com/ to check what is free on Amazon.com itself. Between Manybooks, pdfs of stuff I already had, and free Kindle books, I have not paid a cent yet for my books.

The only thing you CAN'T do out of the box is use library ebooks. It is an ethical question that has been raised several times on this board as whether or not using a program to convert the file to a Kindle-comparable format and using that is acceptable. I have had no desire to read library books with all the free stuff I'm getting, so I have not yet decided what I personally do. But I think its important for you to know that this is possible.

I have a nook (not color) and I love it. I have had pretty good customer support and I like that I can go to my local barnes and noble if I need help. There's also free in-store browsing of ebooks and random coupons for snacks or drinks in the store. I also like having the ability to borrow ebooks from the library on it.

The e-ink screen is really easy on the eyes which is why I didn't want to go with a nook color or Ipad. I spend too much time staring at a computer screen as it is.

My understanding is that the battery life is less on a nook than a kindle. I haven't had any problems with it but I'm rarely away from an outlet. I can go 10 to 14 days without charging mine but I think a kindle has a much longer battery life.

If you travel internationally alot, I think the kindle may be a better option from what I've heard. Last I heard, you cannot buy barnes and noble books on the nook while you're outside of the U.S. Of course, you can read books you downloaded before you left but if you run out and want to buy new books, you might be out of luck.

I love my Nook color because I can check books out of the library which I couldn't do with a Kindle. I also love being able to read at night without a light and surf the Internet and check email in color.

DH started the Nook craze in our house. I was originally interested in a Kindle until his dad bought him a Nook Color (he wanted an Android tablet and the Nook Color is Android based). Once he got his, I decided to go with a Nook for several reasons:
1. I don't need the extras that he has. I just want to read. The e-ink is perfect and the Nook is nice and small.
2. LEND ME! Being a family of readers, the ability to loan certain BN books to each other is a definite win. Enough so that my daughter (16) used her Christmas money to buy herself a Nook. Now, when one of us finishes a book that's Lend Me compatible, we loan it to the other person. There are also websites dedicated to lending your books.
3. More formats available. I like the option of getting ebooks from the library or other readers.

I get questioned about my Nook everywhere I go. My first response to people when asked how I like it is, "I never really missed it before I bought it, but now I can't live without it". I take it everywhere, tucked into my purse. If I have to wait a few minutes anywhere, I open it up and start reading. I've read more since Christmas than I have in probably the last 6 months.

Here are the reasons I chose the Nook over the Kindle.

1. Kindle doesn't read the universal ePub format being used by all non-Amazon sellers (Borders, Barnes and Noble, Books a Million, etc.) and libraries. If you buy a Kindle, be prepared to buy all your books from Amazon. If you still want an Amazon book, you can buy it, remove the encryption, reformat it, and upload it to the Nook. I do this all the time for free books or if the Amazon price is better (although I find the price on eBooks to be the same across sellers 95% of the time).

2. The Nook has expandable memory. I can add an sd card and save even more books on the device.

3. Barnes and Noble offers in person assistance with the Nook and even has classes in store for free to help you use it.

Number one was the deal breaker for me. I don't want to be locked into only being able to buy from one place and never use the growing number of online libraries available. Also, if I buy a book from Barnes and Noble and want to let a friend read it, I can just email over the ePub file because there is no encryption.

I was really torn between the Kindle and the Nook. I have no interest in the Nook Color - I plan to get an iPad at some point and so I'd have no need for it, plus I wanted e-ink for my primary e-reader. I liked the fact that the Nook can use library books but honestly I rarely check books out so it wasn't a huge factor for me. I finally went to several stores and played with both the Nook and the Kindle. It was a no brainer after that. I greatly preferred the Kindle. I actually disliked the Nook quite a bit, and liked everything about the Kindle better. I thought the screen looked significantly better and I liked the way it felt in my hands. I thought I would prefer the Nook's touch screen controls but I really liked the buttons on the Kindle better.

I was a little bit worried that I wouldn't get lost in an e-reader the way I do with an actual book, but there have been several times since I got my Kindle that I've been in the middle of reading and actually reached up to try to turn the page like it was a real book. I charge it every 2 or 3 weeks and so far I have no complaints.

The Amazon Kindle store is great. I use ereaderiq.com to track price drops in the books I want, and to keep up with the latest free books. I have tons of books on my Kindle and so far I've only purchased 4 and have only used the Amazon store. There are several other sites where you can (legally) get books for the Kindle such as Baen, Smashwords, Project Gutenburg, etc.. It's true that you can't purchase books through Barnes and Noble, Books a Million or Borders for the Kindle, but so far I've had no reason to. The Amazon prices have been just as good if not better. Since the publishers are usually the ones who set the prices, that makes sense. It's unfortunate that there can't be more competition when it comes to pricing, but the agency model that Amazon, Barnes and Noble and the rest are bound by means that there is almost never a significant price difference between the different stores.

The Kindle has the same lending feature as the Nook, though it's sort of hit or miss as to whether books have that feature enabled. Again, that's up to the publisher so the selection of lendable books will be the same for the two e-readers.

Kindle all the way! I love mine! I take it to work and read during lunch. I take it everywhere with me. I also got the cover with the built in light and it's just awesome!

My husband jokes that if it were between him and the kindle I'd choose the kindle! :laughing:

I have a Sony and love it! One of the biggest reasons I bought it is that it is library compatible and I can buy my books from a variety of places, I'm not locked into Amazon.

The e-ink is great. I can read in full sunlight without any problems and I love the fact that I can carry a huge library around with me in my handbag.

DH started the Nook craze in our house. I was originally interested in a Kindle until his dad bought him a Nook Color (he wanted an Android tablet and the Nook Color is Android based). Once he got his, I decided to go with a Nook for several reasons:
1. I don't need the extras that he has. I just want to read. The e-ink is perfect and the Nook is nice and small.
2. LEND ME! Being a family of readers, the ability to loan certain BN books to each other is a definite win. Enough so that my daughter (16) used her Christmas money to buy herself a Nook. Now, when one of us finishes a book that's Lend Me compatible, we loan it to the other person. There are also websites dedicated to lending your books.
3. More formats available. I like the option of getting ebooks from the library or other readers.

I get questioned about my Nook everywhere I go. My first response to people when asked how I like it is, "I never really missed it before I bought it, but now I can't live without it". I take it everywhere, tucked into my purse. If I have to wait a few minutes anywhere, I open it up and start reading. I've read more since Christmas than I have in probably the last 6 months.

has he rooted his nook color? I see you can add apps like angry birds on it and that is tempting lol

OP I got my nook color this week ad love it so far. I havent played around with it enough yet to have any cons.

Actually my only can is I havent found a case I love yet for it.

Well, I have the iPad. I've only had it for about 2 weeks now, and I am glad I finally decided to get it.

I do not have an iPod or any other MP3 player, nor do I have a phone with a data or texting plan. So for me, this was the best choice.

I have had absolutely no problems reading books on it. I'm able to change the background color and the color of the font.

ETA--I have Kindle, Nook and iBooks apps on my iPad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter