• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT - Need help with diapers and wipes

ReneeQ

DIS Veteran
I'm wondering if someone can help me with this. I do not have any children, so am not familiar with buying diapers and wipes. For the next few months I (and some other friends) am going to be buying diapers and wipes for a family in need that has a new baby. I am a coupon fanatic, have done grocery game in the past and currently use coupon mom. I've got my grocery bill about cut in half.

I've been gathering coupons for the particular diapers and wipes this family uses, and I have lots. My problem is, I can only find mega jumbo packs of these diapers, so my $1 coupon isn't that big of a deal. Same with the wipes. I have $1 coupons, good on packages of 70 wipes or more. But all I can find are packages of 300 or more. If I can find smaller size packages and use a coupon on each, I will, of course, have greater savings.

I know there are lots of us couponers on this board, and wonder what those of you with little ones do to maximize your savings. Has anyone found that one store over another has the smaller packs? Or do the smaller packs even exist?

Thanks for any help!

What brand of diapers are you looking for? I mostly buy my DD Pampers diapers with coupons. I usually take aadvantage when Target has the 29 diaper package on sale for $8.50 and with a coupon of $1.00 off I usually get a good saving.

We would get ALL of our diapers at Target. Pampers mostly, they are the ones that seemed most comfy for DD. I comparison shopped between Target, Wal-Mart, etc. and Target ALWAYS was cheaper, sometimes by $3-4 a pack!

You can sign up on Pampers website and you will get pretty good coupons.

The Target brand diapers aren't bad for the younger baby, but the Pampers just seemed more comfortable once DD was starting to crawl around then walk. The Target diapers are VERY cheap too, and sometimes those will go on sale for a few bucks off. The Target wipes are good too.

Can ya tell i'm a TARGET fan? :)

ReneeQ said:
I know there are lots of us couponers on this board, and wonder what those of you with little ones do to maximize your savings. Has anyone found that one store over another has the smaller packs? Or do the smaller packs even exist?

Thanks for any help!

OK, I'm not an expert, but I do have 2 in diapers right now. Two words: Store Brand. We prefer Target store brand, but Wal-Mart's Parent's Choice are just as good. Here's the price breakdown: Huggies and Pampers = $0.19/diaper in jumbo packs. Luvs = $0.16/diaper doesn't matter the size pack. Your best Huiggies or Pampers coupon is only going to get you even with the Luvs price. Store brand = $0.11/diaper to $0.13/diaper doesn't matter which size pack you buy. The price for Huggies and Pampers is the same at Sam's Club, buying in bulk makes no difference to the price. A coupon will help at a wholesale warehouse club, but it still isn't going to be as low as store brand.

Here's my equation to calculate price per diaper which also works for figuring the price for the best formula bargain.

Price of pack of diapers (minus) coupon if you have one (divided by) # of diapers in pack or case = price per diaper

Wipes:
Price of box of wipes (minus) coupon if you have one (divided by) # of wipes in case = price per wipe

For formula:
Price of can of formula (minus) coupon if you have one (divided by) # of ounces in can = price per ounce

You'll be surprised at the actual cost of things once you breakdown the cost in this way. It gives you a better idea of the actual cost and savings. I hope I helped. :goodvibes

I need Pampers sensitive wipes and Pampers swaddlers diapers. There are some allergy issues, so I don't think I can change brands. This was a mega-preemie baby, less than 2 pounds at birth. Thanks for the help!

babiesX2 said:
OK, I'm not an expert, but I do have 2 in diapers right now. Two words: Store Brand. We prefer Target store brand, but Wal-Mart's Parent's Choice are just as good. Here's the price breakdown: Huggies and Pampers = $0.19/diaper in jumbo packs. Luvs = $0.16/diaper doesn't matter the size pack. Your best Huiggies or Pampers coupon is only going to get you even with the Luvs price. Store brand = $0.11/diaper to $0.13/diaper doesn't matter which size pack you buy. The price for Huggies and Pampers is the same at Sam's Club, buying in bulk makes no difference to the price. A coupon will help at a wholesale warehouse club, but it still isn't going to be as low as store brand.

Here's my equation to calculate price per diaper which also works for figuring the price for the best formula bargain.

Price of pack of diapers (minus) coupon if you have one (divided by) # of diapers in pack or case = price per diaper

Wipes:
Price of box of wipes (minus) coupon if you have one (divided by) # of wipes in case = price per wipe

For formula:
Price of can of formula (minus) coupon if you have one (divided by) # of ounces in can = price per ounce

You'll be surprised at the actual cost of things once you breakdown the cost in this way. It gives you a better idea of the actual cost and savings. I hope I helped. :goodvibes

I also have 2 in diapers and agree with store brands. The large cases of Toys R Us Brand diapers are on sale now for 2/$30

For wipes, I buy them by the case at Coscto and get the Kirkland wipes. I love them. They are in individual bags that get smaller as you use them. Much better than they hard bulky plastic box.

ReneeQ said:
I need Pampers sensitive wipes and Pampers swaddlers diapers. There are some allergy issues, so I don't think I can change brands. This was a mega-preemie baby, less than 2 pounds at birth. Thanks for the help!

My twins were 2 1/2 months preemie. One was 2# on the button and the other was 3# 2 oz. The NICU used Pampers Swaddlers, but once home for a few months they were switched to store brand. Neither one went into anaphylactic shock (or got a rash on their bum). Even the most "sensitive" of wipes still have irritating chemicals on them. If this baby has life threatening allergies, all wipes should be avoided, and his/her bottom should be cleaned with plain water and a soft bath cloth. Cloth diapers would probably be best for this baby with it's sensitivities and all. Good luck to you. I guess Dh and I had to learn to be resourceful since no one was buying our diapers for us.

Not sure about Pampers Sensitive wipes but Pampers Swaddlers should come in a Jumbo size package and $1 coupons usually apply to that size. Where have you looked? Target, Walmart, grocery stores, Walgreens and CVS should all carry the Jumbo size. Not sure about Toys R Us/Babies R Us. Jumbo is usually the smallest package available. But be sure the price w/out the coupon is a good price. Look for sales and a good price could vary depending on your area. Around here, $8 or less for a jumbo pack is considered pretty good and then you apply the coupon. Warehouse clubs like Costco and Sam's do not carry the smaller packages.

Usually there is a greater savings on per-diaper cost in the larger sizes. It seems silly to me to spend $9.49 on the small pack of diapers (30-40 depending on diaper size) when I can buy the box of almost 200 diapers for $26.00.

With my 1st DD, I used store brand all the time. My 2nd DD is much more active and round, with smaller hips, and the store brand do not have enough stretch to stay on her. They end up down around her thighs, which doesn't do either of us any favors. So I find that I will happily fork over the extra few bucks for the Huggies Supreme or Pampers Cruisers.

If you go to each brand's website and join their mailing list, they will sometimes send you coupons for as much as $3.50 off. Usually it is closer to $1.00 though.

Also, with allergy issues I can see why the sensitive wipes would be needed, although other brands also have sensitive or allergen-free varieties. I personally like Huggies wipes best because they are much thicker than Pampers, and the more wipe between my hands and baby's butt, the better! But I can't see why the diaper brand would matter as far as allergies are concerned.

Hope you find the answers you were looking for, and bless you for helping this family! I'm sure they will be grateful for any help they can get. As a formy needy mom (who is now not only self-sufficient but lucky enough to be able to take my family to WDW three times in a 12-month span) I can definitely say there are not enough people like you in the world! Keep up the good work.

Would this family consider homemade wipes? It's fairly easy but does have some start-up costs. Here's what ya need:

good quality paper towels (cheap ones WILL NOT work; I use Bounty)
a good electric bread knife
a tall rubbermaid/tupperware container with lid (size of half a roll of Bounty)
water, baby shampoo, baby oil (optional)

To assemble, cut each paper towel roll in half using the bread knife. Place it in the tupperware container. Take a 2-cup measuring cup and squeeze in a few drops of baby shampoo and oil (optional). Fill up to the 1-3/4 cup line with hot water. Stir. Pour over paper toweling. Remove cardboard center. Put the lid on and voila: you're good to go.....and relatively chemical free too. :)

FYI: this method also works for making other wipes. My favorite is Lysol wipes. I keep a container on my bathroom counter at all times. Lots of little boys who don't quite have their aim down yet. :rotfl:

Ditto on the store bought brands. I would ask the mom in need.

This is a day late but to show the deals are out there... Rite Aid just (over today) had a great deal on the small 80 packs of wipes for $1.99, using the $1 off coupon made them cheap. PLUS Rite Aid had a PP&G promo that buy 3 things listed (wipes included) and get a 24 pack of water.

Maybe other stores will follow? Weis just did something similar with buying 4-12 pack of sodas and getting a free 24 pack of water.

If you have a Kroger in your area they currently have the jumbo packs of Pampers on sale for $7.99.

Well, even though the $1 saves "more" when used on a smaller pack, you still get a better deal with the bigger ones. For example, using size 3 Huggies:
40 - 11.99 - 0.29975
40 - 10.99 - 0.27475
112 - 29.99 - 0.267768
112 - 28.99 - 0.258839

Obviously the big pack with the coupon is the best option! I usually get a $3 coupon (sometimes $3.50) from Costco for Huggies, which is what we use for overnights.

Now, to really save money......we use cloth. I spent $225 on his diapers when he was 6 months old and he hasn't changed sizes since then. In fact, I think we'll be potty training out of these. Since we're going on ten months in these, it's averaging $22 a month and going down every month he wears them - lus they're studier enough for a future sibling. Though, for a newborn, it's more expensive - I started in size medium so I have almost nothing in the small size, and you need more because little babies poop more.

My little ones were also allergic to most brands except for Pampers. Watch the Sunday ads. Last week Walgreens had them on sale for $8.99 plus an instore coupon for $1.00 off. You could then use a manufacturer's coupon. I ended up paying $5.99 a package.

Target also had bulk boxes last week, depending on what type you were looking for. When we used a coupon, it made it as cheap as what I paid at Walgreens.

Also, most Walmarts will price match.

I will second the homemade wipes. I have 2 DD's with delicate tush's & they were about they only thing I could use with them. Also, Walgreen's diapers are great (and I'm a diaper snob, so that's saying alot ;) ). They run buy one get one free sales often. I haven't tried CVS diapers, but they run BOGOF sales also.

Sbella

I would check Walgreens. We use Pampers and I get them whenever they are on sale at any particular store.

Walgreens carries the smaller packs-they were just on sale for $8.99 and then Walgreens had a $1.00 coupon. I also had a $1.00 coupon so they were $6.99. My DD takes a bigger size so I can't always find the right size pack.

Target usually has the big huge boxes on sale which are uaually a good deal especially if you use the coupon on top of that.

Our Target is also running a gift card promotion. You buy a certain amount of Pampers and you get a $5 gift card at check out.

:thumbsup2

I've been diapering children for almost 10 years. The only way to save on Pampers brand diapers and wipes is to stock up when they go on sale, and use the $1.50 off coupons that come out from time to time.

We use Luvs now, and Pampers wipes, and spend about $50-60 a month on diapers.

We are way past the diaper stage, but I used luvs or the store brand. For the poster that wrote about cvs brand, they were my favorite. I didn't care for Stop and Shop brand at the time, we are talking years ago. but cvs was my favorite. Wipes, were any ones that were on sale or I had coupons, or store brand. When I was home I used cloth diapers. Never had a rash on either child.

We love the store brand wipes from Costco. They are around $10-$15 for a huge box that lasts us a couple of months at least (1 in diapers). They are in softsided packages with rigid flip tops connected to the soft plastic packages - i.e. less waste of money on packaging, less to throw out or recycle. It's like buying refills but each refill-type package has the little pop top on it. This is my new favorite gift to take to baby showers. We keep a package in each car, one in my desk at work, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter