OT: Need HELP recovering a WORD document - asap!!

mafibisha

DIS Veteran
I sure hope someone can help me!

I was working on a WORD document, continually saving as I worked (!!!) and was pasting something else, and bam, it got all cloudy-snowing looking and then closed.

And now it won't open. HELP!

I get this box titled:

Click-to-run Application Manager

Microsoft 2010 can't be opened. Try again or repair the product in control panel.

HUH?? How do I do that?

If I reboot, think it'll still be there? Or is it lost forever? :scared1:

Please help! You all know everything so I hope someone can help!!

TIA!!

that recently happened to me too. On 2 seperate laptops. I had to reinstall microsoft office and it's been working fine since. I think it happened after one of those computer updates. There was about 3 weeks between it happening to my 2nd laptop.
As long as you've been saving your work, you should be ok once you reinstall office

good luck

that recently happened to me too. On 2 seperate laptops. I had to reinstall microsoft office and it's been working fine since. I think it happened after one of those computer updates. There was about 3 weeks between it happening to my 2nd laptop.
As long as you've been saving your work, you should be ok once you reinstall office

good luck

Thanks, I hope I don't have to re-install...

And I just realized I can't open ANY of my word documents??? :scared1:
:confused3

HELP!!

yup, and excel sheets too! it only took a few minutes to reinstall and all the documents will open

yup, and excel sheets too! it only took a few minutes to reinstall and all the documents will open

How do you reinstall? It's still listed in my programs / control panel, but don't I need the original code, or whatever it was called?

I had it listed there too, but couldn't figure out how to fix it, so I just reinserted the microsoft office disc to reinstall it. It's worked fine since (maybe 3-4 weeks since I did it on the 2nd computer).

I had it listed there too, but couldn't figure out how to fix it, so I just reinserted the microsoft office disc to reinstall it. It's worked fine since (maybe 3-4 weeks since I did it on the 2nd computer).

We don't have a disc. We paid and downloaded on line. Ahhhhh :worried::sick:

Oh wait. I AM able to open SOME documents!! WTH?????

We don't have a disc. We paid and downloaded on line. Ahhhhh :worried::sick:

Oh wait. I AM able to open SOME documents!! WTH?????

Did you get it working?

If you paid & downloaded online, you should still be able to download it again. Go the website, log in with your ID and give it a try.

A few months ago I reformatted my hard drive (on purpose) and had to re-download Photoshop Elements 9, which I paid for online. I had no issues logging in & re-downloading it.

OP here.

A college aged niece and nephew were here Friday and got it working again, without re-downloading the program. Everything was saved thank goodness, and they didn't really know why it happened. My niece did suggest I might have too much on my hard drive (and I think I do) but she really don't think thats why. ??

So anyway, I was working on the same word document last night, and you guessed it, same thing happened! ARGGGGGH I really don't want to wait until next weekend when they're both home again and for the summer, but might have to.

I just don't get it!! :confused3

Should you have a problem with the word processor, look in the folder where the documents are kept. (You may need to reset the Windows Explorer or whatever document manager you are using to show all files including system files and show complete file names including extensions.)

See if there are files with funny characters in their names and dated at the time the word processor died. Rename them to have regular names. These files may contain working copies of documents at the time the word processor died. But write down the original names including the funny charcters.

Don't try to open any existing documents until you know the word processor is fixed. Make some brand new dummy documents on the spot to test the word processor with first.

Someone with expertise will be needed to correlate the files with funny characters with the documents they pertained to, provided that the original documents had not been worked on since the crash. Without that expertise you may be able to extract useful information (but not the bold and italic and indents and colored text) from those files using the Notepad program.

Should you have a problem with the word processor, look in the folder where the documents are kept. (You may need to reset the Windows Explorer or whatever document manager you are using to show all files including system files and show complete file names including extensions.)

See if there are files with funny characters in their names and dated at the time the word processor died. Rename them to have regular names. These files may contain working copies of documents at the time the word processor died. But write down the original names including the funny charcters.

Don't try to open any existing documents until you know the word processor is fixed. Make some brand new dummy documents on the spot to test the word processor with first.

Someone with expertise will be needed to correlate the files with funny characters with the documents they pertained to, provided that the original documents had not been worked on since the crash. Without that expertise you may be able to extract useful information (but not the bold and italic and indents and colored text) from those files using the Notepad program.

Thank you SO much, I really appreciate the help!!

Open the Control Panel.

Select "Programs and Features".

Select "Microsoft Office" from the list of your installed programs. You should have a place to select "Repair". (In Windows 7, this for me is at the top of the list, right next to the Uninstall and Change options. Hopefully you will have the option, it's not there for all programs, but if you have it, this is where it will be.)

Microsoft Office seems to need repair a lot more often these days...

While you are at it, make sure you have all updates applied. We have been seeing a lot of funny problems with Office 2007 if Service Pack 3 hasn't been installed. If you have Office 2010, make sure you have Service Pack 1.

Open the Control Panel.

Select "Programs and Features".

Select "Microsoft Office" from the list of your installed programs. You should have a place to select "Repair". (In Windows 7, this for me is at the top of the list, right next to the Uninstall and Change options. Hopefully you will have the option, it's not there for all programs, but if you have it, this is where it will be.)

Microsoft Office seems to need repair a lot more often these days...

While you are at it, make sure you have all updates applied. We have been seeing a lot of funny problems with Office 2007 if Service Pack 3 hasn't been installed. If you have Office 2010, make sure you have Service Pack 1.

YESSSSS, it worked!

THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!

We were with all the kids this weekend, nieces and nephews, and I brought this out. They agreed, did it and VOILA, I have word back again!

Thanks again!! :thumbsup2

I love the DIS!!

:worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter