OT: Need help - bad mattress purchase

Had to respond- we have a Vera Wang too and we HATE it!! I wish I could've warned you all as ours is almost 4yrs old and we've hated it for awhile.

We are not in a position to replace it right now but our backs and sleep habits are hating us for it!

To the OP: if they said they would replace it and it is the only option they are giving you, I'd do that. At least that will buy you a year to save money for something better!

Okay, I had to google Vera Wang mattress to see what this thing is... I was expecting it to be covered in satin and lace. :laughing:

Regarding what does Costco do with returned mattress?

I am not sure but I thought I read somewhere that all costco suppliers must aggree to accept returns. If this is true then the mattress went back to the mfg.

I do recall the costco customer service person asking if there were any stains. Of course there wasn't. They also wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with the mattress ( I am guessing that this would have activitated a warranty issue instead of a simple exchange).

Chris

HUH? They have a good return policy so they MUST be reselling them as new? That is not a logical conclusion.

Dawn

I wonder what Costco does with all those returned used mattresses they get? I would bet you anything they are "cleaned", repackaged and resold.

Blech. I can't even go there in my mind...I'm just glad we don't have a costco around here. :sick:

The fact that they're so concerned about stains does suggest they resell them. Some states don't allow the resale of used mattresses (at least not as "new"), but I suppose not all states have that law.

That really stinks. Have you been turning the mattress? They no longer need to be flipped but do need to be turned every 2 months for the first year. Maybe you can turn it and your back can handle the dip till you can replace it so DH can stop spending new mattress money on a chiropractor.

I was told by the owner of a small furnature company that Serta's are the worst mattress sold. He was done selling them because of all the complaints and returns for that brand.

Just want to chime in here and say my husband and I were waking up stiff and sore every morning on a stearns and foster pillow top mattress. We bit the bullet and bought a temper pedic and absolutely love it. I swear if we wanted to we could jump out of bed each morning. We have no aches or pains. It took a good month to decide if we liked it but now after 3 years we would never buy anything but.

I hope you are able to return the mattress you have and maybe give a temper pedic a try. :thumbsup2

How the heck do you turn and get up from your temper pedic? I tried one out in the store and had the hardest time moving in it because it sucked me into it. I ended up with a latex mattress that we love.

Also, Pillow tops have the tendency to end up with dips in the pillow top part and they expect the dip for the warranty to be in the mattress not the pillow.

You may want to try summersaulting it or flipping it. If that doesn't seem to help perhaps you could put a thin sheet of plywood between the box springs and matteress for extra support.

How the heck do you turn and get up from your temper pedic? I tried one out in the store and had the hardest time moving in it because it sucked me into it. I ended up with a latex mattress that we love.

That is why it took us about a month to decide if we were going to keep it or not. It took that long to get used to it. Now we just roll over and "jump" out. We had some friends swear by it and there was a three month trial period so we figured we would try it. So glad we did.

I'm also another person who purchased a queen sealy from costco and returned it!

I bought a queen sealy mattress for a vacation home in VT. We slept on it , only weekends and some sporadic week nights and we're normal size. We noticed we'd both end up in the middle in the morning and felt an incline towards the sides maybe after 6 or 7 uses!

I called costco and there were no questions asked. They sent a replacement mattress, I asked for the same one b/c it is comfy, and they told me that if we had the same issue with this one then they would replace it again but a different one if we wanted. no issues this time, so far...

I will add that once we had the problem I googled the make & model & it seemed as if a lot of the mattresses that were manufactured around the time mine was were defective this way. The new one I got was manufactured much later than the 1st so hopefully the problems won't come up.

Costco is wonderful in their returns on anything!! When I make large ticket purchases on products and costco sells it I always buy there just incase there is a problem. I bought a steam mop last year and it broke 9 months later ( handle ) I was able to return it to costco and they issued me a newer one with a much sturdier handle. They are excellent with their returns.

Can't help with the return/exchange but can chime in about Tempur Pedic.

We have a Tempur Pedic now- Cloud Supreme I think? The first time we tried one in a store I too thought I was being sucked in and didn't like it. Several years later (this year), DH was having terrible sciatica and was insistent on looking at Tempur Pedics. I also was stiff and sore in mornings. We tried them out- the Clouds are soo soft in the store- and bought one. Now for the first month or probably two, it was not very soft at all. We had the kids jump and stomp on it (store's suggestion) and eventually it has softened. I was sore for that break in time but now I am not at all. DH has had no more problems either. Now I can't stand to use their pillows that we got with purchase, it feels like it is sealing off my ear and things sound funny.

It is supposed to last 20 years and I hope so because getting that base up our stairs was a no go! We had to go in through the upstairs window with the tractor & loader! Of course if the mattress needs replaced we can surely just leave the base where it is.

We had a pillowtop Sealy for about 5 years and kept suffering through it. My back hurt so much that I had to spend the first 15 minutes of every day stretching it out. We finally broke down when I was pregnant with our youngest and spent about $2K on a Stearns and Foster at Dillard's. I swear, it was the best money I ever spent. We went from a pillowtop to a firm mattress (which I thought I would never do) and my sleep is so much better and all back pain is gone!

When you sit or lay on the bed in the store, look at the sides of the mattress. If they give AT ALL, don't buy the mattress.

Good luck, OP!

My experience was different. I went into a local furniture/appliance store. I told them I have problems with my hip. They recommended a mattress. I tried it. I had it delivered.

When it arrived, I expected it to be firmer than the one in the showroom (since countless people had been getting on and off the one in the showroom). But it was hard as a rock. I couldn't sleep on it -- it killed my hip.

I went back to the store the day after it was delivered. I told them I wanted to exchange it.

They said I had to keep it for 30 days before they would exchange it.

I assume that if they make people wait long enough, people don't bother to exchange it.

Well, I told them that I literally could not sleep on it. And that I was having surgery in 2 weeks and I needed to have a mattress in the house that I could sleep on when I got home from the hospital.

They were awful about it. I was practically in tears at the store. They finally agreed to let me exchange it.

My various family members and I have purchased a lot of furniture and appliances from that store over the years. It's a locally owned store, not a chain. But "customer service" apparently is not in their vocabulary, so I'm not setting foot in that store again.

Moral of the story -- if you are buying a new mattress, ask what they exchange policy is, in case you realize right away that the mattress won't work.

Just want to chime in here and say my husband and I were waking up stiff and sore every morning on a stearns and foster pillow top mattress. We bit the bullet and bought a temper pedic and absolutely love it. I swear if we wanted to we could jump out of bed each morning. We have no aches or pains. It took a good month to decide if we liked it but now after 3 years we would never buy anything but.

I hope you are able to return the mattress you have and maybe give a temper pedic a try. :thumbsup2
:thumbsup2
We love our TempurPedic too! We had the Sleep Number before and I hated that one.

You guys are making me wish we had a CostCo!

In most states it is illegal to sell used mattresses.

However there is a pressurized steam sanitation process that can be used to 'certify' a mattress as 'hygenic' enabling it to be resold as a used product. You will actually find a bright yellow tag on those products identifying them as used sanitized/hygenic products.

The previous poster that acted all grossed out by the thought of a used mattress must NEVER stay in hotels?!?!?!?! :lmao:

We will NEVER buy a pillow top mattress again - you can't flip them so they wear evenly - you can only rotate them, consistently leaving the 'dip' in the middle.

I get on to DW all the time for sleeping in the middle of the bed when I am not home, it has made a horrible dip in our extremely expensive pillow top New Englander set that we bought 4 years ago very uncomfortable.

But we will never buy another pillow top mattress!

You don't have to be near a costco to order from them online, I believe. You might have to buy a membership you won't use, but it's still usually an excellent deal.

If you have health insurance I have your husband go to a real doctor to check out his back before you try to deal with the mattress company. What people attribute to back pain sometimes turns out to be kidney issues.

I don't know what to do. About a year ago i had absolutely had it with our old mattress. Every morning my back and hips ached from sleeping on it. I went and got a new Vera Wang Serta one that I thought I loved. I spent a nice amount of change on it too.

A few months ago DH started complainig about back issues. When he lies down there is a huge dip. I purchased a memory foam topper but it didn't seem to really help.

Now, DH is in agony. He has been going to a chiropracter for a couple weeks. It gets so bad he can't walk. He swears it is the mattress.

I don't know what to do. I feel awful knowing how much i spent on it and how much a new set will cost but at the same time I can't let him be miserable. Truth is i don't really love it either. I called the company and they said they would replace it IF there is a 1 inch dip with no sheets or anything on it. I don't want the same mattress anyway.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter