• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT-need dessert ideas

la79al

DIS Veteran
On Sunday we are going to watch The Princess and the Frog with my sister. She is making dinner so I figured I would take dessert. I need ideas of something neat, yet kid friendly and not boring. TIA

Perhaps a trifle? You'll have to make this the day before. You'll need
  • Jelly
  • Jam roll
  • Whipped cream
  • Custard
  • Fruit

1. Get 2 packets of jelly crystals and follow the recipe (with a little less water) to dissolve. Leave to set overnight.
2. The next day, Make the custard and leave to cool slightly. Get some jam rolls, and cut it into 1 - 2 cm slices. Line the bottom and sides of a glass bowl with the jam roll. Try to pack them in fairly tightly; but there should be some gaps. I normally splash some alcohol on it - but you may want to give it a miss with kids.
3. Pour the custard over the rolls, making sure to go up the sides. You want the custard to seep between the gaps of the rolls.
4. Put fruit on top of the custard. I like using cherries (pitted) and apricots and strawberries.
5. Cover with whipped cream. You can use a palette knife to smooth out the top. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
6. With kids, I also like to decorate the top of the whipped cream. I break up their favourite chocolate bars/candy and sprinkle on top; or get extra fruit and place this round the side; or have another lot of jelly made and use a fork to break it up and spread it over the whipped cream.

An alternative dessert, is a Chocolate Self saucing pudding. But you'll have to make this at your sister's. If she's happy to make this there, this may be the better option as you can start the movie and have a pause/break to serve and then watch whilst eating.

Pudding
60g butter
1.5 cups self raising flour
1/2 cup castor sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla essence

Sauce
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 cups boiling water

Get a large overproof/microwavalbe bowl (capable of holding 2 - 3 litres). Melt butter in the bowl (in a microwave). Stir in the flour, sugar, cocoa, milk and vanilla essence for the pudding. Beat until smooth.
For the sauce, combine the extra sugar and cocoa powder together. Sprinkle over the pudding and pour the boiling water over the mixture.
Cook for 30 minutes in a moderate oven; or 12-13 minutes on medium in a microwave.

I cook in the oven (160 - 180C) because I end up with a nice crust on top. And yes, the sauce will sink to the bottom of the dish/bowl and the pudding will be on top.

Serve warm with ice cream or extra cream.

How bout magic cookie bars??? Or orange brownies (no chocolate), or what about doozies (cookies sandwiched together with icing and maybe add green sprinkles), Or maybe bring stuff for a sundae bar, Or decorate your own cupcake bar, or how bout strawberry shortcakes, or chocolate dipped strawberries, or cream puffs, or chocolate fondue with fruits, pretzels, and marshmallows, or maybe some dirt pudding with oreo dirt and gummy worms (or frogs).....I'll think of some more and get back to you....

I second the beignet idea. We made them recently and it wasn't hard at all and I am sure the kids would get a kick out of eating something they talk about in the movie.

You could do a bananas foster type dessert (with or without the flambe) over ice cream. Very famous New Orleans dessert.

Just sautee sliced bananas in a few tablespoons of butter. Once they're soft and slightly carmelized, sprinkle with a couple tablespoons of brown sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Continue cooking until the sugar is melted (add a little water or juice if you need to). Serve bananas and sauce over vanilla ice cream.

Another option would be bread pudding with caramel sauce.

But I kind of love the beignet idea...

If you don't want to spend all that time making beignets, you could make "mock beignets". All you will need is cheap store brand homestyle biscuits, powdered sugar, vegetable oil, and brown paper bag. Heat vegetable oil, preferably in cast iron pot. You will know it is hot when you sprinkle a pinch of flour in the oil and it appears to "fry". Put powdered sugar in brown paper bag. Put a couple biscuits in oil at a time and once they are golden brown put them in the paper bag. Shake it up to cover "beignets" with the powdered sugar and then place them on a plate, serving tray, etc. It is important to use brown paper bag and not plastic container or plastic bag because the powdered sugar will not stick well to the "beignets" if you use plastic. We make donuts this way at our house. We use the top of a 2 liter coke to press out the donut holes.

Perhaps a trifle? You'll have to make this the day before. You'll need
  • Jelly
  • Jam roll
  • Whipped cream
  • Custard
  • Fruit

1. Get 2 packets of jelly crystals and follow the recipe (with a little less water) to dissolve. Leave to set overnight.
2. The next day, Make the custard and leave to cool slightly. Get some jam rolls, and cut it into 1 - 2 cm slices. Line the bottom and sides of a glass bowl with the jam roll. Try to pack them in fairly tightly; but there should be some gaps. I normally splash some alcohol on it - but you may want to give it a miss with kids.
3. Pour the custard over the rolls, making sure to go up the sides. You want the custard to seep between the gaps of the rolls.
4. Put fruit on top of the custard. I like using cherries (pitted) and apricots and strawberries.
5. Cover with whipped cream. You can use a palette knife to smooth out the top. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
6. With kids, I also like to decorate the top of the whipped cream. I break up their favourite chocolate bars/candy and sprinkle on top; or get extra fruit and place this round the side; or have another lot of jelly made and use a fork to break it up and spread it over the whipped cream.

You didn't do anything with the jelly you made the day before. Or, rather, you never mentioned what you did with it.

You didn't do anything with the jelly you made the day before. Or, rather, you never mentioned what you did with it.

OOPS! Sorry. Depending on my mood, I either:
1. Put the jelly on top of the custard and then add the fruit
2. Put the jelly on top of the whip cream to decorate the top (red and green jelly works really well when you cut it up into squares/cubes and make a checkerboard pattern); or
3. Both of the above.

A box of those frozen cream puffs you find in the frozen food section!!! Could eat the whole box and kids love them! Just bring some chocolate sauce and drizzle over them when you plate them. Looks impressive too!

Family Fun also has an older cupcake idea here that looks like frogs peeking out of the water. When I made them for DS's birthday a couple years ago, I modified it a bit using green frosting and drawing a mouth on the cupcake to look like a froggy head. They were so cute for a March b-day!

PHXscuba

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter