OT - Nashville TN

chaoscent

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
I am going to the Council for Exceptional Children Conference that will be held at the Gaylord Opry Center Convention Center. We will be checking into the Gaylord Opry Center on 4/20. However, we are coming into Nashville on 4/17 (Saturday). This gives DH & I a few days to wander and see something other than what's around the Convention Center.

For those of you who know Nashville & / Or Tenn. do you have any suggestions for sight seeing, hotels, things to do, etc. I am 61 and not in the greatest of physical health so hiking, sking, drag car racing, etc, are not options. I am not into sports (We do like Nascar), we love beautiful scenery and if getting to the Rockies in a few hours is an option, we would love that.:goodvibes We both like country music and are not "fancy" people. We like good steaks (he eats all steaks and I like Filets). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much, Penny:hippie:

Nashville has lots of great things to do. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip there.
The Gaylord itself is quite an attraction and some of the restaurants are excellent. Don't miss De-Vine.
Opryland is just out the backdoor of the Gaylord - we saw Kerry
Underwood while we were there.
Downtown Nashville is not too far away. You will find all kinds of music. You can wander down the street and stop in any number of bars with live music - many of them are free to walk in an. We found a wonderful young group that we really enjoyed - and then a few we didn't.
The Wildhorse Saloon is downtown and has some top acts - we just missed Ringo Star and Gladys Night.
There are some great shops to go through on the main streets, interesting history spots and some good restaurants. We enjoyed Big River Brewery (like at Disney Boardwalk) - the food was better in Nashville. You can see the Titans football stadium from Big River. It's not football season but there might be a gift shop or tours there - not sure.
One other place we loved was Belle Meade Plantation - the grounds are beautiful and the tour is fascinating. It was a center of thoroughbred horse racing and horse breeding in the 19th century. The restaurant there was outstanding. It is open for lunch and dinner. I loved the fried green tomatoes. The salads were excellent and a little different from the norm.

I'm sure you'll have a great time.

I don't get over to Nashville as often as I would like so I'll let others say what to do while you are there. You'll be completely immersed in country music at the Opyrland.

Count on the Smokies being a 4.5 hour drive from there. Mid to late April is a beautiful time to visit. You don't have to be an avid hiker to enjoy the views and see the wildflowers. There are plenty of places to pull off and take as short walk in the woods.

The Smokey Mtns would be quite a long drive for you.

If you love steak - eat at The Stockyard: http://stock-yardrestaurant.com/ The old commercial "You wanna be seen at the Stockyard." ha! Lots of famous people and GREAT steak.

Go to the Country Music Hall of Fame. You will love it if you love Country Music.

Don't waste your time at the Nashville Zoo - it is very hilly and way over priced for a terrible zoo - I have been to free zoos that are much better (like the St. Louis Zoo.)

Opry Mills is a fun tourist mall - very big. Easy to find take 40 or 24 to Briley Parkway. Opry Mills is right beside the Gaylord Opryland Hotel. Speaking of the hotel - it is fantastic. Take the boat ride through.

Another great mall is on I65 about 20 minutes South - straight shot from downtown - Cool Springs Galleria. There are LOTS of great restaurants there - I highly recommend Omikoshi (Japanese) Steak House.

Belle Meade Plantation is lovely.

Be sure and stroll down 2nd street one night and take in the nightlife. Go to the Blue Bird Cafe and the Wildhorse. Oh, and the Melting Pot is yummy!

I live about an hour and a half away and we take many, many trips to Nashville all the time. Let me know if you have any questions!!!

Angie

Thank everyone. It sounds like going to the Mountains might be too long a drive. :sad2: Looks like we will stick with the Opry and areas around Nashville. I am copying all these ideas to my "to do" list. Keep them coming. Thanks so very much. Penny:goodvibes

I've stayed at the Gaylord Opryland and let me tell you...it's awesome! You will love it! So pretty. I loved, loved sitting out on my balcony. :goodvibes

We didn't spend alot of time seeing Nashville, we stayed there before heading over to Memphis to see Graceland. We did stop by the Country Music Hall of Fame though and I loved it, I was sorry we didn't have more time there.

I don't know if you are an Elvis fan, but I really enjoyed touring Graceland. It's not that close though, 3 hours to Memphis from Nashville.

We stayed at the Gaylord in 2003, it really is a beautiful hotel.

Nashville is a very friendly town, and if you happen to be heading south in your travels, the National Corvette Museum in less than an hour away in Bowling Green, KY. Recently expanded the museum is directly across form the production plant for the Corvette, which also holds scheduled public tours when open (check hours and availabilty prior).

Have fun!

As a Nashville resident I get asked this question all the time. Here are some of the suggestions the wife and I give out:

Gaylord Opryland Resort: This place is an experience all in itself. You could explore and wander this place for days on end! There are so many dining and entertainment opportunities that you'll remain busy there. Plus there's an interresting little boat ride inside the hotel's atrium that is a nice little distraction.

Country Music Hall of Fame: If you're an avid country fan (we're not) you'll enjoy this. The exhibits are very interresting and there are often performances going on there as well.

The Hermitage: This is the former home of Andrew Jackson and his family and it along with the surrounding gardens are fantastic in the spring! There's a great audio tour you can use once you're there as well and it is a very relaxing time.

Avoid Broadway and Second avenue. It's far too touristy and the honky tonks are loud...smokey...and most of the music coming from them isn't very good.

The Stockyard is a nice place to eat. I'd like to add Demo's, Mamma Mia's, Sole Mio's, and The Loveless Cafe! If you want a great breakfast make your way out to the Loveless Cafe...best...place...ever!

Oh and people don't knock our zoo. Keep in mind that Nashville didn't have a zoo until fifteen to twenty years ago, it had a wildlife park and that's it. It's only in the past ten years or so that the funding has come available to develop the zoo. It's growing and will be a fantastic experience when it's complete.

Can you tell I'm a sponser for the zoo? :thumbsup2

I disagree about staying away from 2nd Avenue. Nashville is blessed with incredible "amateur" musicians playing at the various bars and restaurants on 2nd Avenue (which, by the way, is where Wildhorse is located). Tourist shops do exist, and they aim at the stereotype of country music. However, the music scene in Nashville is hardly dominated by honky-tonk.

When I was a college student living in Nashville, we were regulars at Mulligans Irish Pub on 2nd Avenue, which has great live Irish music and drinking songs on Thursdays-Saturdays. Also in that area of town is the new Schermerhorn Symphony Hall, home of the Nashville Symphony. It is very elegant and reminds me of the opera hall in Vienna, Austria. If you take in a performance, the Suntrust building donates free parking for concert patrons, with a shuttle that takes you from the Suntrust building to the hall and back. Another location in the downtown area is the Frist Center, which is an art museum.

Finally, get out to the West End area and visit Centennial Park to see the full-scale Parthenon, which has a museum inside. When the weather is nice, it is not uncommon for a headliner music group to be performing a free concert. I've walked through the park and heard Jars of Clay performing on a couple of occasions without knowing about it ahead of time.

Nashville is a compact city that is easily navigatable with great food, great music, and a surprising amount of culture.

How could I forget the Schermerhorn Symphony Hall and the Frist! We're members of both! Those are both fantastic places to spend time!

Regarding 2nd avenue and Broadway, I don't know...I understand there are some quality places to visit (I personally wouldn't include the Wild Horse in that group) but I was referring more to the small venues, i.e. Tootsie's Orchid Lounge etc...these places tend to be so small...congested...loud and smokey that we don't find them enjoyable at all. To each his own I'm certain but we just don't enjoy them whatsoever.

The Parthenon is great too! We love the arts festivals they hold in Centennial Park each spring and fall.

If you like a trendy little area, go to Hillsboro village on 21st Ave by Vanderbilt University. Fido's is a really cool coffee shop. Pancake Pantry is a popular breakfast spot for the famous. Taylor Swift and that werewolf guy from Twilight (don't kill me, I don't know his name) were there a few weeks ago. Green Hills Mall is not too far from there and it's an upscale place to shop. And if you can, try PM and ChaCha on Belmont. Both are owned by my friend Arnold and he is the executive chef for both. They are great restaurants and are popular. Also, you could try to catch a show at TPAC downtown.
Plus, you could totally do all the kitchy tourist traps by Gaylord Opryland. There are a lot of weird, museums and things within walking distance.
Just be sure to check out more than just the country music part of Nashville. People are usually surprised to see what all it has to offer.

I am copying all of this information down and then checking it twice. We can't wait. DH is Irish (a few generations from Ireland) but we both love Irish Music and Country Music. He also likes the Violent Femmes & the Doors :lmao:. We are looking to a few relaxing days before the conference starts. thanks again and keep it coming. :goodvibesPenny

mmmm I forgot about Demo's and the Loveless Cafe! Both are VERY GOOD!

The Mall at Green Hills is a little to upscale for my tastes, but if you like upscale stuff - that is the place to go.

There is also a science center in Nashville, just fyi.

Hotel Questions
We are staying at Gaylords from 4/20 to 4/24, we are looking for a place to stay from 4/18 (when we come in) to 4/20.
We have decided to stay around? I found a few places that look good (and cheaper than Opryland) around there. Specifically Hampton Inn & Suites (#3 on Trip Advisor). Fairfield Inn & Suites (#8 on TA), Holiday Inn Express Suites (#10 on TA). We are looking for Suites as I am an early riser and DH likes to sleep in so two rooms, even if partially divided, work well for us.
Any advice about hotels would be appreciated. thanks so much, Penny

DH & I always go Honky Tonkin' whenever we get to Nashville.

We take an evening to go in & out of the clubs on Broadway (between 5th and 2nd).
We like Tootsies Orchid Lounge, Layla's Bluegrass Inn and Robert's Western World. You will find lots of great music in many other clubs as well.

Make sure you check out Hatch Showprint; they print new and reproduction band posters. Very cool stuff.

The tour of the Ryman is very good.

Have fun! :wizard:

If you are talking about the Hampton Inn and Suites on Elm Hill Pike, I have stayed there several times and can vouch for it. There are a ton of hotels in Nashvegas and you will see that most of them will be less expensive than Opryland. There are many hotels on Elm Hill Pike, actually, and that is very close to the Gaylord - easy to get around.

Well, after many, many hours of obsessing over where to stay, I think we have settled on the Drury near the airport. The price is right for a 2 room suite and it is ranked #3 by Trip Advisor and the reviews look great. As we will be staying in the Gaylord for most of the stay, I don't mind being a few miles away as we will have a car. Any comments about this hotel would be appreciated? thanks, Penny:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter