• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT: My fur babies are sick

Hi Erika - Hi Izzy :wave2:

I hope you both had a good Valentine's weekend.

I agree with the OP, smaller dose of the pain meds before the suture removal soulds like a great idea.

Hope Izzy hasn't been having anymore coughing spells. I can feel his pain, poor kitty :hug:

Keep us all posted on his recovery and especially your consult with Oncololgy

No more coughing spells so far! His vet appointment went well today. For most of it I rubbed his neck and he didn't really even know that the vet was working on him. When he did realize, he let out a few good hisses we finished up and he was back in his carrier! Phew! My consult with oncology was very informative and I have some thinking to do. Chemo is an option but we are not sure that it is really best for a kitty who gets so stressed and uncooperatve at the vet unless I am handling him. Me handling him would not be possible with the chemo options so we really need to think about what it will gain him. His prognosis is 2-4 months without treatment and 6-8 months if he responds to treatment. There is only a 40-50% chance that the chemo will have a positive affect and the chance that if he has it and reacts to it he may land in the hospital. Oh and it will make him not feel well - nausea, vomiting, etc. They do actually use nsaid pain relievers with cat cancers for pain and also to slow the progression of the disease. This he can have at home every 3 days and I think I will use that for him. I feel bad because I had never met this Doc - she was really wonderful - before and having lost my 21 year old cat 1.75 years ago and my 19 year old dog the year before that, I just started to cry when trying to talk to her about Izzy. I can usually hold it together but I never expected to have to deal with this again so soon. Anyway, not sure what to think about the chemo and I will need to decide in the next few days so if we decide to go ahead with it, it is timely after the surgery. He is feeling much better, playing, eating and having lots of "mom" - Izzy time so for now all is better.

I am still waiting for blood test results on my Lab Josie. It was sent to Michigan, the only place in the US that runs this particular test and only once per month. I guess I should call and follow up as they said they would run it early in Feb. We need to make some decisions for her too. Please say some prayers that we can figure out why her gums are growing, her teeth spreading out and that it is not anything like poor Izzy.

Thank you for keeping us in ur thoughts and prayers.

~Erika

Oh Erika - :sad1::sad2:

I have no words . . . I am so very very sorry for Izzy- even that can't begin to express my sorrow for the both of you.

I will continue to send prayers :angel: and virtual hugs your way :hug:

Hoping the news regarding Josie will be "lighter & brighter"

Erika - I so feel your pain and I am so sorry.

My fur babies are my life also. Just two weeks ago I had to put to sleep my poor little baby Duchess - she too had lung cancer. It was quite a shock. I have been mainly focused on my little dog (18.5 years old) who has tracheal collapse (which causes the occassional cough). So this was a shock. Worried about one, but lost the other.

Duchess has always been 100% healthy. About a month ago, she coughed one day. So I thought maybe both had a lung condition of some sort. Then Duchess acted as if she couldn't cough up a hairball. I wasn't too worried and went on a one week solo trip to WDW. My husband stayed behind; I asked each day about all my babies and he said they were fine, although Duchess was still trying to cough up the hairball.

When I returned, I took her to the vet on a Sat. morning. The vet said she looked good, he thought she had a hairball problem and her lungs sounded raspy so he thought she might also have asthma. He said an X-ray would confirm but we decided just to give her hairball meds and an asthma shot.

Well all seemed fine. Duchess was active and happy. But then she started to isolate herself a bit; and then she didn't eat. This happened within 2-3 days. So, husband took her back to vet. He emailed me later that day - vet called and it was lung cancer. We made the decision to put her down that moment.

I just didn't want her to suffer. When I went to say goodbye, she had deteriorated. She had lost one pound since Sat (this was a Wed) and she was struggling to breath. But she was sweet, cuddling and loving to the very end. It was one of the saddest moments of my life.

I am so sorry for what you and your Izzy are going through.

BTW, we moved into a new home and my last kitty, Pumpkin, escaped. Was lost for 2 days. I was practically hysterical. Thank goodness she returned one morning. A complete miracle.

Hugs to you. :grouphug:

Erika - I so feel your pain and I am so sorry.

My fur babies are my life also. Just two weeks ago I had to put to sleep my poor little baby Duchess - she too had lung cancer. It was quite a shock. I have been mainly focused on my little dog (18.5 years old) who has tracheal collapse (which causes the occassional cough). So this was a shock. Worried about one, but lost the other.

Duchess has always been 100% healthy. About a month ago, she coughed one day. So I thought maybe both had a lung condition of some sort. Then Duchess acted as if she couldn't cough up a hairball. I wasn't too worried and went on a one week solo trip to WDW. My husband stayed behind; I asked each day about all my babies and he said they were fine, although Duchess was still trying to cough up the hairball.

When I returned, I took her to the vet on a Sat. morning. The vet said she looked good, he thought she had a hairball problem and her lungs sounded raspy so he thought she might also have asthma. He said an X-ray would confirm but we decided just to give her hairball meds and an asthma shot.

Well all seemed fine. Duchess was active and happy. But then she started to isolate herself a bit; and then she didn't eat. This happened within 2-3 days. So, husband took her back to vet. He emailed me later that day - vet called and it was lung cancer. We made the decision to put her down that moment.

I just didn't want her to suffer. When I went to say goodbye, she had deteriorated. She had lost one pound since Sat (this was a Wed) and she was struggling to breath. But she was sweet, cuddling and loving to the very end. It was one of the saddest moments of my life.

I am so sorry for what you and your Izzy are going through.

BTW, we moved into a new home and my last kitty, Pumpkin, escaped. Was lost for 2 days. I was practically hysterical. Thank goodness she returned one morning. A complete miracle.

Hugs to you. :grouphug:

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I am so sorry about what you had to go through with your Duchess. I lost my 21 year old cat Tigger about a year and a half ago and I still miss her so much. I never expected to go through this again so soon since Izzy is only 11! Izzy's cancer was found by accident at his well cat appointment. He had coughed only a few random times and I thought like you it was a hairball. It is such a sad thing. I am glad your Pumpkin came home though! I would have been out of my mind with worry.

Izzy is out of the crate and seemily doing well. We have decided against chemo for him as it doesn't have a high sucess rate and makes them feel really yucky. They can also react poorly and end up in the hospital and they are concerned about being able to treat him as well since he is not "vet freindly". We are giving him a med that slows the disease progression and helps with any pain so we will take it one day at a time. (He just jumped on my lap, lol, he must have known I was typing about him!)

Think about happy times with Duchess and know I'm sending you prayers for peace!

~Erika

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I am so sorry about what you had to go through with your Duchess. I lost my 21 year old cat Tigger about a year and a half ago and I still miss her so much. I never expected to go through this again so soon since Izzy is only 11! Izzy's cancer was found by accident at his well cat appointment. He had coughed only a few random times and I thought like you it was a hairball. It is such a sad thing. I am glad your Pumpkin came home though! I would have been out of my mind with worry.

Izzy is out of the crate and seemily doing well. We have decided against chemo for him as it doesn't have a high sucess rate and makes them feel really yucky. They can also react poorly and end up in the hospital and they are concerned about being able to treat him as well since he is not "vet freindly". We are giving him a med that slows the disease progression and helps with any pain so we will take it one day at a time. (He just jumped on my lap, lol, he must have known I was typing about him!)

Think about happy times with Duchess and know I'm sending you prayers for peace!

~Erika

Thank you for your kind words. They really do help.

I hope all is going well Erika. It has been awhile since I have been able to visit the Boards. It's so tough when they are not vet friendly. My cat, Winston, was like that. Of course, he was the one that became diabetic requiring insulin shots twice daily. I thought I was going to lose my mind at first. Finally we got into a routine and it worked out. About a year or so later, he passed away. I don't remember the exact term, but his insides got twisted and he couldn't digest food. My poor boy.

It's so hard when our fur babies aren't well. Just stay strong knowing that you are doing the best you can. They know how much you love them. Best wishes. :flower3:

Hi all,

I just wanted to post an update. Izzadore seems to be doing really well. He is eating, playing, purring and acting like a normal cat. He does cough once in a while but otherwise seems ok so far. His fur hasn't grown back yet so he looks kind of funny but the cancer seems to be progressing very slowly. :goodvibes Josie is scheduled to go in for Xrays on May 13th. It is the last test to try and diagnose her wierd problem. She seems to be fine other than bad breath and very crooked odd looking teeth. We'll see what they find in May. Keep the pixie dust coming, it seems to be working especially for Izzy!

~Erika

She seems to be fine other than bad breath and very crooked odd looking teeth.
i think i may have dated your cat in high school..............please take that as the joke it was meant to be............i am glad your pets are responding............we have periodic trouble with the little guy in my siggi and just never know when it will flare up and they just cant tell ya how bad they feel which makes me feel even worse.............good luck.

i think i may have dated your cat in high school..............please take that as the joke it was meant to be............i am glad your pets are responding............we have periodic trouble with the little guy in my siggi and just never know when it will flare up and they just cant tell ya how bad they feel which makes me feel even worse.............good luck.

HA! That totally cracked me up!

Erika, it was great to see your update and hear that all is well at the moment. I hadn't seen an update from you in quite sometime, so it was scary at first to see another. Critter hugs to all

Erika, it was great to see your update and hear that all is well at the moment. I hadn't seen an update from you in quite sometime, so it was scary at first to see another. Critter hugs to all

Hi All!

Quick update: Izzy is doing ok. Coughing a bit more than he was but otherwise eating, playing, purring & generally happy. Josie goes in tomorrow for the last round of diagnostics and symptom relief. No diagnosis yet but her teeth are still spreading, gums growing and bad breath. They will do a teeth cleaning, gum biopsy, Xrays that will be read and then maybe a CT if they see something on the Xrays, maybe a bone biopsy, check her throat because of increased gagging and the maybe repairs to her mouth to help aleviate her gums issues/discomfort. Will be be @ Tufts Walpole with a team put togther so they can do all at once. Will be an early long stressful day so any good vibes will be appreciated. I hope for some answers but pray it's not unmanagable or terminal.

Thanks!

Erika

As always, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and the furbabies. Thanks for taking the time to update us

Good luck tomorrow. I hope you get some answers and that whatever it is, is treatable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter