OT- minivan or third row suv

Had an SUV with a third row, we were considering a mini-van. My DH went out and picked it out before I even got out of the hospital with baby number 3. After he put the third car seat in (all not being easily moveable) he realized how hard it would be. If your kids are all young it can be hard unless there is an easy way to get to the back. We kept the SUV (got rid of the car) and bought a Honda mini van. I like the look and the drive of the SUV, but the mini van is much easier, smoother, more convient. Hands down it works best if you have a lot of small kids. Also love the power sliding doors, life saver when you are trying to get three small kids, bags etc into the car.

I am another Yukon XL (Suburban) driver. It is perfect for our family.
We did attempt a minivan a few years ago, in between this truck and our last Suburban. My husband thought I would grow to love it. I hated every minute of it, lol. We had an Odyessy. I am just not a minivan Mom. ;)

My only suggestion, for either a minivan or a SUV, is captains chairs in the middle row. They are a must have each time I get a new truck. Our kids are 11, 9 and 5. Our daughter is in a Britax Regent in one of the captains chairs. It is so easy for one of the boys to be able to walk through to the third row.

As for having three kids...no problem at all for us.:lovestruc Congrats to you!!

If you can narrow it down to a few vehicles that you are interested in, you could always rent each for a day. That way, you can try installing the car seats how you would like them to see the fit, you could see how the vehicles fit in your garage, etc. When we decided to get a minivan, it was between the Odyssey and the Sienna. One of the main reasons that we did not get the Sienna was that I really didn't like the way the gear shift stick thing worked. I wouldn't have known how much this bugged me without at least doing a test drive.

I would go for the minivan given that you still have small children. It is so much easier to get them in and out of a van. The sliding doors are great when you have your hands full! I would also recommend the captains chairs in the 2nd row. Makes it so much easier to get to the 3rd row. We have a Honda Odyssey and an Acura MDX. While the MDX is more fun to drive, the van has more room and it's easier to get our 1 year old in and out. Plus the area behind the 3rd row in the van is pretty big - we can fit a ton of stuff in there! Good luck!

If you can narrow it down to a few vehicles that you are interested in, you could always rent each for a day. That way, you can try installing the car seats how you would like them to see the fit, you could see how the vehicles fit in your garage, etc. When we decided to get a minivan, it was between the Odyssey and the Sienna. One of the main reasons that we did not get the Sienna was that I really didn't like the way the gear shift stick thing worked. I wouldn't have known how much this bugged me without at least doing a test drive.

This is great idea. I have also heard of dealers who will let you actually take a vehicle home and "test it out" for a day or two.

Add me to the Honda Odyssey crowd. :lovestruc We have three girls (oldest is 7) and would be lost without it. It's funny to me that people are so anti-minivan. It seems they've been around long enough now that they're not "strange" to see and they've proven themselves so useful and family friendly. Of course, I'm not a "car person" at all, so I never really cared about how uncool I looked carting my kiddies around! :laughing:

I'm not terribly concerned about social labels or what other people think of me or what I drive, so I looked around for what vehicle would best fit the purpose I needed it for.

I have had a mazda MPV for the last six years and have been very happy with it. It's one of the first crossover vehicles, it looks like a minivan, is as long as a honda accord, and has the ground clearance of an SUV. However, they stopped making them in '06 in favor of the Mazda 5, which is a smaller version. It might be too small for your family, although it is totally cool looking and does have three rows of seats:

mazda_5.jpg

I plan on keeping the MPV (which looks very similar to the above mazda5) for another three years (kids will be 13 & 12 when we get a new one), and then I'm getting another vehicle that has three rows of seats, since we take a LOT of roat trips and find that having one kid per row keeps family harmony intact for long distances. The cars that are currently on my radar that have three rows of seats and have good safety ratings are as follows:

Mazda CX-9 (three rows, seven passenger seating, not a ton of room but hugely fun to drive)

08mazda_cx9_cjt-01_opt.jpg

Mercedes R class (it's a freaking luxury tank, it may not actually fit in my garage, but it's safe, insanely comfortable, and scores high on my weird-o-meter!):

2008.mercedes-benz.r-class.20166167-396x249.jpg

Ford Flex (I'm leery about ford quality but find this vehicle totally fascinating):

2009_Ford_Flex_back_roof.jpg

and the Mercedes Benz E class station wagon, which is very pricey (10k more than the R class, similarly equipped), but a choice I might make if this is my next "10 year" car, especially if I get the Blue Tec diesel which gets about 40 mpg!!!

717bc_2010_mercedes_benz_e_class_estate_rendering_0010112950x673.jpg

The most interesting part is in three years, who knows what kind of cool cars will be out there!

If you're cool with a minivan, I definitely think that's the way to go. I just can't bring myself to drive one, but from friends who have them, I can tell you they're great with kids. I've heard a lot of good things about the Honda Odyssey.

That said, I have an Acadia and I LOVE it! I picked it because it offered the 2nd row captains chairs so there's a little gap between the seats for easy access to the 3rd row. I knew I was going to have 2 carseats in the 2nd row seats, so those seats folding up to get to the back wasn't going to work for us. With the captains chairs, people can just walk to the back without doing anything to the 2nd row seats.

Right now, we usually don't have anyone in the 3rd row, so I keep it down and that leaves a ton of space in the back. When the seat is up, it really comfortable, especially for a 3rd row. It can fit 2 adults comfortabley.

The gas mileage is pretty good, especially for the size of it, and I love the XM radio and OnStar.

Good luck deciding!

I could not have said it any better. I have an Acadia and love it. Even with the third row in use (for adults when need be), we can fit our Combi Twin Savvy stroler in the back with no problem.

We went from an Audi A6 to the Acadia and have been very happy. It's a minivan on the inside, SUV on the outside. And gets decent gas mileage, way better than a Yukon/Tahoe.

I've been driving a minivan for 12 years. There's more interior space, they drive well, and the sliding doors are awesome. Plus, they're cheaper than SUV's, and get better gas mileage. It was a no brainer for me. I thought about buying a monster SUV when I found out I was having twins, but I live in a very old town, built before cars were even invented, and driving and parking a minivan is easier.

Edited to add, I do a lot of carpooling, and when my gf with the SUV drives, she's pulling booster seats in and out, kids are climbing over seats, etc. I don't even get out of my van - just push the button. Oh, and I have an Odyssey.

Thanks to everyone on their replies! I love our suv (buick rainier) currently, but I hate when my family comes or we want to do something with friends and we always have to take 2 cars!

I think I can get over the uncool factor for a while. But I drove an Ody and honestly didn't like it inside. I want leather and a little more polished interior.

I finally got my car paid off, so I think we will wait until we are for sure preggers before looking. I wish I could merge the new chrysler interior with honda motor, lol!

Oh and thanks to all who shared their stories of having 3 kids! All I hear is the horrors, so it is good to hear positive stories!

For those who live in snowy areas, how are your minis in the snow? I always see my neighbor getting stuck in her driveway!

My odyssey does great in the snow - and I LOVED having 3 kids (not that I don't love having 5, but I'd take 3 over 2 anyday).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter