• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT: Mexico

ScrapHappyMama

Mouseketeer
I will turn 40 in April and wanted to do something fun and different for a long weekend type trip, and was thinking about a Mexico all inclusive. Anyone know which area in Mexico is best for families??? Cancun vs. Puerto Vallarta vs. any other suggestions??? I was tempted to make it just dh and I, but dd (who is only 6) has talked for the past two years about wanting to go to Mexico... how she knows what the heck Mexico even is, I have know idea.... but she would be so sad if she knew mommy and daddy went there without her, lol. We tried to fool her last month in EPCOT and told her she was in Mexico, but she said she still wants to go to the REAL Mexico.

We took our kids to Gala Beach resort on Playa Del Carmen in 2006, the beach was fabulous, activities were great but food was not. Our previous Mexico experience was a hubby & I only trip to Riu Palace, also in Playa del Carmen (just south of Cancun). I highly recommend the area, check out www.locogringo.com for tons of info - like a Disboard for Mexico! I have vacation addictions! :)
We said that if we ever go back to Mexico we would go to Palladium Resort, it is supposed to have great reviews and very child friendly with good food.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info!! For Playa del Carmen do you fly into the Cancun airport?? If the resort doesn't offer transfers, do you know about how much a cab would cost??? Is that website for all of Mexico, or just that one area?? Sorry I have so many questions.... but I am a planning freak!!

Thanks for the info!! For Playa del Carmen do you fly into the Cancun airport?? If the resort doesn't offer transfers, do you know about how much a cab would cost??? Is that website for all of Mexico, or just that one area?? Sorry I have so many questions.... but I am a planning freak!!

Yes you fly into Cancun and transfers are included with all the AI (all-inclusive) resorts. The website is for the "Mayan Riviera" so Cancun and south side.....it's the better side for beaches and PDC is more family oriented than Cancun which to us seemed more like a Miami beach, teens, thongs, people partying......we loved Playa Del Carmen so much better.

Any other ? feel free to PM me...we have traveled alot with our kids (europe, mexico, usa, cuba) and research so much too - type A OCD - that's me! :thumbsup2

Yes you fly into Cancun and transfers are included with all the AI (all-inclusive) resorts. The website is for the "Mayan Riviera" so Cancun and south side.....it's the better side for beaches and PDC is more family oriented than Cancun which to us seemed more like a Miami beach, teens, thongs, people partying......we loved Playa Del Carmen so much better.

Any other ? feel free to PM me...we have traveled alot with our kids (europe, mexico, usa, cuba) and research so much too - type A OCD - that's me! :thumbsup2

YEA!! Someone else who didn't think Cancun was all that great! DH & I went a few years ago...we won't be going back. Just too much like a large downtown city with a beach. We would have liked it when we were in college but now...we can't party like that anymore! We went to Cabo san Lucas the following year and would go back in a heartbeat!!! Beautiful, relaxing, fun, just perfect!!! I'd highly recommend Cabo to anyone!!

I would vote for anywhere but Cancun. Or Cozumel. I guess I am just not crazy about Mexico. Cancun is too touristy. Felt like I was still in America. And it is hot! Different from Jamaica or Bahamas hot. Sun is broiling hot there. But if you do go to Cancun, there are plenty of all-inclusives. We stayed at the Riu Cancun, but felt it was really boring, and the food was horrible.

I went with my sister in January to Vallarta Nayarit (north of Puerto Vallarta). We stayed at the Royal Decameron Complex (4*). We both really liked the place, but I have asthma and I am allergic to smoke. There was a lot of smoking at this resort-they give free cig. at the bars. There are 6 different buildings each with a pool or two (kids). There is even a adult only pool. We didn't see very many children but they had some children's activities.

I asked around when we went on a tour to Puerto Vallarta and it seemed like this resort was the worst for smoking. It could have just been others aren't as affected by it as I am.

***Do not go here if you do not like smoke or are allergic to it***

We've been to Puerto Vallarta and I didn't think it was all that. We stayed at Villa del Palmar (part of our timeshare exchange), which is right down the road from the airport, but then again...all the resorts are just down the road from the airport for the most part. Anyhoo...PV is not what I'd qualify as a family place, more of a place for couples, but that is JMO, others may feel differently. We rented a jeep and went around to the markets, hit all the touristy spots and went hot air ballooning. I was disappointed that the water didn't look all that inviting-it was very rough and I guess I was expecting that crystal blue water you see in the caribbean. The resort we were at had a lot of activities and we spent a lot of time there and on the beach. For us it was a total chill out vacation and not really a lot to do. I'd go back, but its not high on my priority list.

Some friends of ours went to Club Med in Ixtapa (sp) and loved it. They would go back again in a heartbeat.

Chris

We've stayed at the Riu Palace in Playa del Carmen, and it was a wonderful all-inclusive. Great food, accomodations, service, fabulous beach. We definitely plan to go next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter