OT : Memphis Tennessee

Pungodingy

<font color=blue>Never had a nickname so the Tag F
An unexpected business trip is sending me to Memphis, and I'll have some free time while there, anyone have any suggestions for sightseeing or fun stuff to do while I'm there?

Thanks!

GRACELAND! It's on the list of the top five coolest places I've ever been in my life!

Anne

I agree-- hit Graceland. Also hit Beale Street if you get a chance. They also have a civil rights museum there in the old Loreen Hotel where MLK was shot. Its really interesting as well. The Red Birds play there which is nice... there's quite a bit to do and see!

I'm a Memphis girl.

What do you like to do?
What do you like to eat?
When will it be (to check for special events)?

We have a pretty good zoo and there is speculation that the panda is preggers and if she is she should deliver any time which would be a big deal. They have done a lot of work on the zoo in the past few years and it is a very nice small zoo.

You might want to check out Victorian Village, National Ornamental Metal Museum, Dixon Gallery, Brook's Art Museum, Cordova Cellars, The Rendezvous, tea at the Peabody, Memphis Queen riverboat ride, The Cotton Museum, Mud Island, Audubon Park gardens, Shelby Farms, Meman-Shelby Forest, The Pink Palace Museum, Ducks Unlimited, and I'll probably think of some more places later.

If you want to drive to Mason tn check out Bozo's Restaurant and Gus' Fried Chicken.

The National Civil Rights Museum. The Lorraine Motel where MLK Jr was assassinated, and now the firehouse across the street from which the shot was fired, have been turned into a stunning museum of the civil right movement. An amazing experience.

Mud Island. This is an island right in the Mississippi (you walk or ride a tram over a very short causeway to get there). There are several things on the Island, but one of them is a large scale model of the lower Misissippi that you can walk - this is very cool. Also a museum about the Mississippi.

Eat some BBQ. Interstate on S. 3rd is a short cab ride away from the airport.

Great info, thanks much!

I like to try new foods, esp. when I'm someplace new, foods we dont have "back home' (NH)

I'm not too much into historical things, but that zoo sounds fun!

I'll be there 5/8-5/11 if you know of any events that might be fun to check out

Thanks again!!!!

I agree with the other posts. Definitely Graceland, whether you're an EP fan or not. You'll be amazed. But if you take the grand tour, which includes the planes and museums, expect to be there 3 or 4 hours. I've lived in Memphis for 35 years and did not go to Graceland until about 5 years ago and have been back twice. :music:

There's also Sun Studios where EP, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and others first recorded. It is in the downtown area and doesn't take long at all. And the Gibson Guitar Studio, which I have never been to but have heard it is really great. Beale street is wonderful at night.

Last but not least, make sure you eat some ribs at the Rendevous! They cannot be beat! :thumbsup2

Have fun!!! :banana: :banana:

I just vacationed in Memphis last week with an Elvis fan.

Graceland should be on your list. Also went to Sun Studios, the Memphis Zoo, Beale Street, walked along the Mississippi (they were setting up for RiverFest or something like that). If you're into baseball, the Redbirds play right in town a couple of blocks from Beale. The Pink Palace Museum in the Pyramid. Ride the trolleys - cheap, fun, and cool.

Rendezvous Ribs is AWESOME! We also had a burger at Huey's while in town.

Ah Memphis! I used to work for FED Ex, and spent a lot of time in Memphis. Do they still have the rooftop parties on the Peabody? We used to go there all the time for those, they were fun! It was tough getting up for work the next day however.
I also say thumbs up to Graceland. Even if you are not a big Elvis fan, it is definitely an interesting place to see. I also say thumbs up to the Rendezvous. Those are the best ribs in the world. I was also a big fan of John Will's BBQ Pit, but it is my understanding that they are all closed. I used to frequent the shack he had by the fairground. I got them to give me some BBQ sauce to take home in an old vinegar bottle they had laying around. It was also there that I discovered BBQ bologna, and BBQ Keilbasa. We also used to go and see the Memphis Chicks play baseball. But that too has given way to the Red Birds, and the beautiful ballpark downtown. I haven't been to Memphis in about 10-12 years, but I do need to get back and visit some of my old chums that still work for Fed Ex and live there.

The Memphis Zoo is great, as is Mud Island and Beale Street. We also visited the Pyramid while it was being built. I think the last time I was there they had a big Napoleon exhibition at the convention center. There is always something to do, and something going on! And if you are lucky enough to go in May, Memphis in May is one of the best parties on Earth!!!!

Ha, my business trip has sent me to Fed Ex, who should I say "hi" to for you?

Thanks for all the great ideas (but no one warned me it would be so HOT!!)

The zoo is really nice. There is a nice mall in the Germantown area The Galleria at Wolfchase, maybe? Rendezvous is a great experience, just be aware that you have to walk down an alley way to get there, can be kind of scary at night. A beautiful place to walk and overlook the river is the Riverwalk at Tom Lee park. Go across the street and walk along the bluffs, some of the houses are amazing. You can do this after visiting Mud Island. Be sure to check out the Memphis in May schedule! Beale Street is kind of cool. The Peabody Hotel, never saw the ducks or rooftop myself, and some bars, restaurants and shopping in Peabody Place would be good.

Just be very careful. Don't go out alone at night, well not even during the day for that matter! Memphis can be full of fun, but just be very aware of your surroundings at all times. Have a great time!

Thanks for all the great ideas (but no one warned me it would be so HOT!!)

You'd better thank your lucky stars it's not July or August. It can be miserably hot in those months! :sunny:

You'd better thank your lucky stars it's not July or August. It can be miserably hot in those months! :sunny:

It has been hot several days this week.
Much hotter than it should have been actually.
I'm thinking that it is going to be a rough summer.
And yes, July/August are usually miserable.
I call it "melt the eyeballs right out of your head" hot.

I dont know if you are reading your post.....but Ride the Ducks could be a fun thing to do too! I like the rendevous ribs but if I wanted a bbq sandwich or spaghetti or pizza I would go to Corkys!!!!! (it doesnt hurt to mention my DS is on a plaque in the lobby on Poplar ) He races the Corkys23 Kart. If you go...you have to check him out.......he is so dang cute!!!! We live about 10 houses from the Zoo and I think it is in a must if you like things like that. I hope you enjoy your stay. Have a safe trip!

I went to grad school in Memphis. Be careful, keep your car doors locked. It is not a safe town. That said, it is a fun town, lots to do. Corky's BBQ has the best pulled pork and ribs around. Enjoy your visit and remember - do not wear white if you are eating BBQ :)

Great info, thanks much!

I like to try new foods, esp. when I'm someplace new, foods we dont have "back home' (NH)

I'm not too much into historical things, but that zoo sounds fun!

I'll be there 5/8-5/11 if you know of any events that might be fun to check out

Thanks again!!!!

So, I'm curious, what did you do?

You guys are the BEST

I made it to Hueys (YUM) McAllisters (YUM) and Rendevous (YUM)...lots of eating, great suggestions, thanks again

I did the Fed Ex Hub Tour and the Command and Control Tour, I went by Graceland, but not in it (ran out of time)...Went to Peabody Place, and Beale Street (I saw Elvis, twice!) and got lost and went to Arkansas (oops) Went to the Zoo, the pandas are SO cute! No baby yet, I had hoped she'd have it so I could see it!

Went out for a run, and got SO scared, had several people asking for money, and one followed me, not a nice feeling...plus had one guy banging on my car window at a red light...but I made it out ok!

Oh, I did do some work too (that IS why I was there)

Thanks again for all the great ideas...if "y'all" ever come to NH, I'll return the favor!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter