OT- little girls and yeast infections/UTI

caribear

I love WDW!
My dd, soon to be 3, has been saying her "pee-pee" hurts whenever she goes to sit on the potty. She will say she has to go potty and then when she sits down she says it hurts...sometimes nothing comes out...other times she does go. I think she might be holding it back because it burns when she goes potty. From what I can tell it is a little red...a little white-ish....and a little smelly. Sorry if this is TMI, but I just want to know if anyone has seen these symptoms and has any advice.

Thanks!!

I'm sorry dd isn't feeling well. Is she feeling better today? Does she like cranberry juice?

Do you mean her urine is red??? I would get her to the doctor.

eta: my mother had a really UTI when she was a little girl. They can be dangerous. Not trying to scare you, but just think you should get her checked out as soon as you can :(

Aww, So sorry to hear this!
Not too sure, but I would take her to get looked at. Don't know if you've ever had a UTI, but it is extremely painful when you urinate, and very uncomfortable even when your not!
Usually its the antibiotics that give the yeast infections.

Get her an appt with her pediatrician today (or at the very least at an urgent center) and ask for a urine culture. My guess, they will "dipstick" the urine initially for blood, nitrites and leukocytes. And if any of these come up positive you will be walking out the door with a prescription of an antibiotic for her. Make sure she is wiping herself properly (front to back). An UTI at any age is painful and can eventually lead to serious problems. Good luck :flower:

My dd 2 had a UTI in the winter...as others stated UTIs can be dangerous and any suspected ones should be checked for immediately. Our doctor sends any child with a UTI under the age of 5 for a renal ultrasound and VCUG (catheter with dye to look at the kidneys/bladder) as a precaution. We did this and it revealed that Becca has reflux, which means that instead of all her urine being released by the bladder like it should some of it goes back up into her kidney. This can cause serious kidney infections and kidney damage so she is on antibiotics for two years and gets regular screening to see if there are any changes. If she got another UTI (unlikely with the constant antibiotics) or in cases of kidney damage the condition can require surgery. We were lucky that our doctor is so good about getting things checked like that--If it is a UTI you might want to ask what screenings they recommend.
Good luck and I hope your DD is feeling better!

Yes definitely have her checked. Another reflux mommy here, we know too well what damage an untreated UTI can cause to a child's kidneys. Please keep us posted.

BeccaGrace said:
My dd 2 had a UTI in the winter...as others stated UTIs can be dangerous and any suspected ones should be checked for immediately. Our doctor sends any child with a UTI under the age of 5 for a renal ultrasound and VCUG (catheter with dye to look at the kidneys/bladder) as a precaution. We did this and it revealed that Becca has reflux, which means that instead of all her urine being released by the bladder like it should some of it goes back up into her kidney. This can cause serious kidney infections and kidney damage so she is on antibiotics for two years and gets regular screening to see if there are any changes. If she got another UTI (unlikely with the constant antibiotics) or in cases of kidney damage the condition can require surgery. We were lucky that our doctor is so good about getting things checked like that--If it is a UTI you might want to ask what screenings they recommend.

DITTO THIS! Anytime a young child gets even ONE UTI, they absolutely must get a VCUG plus renal ultrasound. My little girl (almost 3) just was diagonosed with Level 4 VUR (reflux). We are now scheduled for surgery. Note: this doesn't always call for surgery...it is just her specific case. Most kids outgrow it and remain on antibiootics (like above poster said) to prevent any other UTIs. My little one has had 2 serious kidney infections and been hospitalized both times. We are still assessing any long-term kidney damage...so far, so good.

But PLEASE...get her checked. Again, the standard protocol for any child with only one UTI is to have these tests done.

Feel free to PM me and I can give you lots of informative web sites. Or, you can just google "UTI and Children" or any such combination and you will find good info. This is actually very common. Good luck.

BeccaGrace said:

I would have to agree with this. My sister has have UTIs all her life--back in those days, they just treated it and didn't ask questions. Now she's 40yo and dealing with kidney damage from all those UTIs in her childhood.

A couple of things can make your daughter feel better--motrin and sitting in a tub of warm water. If she is running fever, has reddish urine, or pain in her abdomen or back, you have a serious situation and she should be treated pronto.
Little girls can get yeast infections at this age simply due to poor hygeine, as well as antibiotic usage. All yeast needs is a dark, warm, wet environoment and it takes off. If it's a yeast infection they'll probably suggest some Lotrimin cream for a few days, white cotton panties and sitz baths to ease her discomfort.

It's hard to tell with such a young child whether they are describing pain with urination or pain because of skin inflammation. A doctor can easily tell the difference with a few tests.i would suggest having her seen today to rule out UTI.

DD had a UTI when she was little. I think it was from bubble bath! We had gotten some Dora Bubble Bath as a gift and the third time we used it she got a yeast infection and a UTI! We have not used it since and she is ok. The Dr was going to send her for more tests if she got another but she did not. I am pretty sure we had antibiotics and some cream (since the antibiotics would give her another or make it worse). Good Luck.

Hi, my daughter is 8 and is a reflux kid...she has it on both sides and started at 6mo. old getting high temps (107+) and one infection after another. I think she had them from the start because she was always cranky and hated lying or sitting down (aka backache). At her worst she was a grade 5 on both sides, she is now a 2 and 3. Which is not perfect but better, she remains infection free without antibiotic. Unfortunatly she has had 7 operations for the repair of this, plus another 5 for a cleft lip repair. Shes a tough cookie! We also did the VCUG & Sonograms every 6 mon. then yearly, now every 2 years. It is important to follow it all up closely because she will get kidney damage, fortunatly our kidneys can repair themselves if not damaged too severly. This was my daughters case. And if you do not feel comfortable with your Ped. get 2nd and 3rd opinions. Smelly urine is not always a sign, because my daughter would never have pain urinating or a smell to her urine, she would just spike a high fever and when the urine was tested, it was very infected. So UTI's can brew for awhile before actually presenting themselves. Bubble bath is also a bad culprit. We never use it! To the parents with children on antibiotcs for long periods of time watch out for other side effects the long term use can present, because my daughter was on them for 2 years and is now allergic to penicillian & sulfa and her teeth are yellow with white blotchiness on them because of the overuse of antibiotics. This is minimal considering the worst that would have happened if she didnt take the antibiotics. But sometimes reflux can remain without infections, such as my daughters case. Good luck! :flower:

Also watch out for antibiotic resistant infections. I always thought my Dr was "mean" for not giving us antibiotics for all ear infections etc. Well, DS ended up with a huge antibiotic resistant infection...it was horrible. We had to go through 6 weeks of strong antibiotics to clear it up. Now, I don't fuss when Dr says to wait a day or so and see how it goes........

Thanks everyone for the advice!! I called my DR and she seems to think it is not a UTI. I have an appt for Monday anyway to make sure. DD is fine today and everything looks better. I did put a little desitin on her and she says it no longer hurts to go potty. I am also going to stop using Mr Bubble for her baths...although she begs for a bubble bath every night I think it might be the cause of her irritation.

Oh yeah! Mr. Bubble is THE WORST! That used to irritate me horribly as a little girl. There are soaps you can use as bubbles instead so she can still have a bubble bath. When I was little my mom used Phisoderm (after the Mr. Bubble fiasco) as a soap and to make bubbles.

Soap in general can cause a lot of irritation "down there" so be sure you're getting her rinsed real well. My DD was 8yo before we could bathe her with ANY soap. Even the smallest amount would cause terrible yeast infections. Eventually she learned to take showers and the soap issue went away.

Your choice of toilet paper can also give rashes due to the perfumes that are sometimes put in them. I buy the cheapest tp on the shelves, or Scot...neither have those irritants in them.

WOW~just stumbled across this forum, and am so happy (probably the wrong choice of words) to see so many others who have DDs with reflux. My DD5 is having surgery on Friday for Level 3 VUR.

We have stopped the bubble baths and now we put a few drops of food coloring in the water. Only a few drops so the water is a light shade of green, pink etc. If you put in to much it might stain the tub and your child's skin. We have not had any trouble with yeast infections and food coloring. Also I know you said your daughter went on the potty but we seem to have trouble with one type of diaper. I think maybe there is a scent or something that is irritating to DD. We now stick with Pampers and Pampers only. Good luck!

You guys are really something special. I have my DD that is 8 and she has had 2 UTI's and each time they cleared up with in 24 hours. The last one happened when she was at soccer camp during the summer and was not drinking enough. Now she has a glass of Cranberry juice every day. With the info I got from this thread I will ask her doctor about the reflux on her next visit for her asthma. The response you all gave OP and your genuine concern is really touching, I am glad I joined this forum! :love:
Cheers All :wave:

MrGrumpy222 said:
You guys are really something special. I have my DD that is 8 and she has had 2 UTI's and each time they cleared up with in 24 hours. The last one happened when she was at soccer camp during the summer and was not drinking enough. Now she has a glass of Cranberry juice every day. With the info I got from this thread I will ask her doctor about the reflux on her next visit for her asthma. The response you all gave OP and your genuine concern is really touching, I am glad I joined this forum! :love:
Cheers All :wave:
you should definitely have your doctor do a VCUG (certainly NOT the world's most uninvasive procedure :( :( ) but an absolute necessity. I really pushed back from my Dr. about doing the VCUG after DD's FIRST UTI, but she insisted it was necessary...fortunately for us, we caught it early, so that there has been no kidney damage.

Good luck to your DD :goodvibes: and you, Dad.

Cari, my daughter loves bubble baths too. In order to avoid any "irritation" I use aveeno stuff. It's the BEST.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter