OT - Kids Lunchbox Sugggestions

jensen

DIS Veteran
It's time to start packing lunchboxes for my kids day camps and I'm looking for suggestions for something other than the standard PB&J. What do your kids like in their lunches?

My guys like crackers/cheese/pepperoni, mac & cheese in a Thermos, yogurt with fruit, peanut butter cups with thing to dip in it (pretzels, apple slices etc). Sometimes they just want a variety of breakfast cereal. Anything goes as long as they eat it!:rolleyes:

My guys like crackers/cheese/pepperoni, mac & cheese in a Thermos, yogurt with fruit, peanut butter cups with thing to dip in it (pretzels, apple slices etc). Sometimes they just want a variety of breakfast cereal. Anything goes as long as they eat it!:rolleyes:

::yes:: :rolleyes1 Healthy is great but not if it comes home uneaten :sad2:

Other things I've done in a thermos:
French Toast with a side of yogurt
Soup and crackers
Hot dogs cut up (I'd give them baked beans too if they'd eat them:rolleyes:)
Fish-sticks

Celery sticks w/ peanut butter, crackers, fruit snacks, bananas, and goldfish are favorites here. Carrot sticks are good if your kids like them. Mine don't, but those would be convenient and easy to pack.

The trick is having a thermos. They sell really cute ones for kids at Target. (Bakugan, Star Wars, Hanna Montana,etc.) I've found that a lot of stress on "what to pack" got reduced when we finally got them thermoses. If I make spaghetti 1 night, they have it for leftovers the next day. If I make tacos for dinner, they have nachos (with the left over taco meat) or I stick a tortilla in the lunch box, with the meat, and shredded cheese and they make themselves a taco. Chicken nugs & chili are great in there.

One of my sons likes pasta salad, the other does not, but that is another idea, thermos not needed for that, just an ice pack. Do they like cold chicken? Will they eat a drumstick cold? Leftover pizza if they will eat it cold.

We also use a thermos. Chicken nuggets, spaghetti, mac & cheese, hot dogs. He refuses to eat pb&j, so that's a no-go for us. I'll make a grilled cheese and let it cool off then put it in a baggie. Sometimes, I'll cut it into a shape with a cookie cutter, other times, just into triangles.

I pack tortillas rolled with cream cheese and cinnamon, cheese blocks, bagel with cream cheese, salad with the dressing on the side, olives, and of course all the normal chips, goldfish, pretzels....

my girls love rollups.. I take ham or turkey and roll it around a stick of cheese. or a pickle. They also like wraps.. I make chicken salad and wrap it in a tortilla. Lunchables are like crack to little kids ;) I send pretzels and peanutbutter. goldfish crackers. we like carrots and peanutbutter too.. chips and salsa are a winner too.

I am also a big fan of getting a great thermos. My DS's have food allergies...so they always take their lunches.

Some of my kids favorites:

1) Spaghetti

2) soups

3) Tacos

4) sandwiches on rolls

5) turkey rolls...just plan turkey rolles up

6) Pizza sticks with sauce for dipping, cheese cubes, pepperioni & olives

7) Biscuits with jelly

8) Taco Salad

9) cresent rolls

10) Subway sandwiches

11) Dinner left overs

12) fried rice

** once day a week I make them pack their own lunch! They love doing this.

Chips and Salsa

Wraps-tortilla with peanut butter and a banana. Tip if you microwave the wraps 10-20 sec. it will hold it's shape better when you wrap it.

Hotdog wrapped in one of those Pillsbury cresent rolls. Cook it and then send it cold.

Salad

My kids love plain cheese and butter sandwiches! I buy different shape cookie cutters and cut them into shapes to "spice" up their lunches:) They also like "party mix" which is cheerios, mini marshmallows and mini M & M's or chocolate chips.

Love the great ideas everyone! Thanks:)

Where do you get a good thermos? And so do you eat the food in the morning and then stick it in the thermos? How does that work?

Where do you get a good thermos? And so do you eat the food in the morning and then stick it in the thermos? How does that work?

I'm a stickler for the "Thermos" brand only. You can get them in Target and even at your grocery store.

Put boiling water in the thermos and seal -- let it sit for a few minutes. We heat (think you meant "heat" not "eat" LOL) the food in the morning, and then put it in the hot thermos. Stays hot through lunch!

My key is having good food in the house and having DD make her lunch (she's 10). She puts in what she'll eat, and she has ownership over the food.

yes! Thanks for finding my typo, I did mean heat, not eat!

So boiling water, let it sit and then put the food in the thermos and the food stays warm until lunch - wow, i have been jipping my daughter's lunches for years by just making her eat sandwiches, the options will increase now that I know how to use a thermos, lol!

yes! Thanks for finding my typo, I did mean heat, not eat!

So boiling water, let it sit and then put the food in the thermos and the food stays warm until lunch - wow, i have been jipping my daughter's lunches for years by just making her eat sandwiches, the options will increase now that I know how to use a thermos, lol!

Yep. Leftovers, but also ravioli, spaghetti-o's, chicken noodle soup, etc.

They have wide-mouth soup thermoses (thermi?) which we love, rather than the tall ones for drinks.

I make wraps that I freeze ahead. DH & DD take their lunch everyday. Right now I have Black Bean wraps & Ham Salad wraps in the freezer. I also make Chicken Salad and Tuna Salad. I would be happy to post the ingredients if anyone is interested.

The trick is having a thermos. They sell really cute ones for kids at Target. (Bakugan, Star Wars, Hanna Montana,etc.) I've found that a lot of stress on "what to pack" got reduced when we finally got them thermoses. If I make spaghetti 1 night, they have it for leftovers the next day. If I make tacos for dinner, they have nachos (with the left over taco meat) or I stick a tortilla in the lunch box, with the meat, and shredded cheese and they make themselves a taco. Chicken nugs & chili are great in there.

One of my sons likes pasta salad, the other does not, but that is another idea, thermos not needed for that, just an ice pack. Do they like cold chicken? Will they eat a drumstick cold? Leftover pizza if they will eat it cold.

I can't agree you with you more about thermoses! They really are a Godsend! My son has taken everything from leftover spaghetti and meatballs to leftover tuna-noodle casserole in his thermos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter