ot- kidney stones

dana1003

DIS Veteran
was diagnosed with one about a mo nth ago and it still hasnt passed...anyones stories would help..not sure what to expect

Hi there

Not going to be much help as I haven't ever had any kidney stones but just wanted to say that I hope everything goes ok for you and to take care. I know its easier said then done but try not to worry too much.

:goodvibes

Louise

Kidney stones can be very painful.I was in the emergency room last Sunday morning-not pleasant!With any luck,your stone will be small and pass easily.Keep up the fluids,and beware of pain in your lower abdomen that then moves to your lower back.Don't hesitate to go the the ER if that occurs-it can be scary.Good luck!

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you have a kidney stone. I had my first one at the age of 12 and have had over 100 since then ( that is not a typo). It really all depends on the size of the stone and your pain tolerance as to what your experience will be. It could stay where it is for years and never cause you any problems or it could move tomorrow. Has it been causing you any pain? If it has I am not sure why your Dr. would not just use a holmium laser to break it up and help it pass easier. I will say that I avoid bumpy rides while I am at Disney because I don't want to jar one loose while I am there. I will be praying that you pass it soon so that you don't have to worry about it. Good Luck!

Hi,

I have had 4 kidney stones. Two of them required hospital stays (one required surgery). Two I passed at home. If you have found the stone before it is causing too much pain consider yourself lucky. The two I went to the hospital for caused me terrible pain. The last one... I could not even walk. The paramedics had to carry me down the stairs and out to the ambulance. I had never been in an ambulance before.:sad2:

Since you have found the stones before they are stuck consider yourself lucky. Drink Lots of water and move around. The most common place for them to get stuck is as they are coming out of the kidney or as they are going into the bladder. Your kidneys are about a hand width above your hip bone. So that is where you might feel the pain or in the small of your back. If the stone is truly stuck you will know it.:scared: It will not be a minor ache. It hurts! So if you are just having minor back pain you might be feeling the stone travelling. They have sharp edges and can scratch as they go down. You might even have blood in your urine. However... If you start to feel major pain call the Dr. or go to the emergency room. They will give you some pain meds and an IV to push the fluids.

Good luck! It is managable. Especially since you found them early. After this one passes you may want to talk to a urologist about why your body is making stones. Mine is mostly genetic but they have me on potassium citrate (concentrated lemon juice in a pill) and vitamin D to try and prevent them from forming. I hope everything goes well!!:flower3:

I had two stones that passed on their own. It took a while, and I did have some pain, but nothing excruciating.Hopefully you will have a similar outcome!

Oh I feel for you!! They are painful. I personally think they are worse then giving birth to my daughter all natural!!! Last summer I had surgery 2x for them. I have had them quite a few times since I was 16. Last one hit me as I was walking out of the MK on the last night. It was a very long night and I am lucky my husband is still married to me now!! I was in so much pain I was acting crazy. Luckily when I got on the plane the pain went away for awhile. Many times you get infections with the stones - don't hesitate to head to the ER. Drink lots of water - good luck to you, I hope it passess easily for you!! :hug:

ok 100???!!!! are u a human experiment or what?? lol i had the excrutiating pain , didnt know what it was, got to the er and had to wait 2 hours before they gave me morphine. thts when they finally told me it was a stone. the er doc told me it would pass that nite,its been over a month!! ive been having some dull pain in my kidney for about a week and have been taking aleeve. im just afraid of that pain coming back. i have percocet..will that help? i hope

No not an experiment, although as a child at a teaching hospital I sure felt like one. Be careful with the aleve, it can damage your kidney if taken for too long. Since you have been having some discomfort I would make an appointment with a urologist to make sure there isn't a blockage. You really don't want to take any chances with your kidney function. As far as the percocet goes I have never had any luck with medication taking the pain away.

I feel for you! Since it's been a month, you probably should see a urologist. I had one from April to July of last year. I ended up having surgery because of inflammation caused by the stone being present too long in the tube between the kidney and bladder. I hope things get resolved for you soon. Take care of yourself!

Hi,
Pretty much what everyone else says about them. Don't hesitate to go to E.R. if the pain becomes unbearable. They can get stuck and require surgical removal which is even more unpleasant than the stones themselves. I wish you much good luck and lots of prayers that this will pass in your life.
Bonnie

I've had several as well and if they gave you perc for them it will help tremendously! My 1st was when I was 26 weeks pg with my last child and I swore I was in labor 10x over, it was awful. They gave me diloted that time and send me home after a weekend of nothing. I passed out in a recliner and it finally passed when I got up. The rest I've been lucky enough to have percocet on hand for and when one kicks up I drink several large glasses of water, pop a perc (or 2) and pass out and usually when I wake they are about ready to pass. Fortunately mine move quickly IF I sleep and am totally relaxed (sleeping on an incline tends to help me as well). When I try to move on as normal and tolerate them they will stick around and cause loads of pain. I have 6 more in my right kidney we're waiting on, so far no movement this past year (knock on wood!)

Good luck and I hope yours moves on soon!

I had kidney stones while I was pregnant. I had this achy pain in my back at about 20 weeks that the docs were saying were muscle aches from all the stretching going on. Finally at 30 weeks the ache turned to pain and I went to the ER. They still told me it was muscle aches because they couldn't find it on the ultrasound. It took 4 weeks for it to pass.

Make sure you drink a TON of water. I thought I was drinking alot, but in hindsight, I know I wasn't. It may have passed quicker if I had drank more. I ened up with the same terrible pain on the other side at 36 weeks along, so I went back to the ER. They admitted me for a week, pumped me full of fluids until I blew up like a balloon!:scared1:My water broke, I delivered the baby (the epidural was a dream!! First time with no pain in weeks!) and did a CAT scan. Turned out I needed surgery. The stone was too big to pass. The fluids had pushed it as far as it would go and now it was lodged. Great!
It all worked out, thankfully. But it was no picnic!

I have 2 stones right now, small, just sitting there in my kidneys. One for each side! Yay! I drink a ton of water - I try to do at least 80 ounces a day, and drink lemonade and use lemon slices in my water. Hopefully they will just stay where they are and NEVER move!;)
I would recommend seeing a urologist. Once you pass the stone, they can analyze it to see what you need to do to try and prevent future stones.
Good Luck! It may seem like forever, but the stone will pass and you will feel so much better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter