OT: Just had new baby... someone "signed up" to bring meal and forgot - WWYD?

LittleDino

Mouseketeer
Hi!

Just had Baby #2 less than 2 weeks ago. Yay! My wonderful MOPS group arranged for meals to be brought over to us. Well, last night a meal was supposed to be delivered, but I'm guessing the lady who signed up must have completely forgotten about us. We were counting on a dinner that ended up being a no show, so I had to "scrounge" up a dinner for me, husband and 2 year old. No big deal - but it was kind of a let down. Do I say something to the MOPS meal coordinator? Let it go? Has this happened to any of you?

It may be my post-partum emotions getting the best of me, but I'm pretty disappointed (and hungry! ;) ).

WWYD?

You're assuming she forgot. There could be some other explanation. Maybe she ran into some problem that prohibited her from carrying out the meal preperation. I would give her the benefit of the doubt. Maybe inquire about her, just to make sure she and her family are ok. Then....if all is well, perhaps she simply forgot.

Also, don't make it a bigger deal than it needs to be. Just say thank you to the ones that remember and leave it at that.

Just my thoughts. Congrats on the new baby. What an adventure parenting is!

First of all - Congrats on the new bundle!! :goodvibes

I am sorry that they might have forgot you, or they might think they have a different day, and one night you will have 2 dinners instead of one.

I would have been disappointed if it were me too, but I would let it go. They signed up as a kind gesture, not a mandatory thing. It's a nice gesture that they are doing this for you, but I wouldn't depend on it.

This is coming from someone who had a baby 5 months ago. I was the 3rd woman at my work (a small group of people) to have a baby in about a 3 month time span. The first 2 got awesome showers. They received gifts, gift cards, food, etc. I probably gave $50 a piece toward gifts/money for them. There was another woman who had a baby about 6 months ahead of us, and dinners were sent to her house (from a place of her choosing) for at least 5 dinners (I think we sent food ever couple of weeks). I was supposed to have a shower (I helped plan it because they asked me what I wanted). It was all set up. It never happened. I never even got a card. I had to leave work early by a few weeks due to high blood pressure (they scheduled the shower when I was 37 weeks). I was extremely disappointed. But in the end I realized that it was not a requirement for them to give me anything, no matter how nice it would have been.

But in your case, I hope you end up with 2 meals on night because this person thought they had a different day!! :hug:

Oh no! I am so sorry.

As a former MOPS member (I don't attend anymore) I can tell you that things like that happen all the time.

Sometimes life gets in the way and things happen (let's hope your fellow MOPS friend & family is ok) and sometimes people just plain forget (they don't write it down, need a phone call reminder, etc).

Do you know this person? Is she close to you?

My advice would be that when your MOPS leader calls to check in and ask you how things are going you let her know about this. Why? Because your leader needs to know who is not reliable and who is so she can make different arrangements next time.

Congratulations on your new baby!!! What a joy & a blessing! :cheer2:

Honestly, I would just let it go. Honestly, life happens. It is so nice of those that offered to do it for you but I'm the type of person that always has a back up plan. I would always have some food in the house that could be cooked on short notice....pasta, pizza etc?

I would not "tell" on the person that forget. Even if the coordinator asks I would just say how appreciative I am of everyone that brought food and leave it at that.

Congratulations on your baby.

I'm assuming this is a group of mom's that get together and everyone signed up voluntarily??? If so I would let it go and not even worry about it. I understand you had a baby (and it takes some time to get used to, trust me I know, I have 2 young ones myself with a 3rd on the way), but millions of people have babies and still make dinner for their families. I don't think it is worth getting yourself all worked up over. They are helping you out by bringing you meals and you should just be grateful for the ones you receive, not upset because you didn't get one one night.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm letting it go. No sense feeling disappointed when I should be feeling over-joyed for my new little one. :goodvibes Guess I just needed to let out a little "vent." Now I'm moving on.

Have a great day everyone!

What would I do? Nothing.

Ditto. Be thankful for what you are getting because there are MANY of us who don't get/have any support from our families or friends after the birth of a child.

And congratulations!! It goes by very quickly, so treasure every moments!

I'm curious what Is MOPS? I wouldn't say anything. I would have been overjoyed if someone sent me a dinner. First night out of the hospital I was cooking my guys.

I honestly probably would just let it go. I wouldn't complain about a favor being done!

Thanks for all the replies! I'm letting it go. No sense feeling disappointed when I should be feeling over-joyed for my new little one. :goodvibes Guess I just needed to let out a little "vent." Now I'm moving on.

Have a great day everyone!

Oh just saw this, I think that is a great approach. Sometimes we just need to vent!

I wouldn't bother. You never know what exactly happened. Why couldn't your husband make dinner? or could you have called for take-out? When I was pregnant I made a weeks worth of frozen meals but DH cooked many meals those 12 weeks.

I wouldn't say anything. How nice that people have been cooking for you!

I had a c-section that opened up and only my neighbor brought a meal in the 1st week; I was cooking on day 7; having spent 5 days in the hospital.

That's so nice of that group of women! I'm sure she forgot; life happens.

Congrats on the new baby! :cloud9:

When I had the twins, my MOMS club arranged for meals to be brought to us three times a week for 2 1/2 months. Twice, members forgot, but I didn't say anything. I was just so grateful for the meals we did get and blessed to have just wonderful friends.

I'm thinking I should have joined a mom's club. I don't even think dh cooked for me after the babies were born :laughing:

Congrats on the new baby!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter