OT - Jersey DISers - anyone ever been to the aquarium in Camden?

We've been there twice this year. Both times with DH's extended family -- kids were 3, 2, 10 mos and 4 mos and they all loved it. Loved it so much that the in-laws bought an annual pass. It's not over the top spectacular, but is a nice way to spend the day. The layout is a little awkward, but we managed just fine. Touch tanks are great. Loved the outside exhibits and the hippos.

Thank you to everyone who replied. :thanks: I think we'll give it a try. The Maritime Aquarium in CT looks very nice, but Camden is definitely closer.

Sylvia

disneysteve said:
I feel some need to defend Camden. Never thought I'd be saying that. :teeth: Yes, Camden was named America's most dangerous city, but like many cities, there are good sections and there are bad sections. They have done a very good job of cleaning up the waterfront area: the aquarium, the battleship, the Tweeter center (open air concert arena), Campbell's field (minor league ball park). Should you go wandering around town - no. But the same could be said for wandering parts of NYC, Washington, DC, Philly, etc.

Steve I hope I didn't offend. The only safe place we found in Camden was the waterfront.(all the things you mention are in that area I think- not sure about the Tweeter center.) But I think the difference between Camden and other cities is that it is the reverse- ONE area that is ok= the rest of the city scary. Even driving to the Aquarium if you go the wrong way you can be in a not so great place. The unemployment rate in Camden is so high that people don't have the income to even just get by. But still not a place I would want to take a stroll down main street. And if I am missing some nice area there tell me because we do head into the aquarium and even tried to pump money into their city economy by eating someplace in Camden- but we had no luck. The place we ate at closed the next time we came into town. ANd don't get me wrong we still go into Camden.(Hey I am from NY it is not THAT scary :rotfl2: )

java said:
Steve I hope I didn't offend. The only safe place we found in Camden was the waterfront.

Even driving to the Aquarium if you go the wrong way you can be in a not so great place. The unemployment rate in Camden is so high that people don't have the income to even just get by.

And if I am missing some nice area there tell me because we do head into the aquarium and even tried to pump money into their city economy by eating someplace in Camden- but we had no luck.
No offfense taken. Camden is the poorest city in the state of NJ and, as I mentioned, was voted most dangerous city in America. It isn't somewhere you want to go wandering. I just think it is unfortunate when people pass up the good things just because they are located in Camden. The aquarium is fun. The Camden Riversharks baseball team is great. We love going to games - so much cheaper and more enjoyable than a major league game across the river. The Tweeter Center is a top spot on the major concert tours.

Trust me. I work in Camden. I'm well aware of the financial struggles. I think median income is about 23K or so.

As for where in Camden you could spend money outside of the tourist attractions, that's a tough one. There are one or two decent restaurants, but honestly I would refer anyone looking for great eats to drive a little out of Camden to Collingswood which has had a tremendous restaurant renaissance in recent years and now boasts numerous top-rated spots.

tink_n_pooh said:
I haven't been there in quite a few years but I would also consider that it is in Camden. I don't really know where you are from but if you are going to go through the hassle to go to Camden there are probably better places to check out, like Liberty Science Center. Or go into Philly or Baltimore. I think the aquarium in Camden would be a more enjoyable trip if it weren't in Camden. Just MHO.

Besides being closed for renovations, the science center is about 2 hrs from Camden in North Jersey not South. I am in the camp that the aquarium is ok but not spectacular. For us it was a nice afternoon activity on a rainy day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter