OT- I'm sooo terribly sad right now....

stitchlovestink

DIS Veteran
Our beloved little chinchilla, Crystal, died this morning. I don't have any idea what happened to her. She was fine last night when we went to bed. Sometimes she sleeps on her side, but today when I went to feed her at lunchtime, she was gone. Both of my DD's are heart broken, we had her for 7 yrs and she was almost 1 when we got her. Her cage is in my kitchen and I can't bear to go in there again until DH comes home from work and can give her a proper burial. I'm soo sad. She had such a wonderful personality. Chinchillas are not usually friendly or social. Most tend to be skiddish, but not Crystal. She would hang on the side of the cage waiting for you to pay attention to her. I'm going to miss her so much. :sad1:

I am so very sorry for your loss. I know what you are going through.

Much sympathy! Wishing you happy memories of Crystal!

I'm so sorry for your loss! My sweet chinchilla, Chile, died in my arms about 7 years ago. I still miss him! It's so hard to lose our beloved pets! God Bless!

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your pet. I know I would be a basketcase if and when something happens to my cat.

I'm so sorry about Crystal.

We were at WDW two years ago when our house sitter called to tell us our much loved Lhasa had died suddenly. It was horrible to be so far from home at that time - and to feel so helpless and hurting. The people of the Disboards reached out and helped us SO very much. Any owner of a beloved pet knows the pain of its loss, but the people on these boards are special at reaching out to touch and help. I hope we can help you, too, at this time. I really am SO sorry for your loss.

DisFlan

I'm really sorry. I still feel sad when I think about my cat's death and that was a few years ago. You are not alone and I'm sorry for Crystal - it sounds like she was a wonderful pet.

I too am very sorry for the loss of your families much beloved pet.
I personally do not do as well,when it comes to dealing with these events, as some can.
I am still working on losing weight that I had gained many years ago, when my horse died, he was my first, and my second had to be put to sleep over two years ago now, in both cases it made me feel like dying, so I can understand your feelings. Over the years, I have had to say good bye as well to cats,rabbits, birds, fish, dogs,hamsters.
It is a simple fact of life, that I always have to remind myself of, that people normally live much longer, in comparison to many pets. Parrots, can live to be a hundred years old, which is why some people will include their parrot in their will, seriously. When my grandmother died, her parrot went to one of my uncles, then when he passed, she went to live with my cousin.

Awww, I am sorry to hear that. It is so hard to lose a pet. :hug:

Well, the interment is over. :sad1: I picked out a lovely spot under the flowering tree in our backyard. It's just so sad. No one wants to go into the kitchen (that's where her cage is) let alone eat dinner in there. right now the kitchen is a wreck. Everyone runs in to get only what they need and then leaves. The dishwasher needs emptying and reloading, the counters need decluttering/wiping down. But I just don't have it inside myself to do anything in there right now.
DH was very sympathetic to the situation. DD15 is sad and has cried but seems to be dealing w/ it in an okay type of way. DD12 is VERY VERY SAD. Lots of tears, bellyache, etc... already worried about going to school tomorrow. ...
And our poor dog, she knows something is wrong and Crystal's cage is empty. Our dog is a 9 yr old English cocker spaniel named Amber. She hasn't eaten all day. Her food/water are right next to the cage. I'm hesitant to move it as it has never been anywhere else. Maybe I'm dreaming this, but it seems like the dog is in 'mourning'. I could understand this if they were playmates or something, but Amber has always acted kind of skiddish around Crystal.
DH has told me to keep her cage. Maybe we'll want another one. I know already that I do. But I need time. I need the time to mourn and accept her passing...not a replacement. I need the time to dedicate to making this one as hand tame as Crystal was. I don't want a replacement, but I want to be able to hold her.
I've 'lost' 2 dogs in the past. So I know this too, shall pass. And eventually, I will have fond memories of her and be able to remember her and smile, not cry. :( But, I'm not there yet. It is early. I just pray that she went quickly and did not suffer. She didn't deserve to suffer.
Dearest Crystal, may you rest in peace and live forever in Chinchilla Heaven.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughtfulness.

I realize this is only a pet. Maybe right now I am extremely sensitive to the death element as I have come VERY close to losing my own mother w/in the last year to cancer. By the Grace of God, she is still w/ us and doing well now. I'm not comparing the two, but maybe I am experiencing a heightened sense of the finality of death at this point in my life. Thank you for letting me share my sorrows..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter