OT-how to prepare for visit from 2 year old niece??

IvyandLace

Certified pixie dust user
This may not be the best place to post this question, but it does have a "budget" side. My sister & brother-in-law are flying in to visit in a few weeks and will be bringing their only child, my niece who is almost 19 months old. We are a very close knit family and visit each other often even though we live several states apart. The last time that my niece was at my home was last Thanksgiving...and she was not very mobile at that time. Now is a whole other story!! They will be at our home for a few days, and then we will then head to a nearby NC beach for a family vacation (we try to do this every year).

So, my question is this: to what extent do I need to prepare for niece?? My husband and I do not have any children so I'm a bit nervous about child-proofing things. I am planning on getting outlet covers but am not sure what other preparing I need to do around the house. We do not have stairs (live in a ranch home) and basically have carpet. We do not own any expensive furniture or have lots of knick-knacks that she can get into.

What about toys? Any suggestions on some budget toys or toys that will grow with her for future visits?? (Yes, I do have bubbles!) I wouldn't mind picking up a few things for her to play with when she arrives. We do have a pool so niece will be swimming ALOT (she loves the water). I have a life jacket for her to wear when she is in the water.

Thanks for some direction in this matter...just trying to make a good visit for all involved!! :)
IVY

Put up any pricey knick knacks you don't want broken. Some kids are into everything and others aren't too bad. Outlet covers are an inexpensive procaution. Watch her around the pool, that was my big thing when we visited DH's family in FL... they had a pool so she never left my sight.

How about some simple toys, like a little Lego set, a wooden puzzle, a baby doll, or Barbie doll, with a couple of accessories?

My sister is the only family member who would really prepare her house when we visited with our daughters. I would never expect anyone to do it, but this is just one reason she's my best friend, also.

It is a little different when they are just visiting than living there, when visiting usually there are a lot of people watching them so you don't have to be as diligent as if they would be there alone like when you go to the BR.

Just get down on your knees and look around. What looks intriguing. do you have any medications low that could be grabbed quick while everyone is talking. Dangerous cleaning stuff under the sink that she could get into in a flash again while everyone is in the LR yacking.

Toys that can be left and grow, I have a lot of experience with this cause we live 18 hrs from family so we did a lot of visiting with family after flying in.

Books
play dishes
play food
blocks
duplo's
chalk for outside
something to ride on big wheel,small tike bike, bigger bike from garage sale when they get older
playground size ball-my DD had a Pocahontas one!
doll,doll bed
as they get a bit older crayons, coloring books, art stuff
play doh
get the Mc D's kids toys all year and have them
kids movies, shows

Just watch the yard sales.

Do you have any friends with small children? When our nephew visited at about 18 months the neighbors with several boys brought over a few toys for him to play with while there. It was so nice of them and we hadn't even asked!

A ball, heck my daughter loved playing with my pots and pans at that age. A collender (I tried 4 different times and gave up the spelling!) was a hat and a chair!

You should prolly move all the cleaning products and other nasty stuff out from underneath your kitchen sink. If you cant do that then tie the handles together so she cant open the doors and get into it. I would move the breakables to higher ground or store them away. Anything really specially should just be stored away from where she can get at it. Tie the cords to the blinds up and out of the way. I wouldnt go crazy buying toys. Her parents will prolly bring a few things to keep her amused. If I were to buy one toy I would get a set of plastic stacking cups b/c they dont take up much storage space and kids find all kinds of ways to play with them as they grow.

I thought back to when my own dd was that age and we traveled....

Is she potty trained? If not provide a trash can and maybe some "plastic bags" for her parents to put diapers in. Make sure there is a lid on the trash can. I know I always hated being at people's home and wondering were to put the dirty diapers.

Also make sure you have kid snacks- ask what she likes. You don't need a ton but a few frozen waffles, juice boxes, bananas and gold fish would have helped us out when our dd was hungry and cranky!

Wow! Once again, the budget-eers do not disappoint! Thanks for all of the advice posted! I did not even think about providing a trash can for the diapers...that's why I came to y'all! :)

Thanks again! IVY

You mentioned a pool, that might be your # safety concern. Be sure all locks outside are secure. Look for cords that she could pull and topple over lamps, TV's etc. Put up all meds, cleaners, adult drinks etc. Maybe have some diapers, wipes etc to keep parents from having to travel with as much. Sippy cups and child friendly dishes are nice. Maybe having some of the baby bath products??

Toys??- Remember to check for choking hazards. Watch for under three toys only. Any toy that can go though a tolet paper roll is not ok.

Juice and kid friendly snacks???

My 2 yr old granddaughter just spent a week with us.
A book I found for Toddlers that you had to find things in (think Where's Waldo)
The one I had was from the Disney Store and was of things from Mickey MouseClub House on TV. She would do it over and over and over with me.
Also we had made a CD for the car that had on it Elmo's Song, Mickey Mouse March, C is for Cookie, Rubber Duckie, Happy Tappin with Elmo, a couple of Barney songs, etc. She LOVED this!

Also I had a couple of plastic sand pails that she loved to load up with many things and haul them around with her.

There is some great advice already mentioned. Washable crayons and some paper will go a long way. So will a paint brush and a small amount of water--DD would "paint" the driveway, we would admire the picture and then it would be gone. She loved it, no mess to clean up. Sidewalk chalk is good, too. A good size play ball is fun, and a couple of clean cardboard boxes.

I like sippy cups more than juice box--one squeeze and the juice can be everywhere. Plastic dinnerware or paper plates can make things easier on the parents, too.

Watch the pool. Lock all the doors leading out to the pool. If you have a dog door, lock that...it is so much better to be safe than sorry. Don't leave toys in the pool--you don't want her to reach for a toy and fall in. Kids that age move FAST. If at any point your niece is out of sight, check the pool FIRST. Then relock the doors and check the house.

One thing my DD LOVED to play with at that time was a pad of post-it notes:lmao:

An old sheet can make a great tent - somewhere.

I would be careful about legos at that age - my DD loved to put that stuff in her mouth - but duplos are great, and are the "littler kid" verson of Legos.

I really wouldn't worry about getting too many toys at that age. Maybe check out some kiddy books from the library for the duration of the visit. If your library has a cd section - maybe there are some kid-themed cd's you could check out.

You should prolly move all the cleaning products and other nasty stuff out from underneath your kitchen sink. If you cant do that then tie the handles together so she cant open the doors and get into it. I would move the breakables to higher ground or store them away. Anything really specially should just be stored away from where she can get at it. Tie the cords to the blinds up and out of the way. I wouldnt go crazy buying toys. Her parents will prolly bring a few things to keep her amused. If I were to buy one toy I would get a set of plastic stacking cups b/c they dont take up much storage space and kids find all kinds of ways to play with them as they grow.

I agree with this. In addition, also clean out the bathroom from anything that she can get in to. Also, if she is a climber, watch any tall book cases. If they aren't anchored to the wall, just make sure she is not left alone with the book case, or anything tall that can tip over. Hide all breakables, not only for your protection against them breaking but you don't want them to break and hurt her. And hide scissors and medicine.

We took our son to my mother-in law's house when he was about 21 months old. She didn't do any precautions and we spent the entire time on pins and needles chasing after our son and worrying. It's great that you are willing to baby proof for your family members.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter