OT: Hershey Park

njmomtoone

Mouseketeer
We are going to Hershey Park for the first time this weekend with another family. There will be three boys 12, 12 and 10. We are stying over the night before in Lancaster and plan on being at the park for the 10AM opening. HOw much before 10 should we get there?

Since thi sis our first time, what is the best plan for the park? Park first? Water part later?

Any help wpuld be appreciated.

We love HP, but going on a weekend in July is like going to WDW Christmas week. Just want to give a heads-up, because a lot of people do this, and then complain about how hot and crowded it was.

If you want to do the waterpark, do it first thing, or else it will be packed-packed. We usually start in the back of the park, maybe stopping for some of the headliners on the way. They have some great coasters at HP.

We get coupons, and use them to buy our tickets the night before, and take advantage of the free preview the night before. They won't let you take food/drink in, although we usually smuggle a couple of water bottles. At the end of the day, we do Chocolate World. We always do the 3D movie - expensive for what it is, but my kids love it, in all of it's cheesyness.

Food is expensive - we found the best bet with the pizza at the back of the park (I think by the waterpark). Just be prepared for long lines for everything!

YIKES! It's going to be crowded! No matter when you go you are going to hit lines.

In all the times we have gone we have never done the water park- so I can't comment on that other than to say it was so crowded the last time we were there we were glad we weren't doing it. Are you getting the preview day type ticket? If so I would be thinking of doing the water park the night before. What time does it close? I don't even know?

Well have fun and be prepared for crowds and lots of hilly walking. It blows disney away on the walking imho- up and down hills.

I would do the big coasters first- look at them and decide which are must do for your group. Then hit those first.

The reeses game ride thing is billed as Buzz Lightyearish- but it really isn't much - like maybe a 30 second ride- so my point is unless there is no line this is easily skippable.

And yes food is crazy expensive. That's why many people leave the park to eat at the local I think it's a Red Robin? Our lunch was over $100 for hot dogs and sodas for the 6 of us!

oh and glad to hear about the 3d movie- we've always skipped it- might be fun for a trip to do just Chocolate world in the off season.

From Lancaster you have a 30-45 min ride depending on where you are staying. IF you want to be there and at the gate before 10, parking and a long walk to the gate I would leave an hour before to be safe. They have bathrooms right before and right after the gate so the boys can get ready becasue the "good" coasters all have a line nif you are not one of the first ones.

Have a Great time and dont forget to pack your suits since they have a neat water area inside of the park. Also a small zoo to walk and cool off in when the heat gets too you (LOTS of hills to walk). Also dont forget the seal/sealion (?)and dolphin show!

HP Season Pass holders :goodvibes

We go to Hershey all the time... and yes it's going to be wall-to-wall people while you're there.

The biggest question is whether or not your three teens are thrill-seekers. If no coaster is too big or fast, hang a left at the carousel and make Fahrenheit your first stop - it's a newer coaster and will be crowded. If you really are one of the first people in the park, head for Sky Rush which is brand new this year.

I would definitely double-back to do the Reese's ride eventually - I love those competitive rides with the laser gun targets.

If you continue past the Fahrenheit, you'll be right into the water park and I agree, the earlier the better as it'll be packed in the late afternoon. I can't recall if there are two locker purchase areas, but the one I do remember is by the Coal Cracker ride - the larger lockers sell out fast because it's cheaper than renting two small ones - so snag one fast.

There are some fun water rides. There is one in the back of the water area that is essentially a water coaster - four seats per car and people can shoot you with water guns from below and you get one chance to release water on park goers.... but the line for this ride is ridiculous given the car / people ratio, we've been on it one time in all our visits. So downplay that one if you can.

We also enjoy the zoo - it's a nice break from the park, and a cooler, shady area. But some very steep walkways.

Our coaster favs (in order, no Sky Rush, we haven't tried it yet):
Storm Runner
Fahrenheit
Superdooperlooper (it's a classic)
Great Bear
Lightening Racer
Trailblazer (a very mild smooth ride good for nervous riders)
Wild Mouse

Ones we skip because we think they toss around to the point of it not being fun or are just not worth the wait:
Wildcat
Comet
Roller Soaker
Sidewinder

Hope this helps! And don't forget to do the Chocolate Ride before you leave - it's in the building before the entrance - skip it in the morning, it's never very busy and runs constantly. But everyone gets a little chocolate treat afterward!

Oh, one more hint, getting there early will help with the entrance when the gates open. People with tickets to the right, people purchasing tickets to the left - initially, anyway - they start moving the left people to the right as it lightens. If you already have your tickets, stay as far to the right as possibly, it seems to go faster because of extra entry stalls on the right. It's really bedlam though, just one big mob along a narrow winding street of shops. They also have pillars before this line area with a candy bar on each representing height restrictions - I believe they hand out wristbands there in the morning for kids so they don't have to be measured all day.

We love HP, but going on a weekend in July is like going to WDW Christmas week. Just want to give a heads-up, because a lot of people do this, and then complain about how hot and crowded it was.

If you want to do the waterpark, do it first thing, or else it will be packed-packed. We usually start in the back of the park, maybe stopping for some of the headliners on the way. They have some great coasters at HP.

We get coupons, and use them to buy our tickets the night before, and take advantage of the free preview the night before. They won't let you take food/drink in, although we usually smuggle a couple of water bottles. At the end of the day, we do Chocolate World. We always do the 3D movie - expensive for what it is, but my kids love it, in all of it's cheesyness.

Food is expensive - we found the best bet with the pizza at the back of the park (I think by the waterpark). Just be prepared for long lines for everything!

You can take in one, unopened, bottle of water for each person.

From Lancaster you have a 30-45 min ride depending on where you are staying. IF you want to be there and at the gate before 10, parking and a long walk to the gate I would leave an hour before to be safe. They have bathrooms right before and right after the gate so the boys can get ready becasue the "good" coasters all have a line nif you are not one of the first ones.

Have a Great time and dont forget to pack your suits since they have a neat water area inside of the park. Also a small zoo to walk and cool off in when the heat gets too you (LOTS of hills to walk). Also dont forget the seal/sealion (?)and dolphin show!HP Season Pass holders :goodvibes

I don't know when you were at HP last, but there hasn't been a dolphin show for at least a few years- only the sea lions now.

OP, if you want to beat the crowds, you need to get to the park by at least 9:15 or earlier. It will take you at least 15 mins to get in the park, pay for parking, find a parking spot and walk the mile to the front gate. Most people start lining up at 9:00am. Also, if you already have your tickets make sure you go to the far right turnstile- it is always the least busy.

From Lancaster, depending on what part of town you are staying in, it will take you a good 45 mins to get to Hershey. Traffic getting into the park can get very backed up, so figure on another 15 mins to get from Hersheypark Drive just to the entrance. There are only 2 ways in- a North entrance and a South entrance and they both form into 3 lanes.

Once you get into the park, you have two choices. Choice One, you go straight to the Boardwalk (waterpark) and skip everything else on the way. Once there, grab a few seats and plop down your stuff. You will want to do the Coastline Plunge rides first- they get the biggest lines. Second is the lazy river, and then the Rollar Soaker. After your fill of the waterpark, head out of the Boardwalk and make a left and do Fahrenheit, Sky Rush and Sotrm Runner first. Those are the 3 major rides with the longest lines. The Great Bear, Racers, Sidewinder, Wildcat and Comet have shorter lines. Do the coasters first and then the other minor rides.

Your second choice (and probably the best for the boys) would be to hit the major coasters first. You will have to decide which is more important to you- the SkyRush (Hollow) or Fahrenheit (in Midway America) and then get in line for one of those first thing. After hitting both of those, head to Stormrunner and then The SideWinder (right beside each other and both in Pioneer Frontier). Greatbear is in Minetown and is an easy walk from the Hollow.

We are season pass holders and live in Hershey and are at the park at least 3-5 times a week. We have our own way of touring depending on the crowds, so if you want a more detailed plan let me know and I can tell you what we do.

As others have said, HP is very hilly and requires alot of walking and backtracking to hit the major rides before the crowds get overwhelming. The best place for food is in Pioneer Frontier. We usually hit up Subway as it is the cheapest, but we also enjoy the Wurstburg Grill.

Best thing to do is look at the park map online first and highlight what is a must do and work around that. Try to get everything done in each section before you move on to save on walking. Parking is $12 for non season pass holders, so have your money ready when you pull up and it will speed up your entrance.

Did you get your tickets yet? If not on the Hershey park web site under tickets then hit discounts is a coupon for 15 off a adult ticket you must print it off and bring to park can't do it on line

Also check how much Giant Food Stores are selling ticket for. They often have a discount.

Be sure to rent a locker at the water park and put any valuables in there. 2 summers ago we were there with friends and my friend's beach bag was stolen. Security found her bag in a garbage can contents gone.

Ditto to the one sealed water bottle per person. We always do this.

I disagree with the water park in the morning unless its the most important thing as we prefer it to get through the heat of the day (where we'd return to the room at Disney). If you are staying overnight, definitely take advantage of the preview plan (where you can go in the evening before for free).

Just like Disney, arrive before park opening, big rides first (aka the new coaster). Wait until afternoon for shows and water, and hit rides again in the evening. The pool does get crowded, but I'd rather have fewer lines for the coasters than the water slides.

Another thing to do in the heat of the day is walk over to chocolate world. You can eat there too for lunch and its nice and cool!

I just returned from Hershey park this past weekend. If you havent gotten your tickets yet here is an idea I learned from others on the DIS boards. You can purchase a discount code for your tickets on EBAY for $1.95. The tickets will cost only $29.00 a piece and they are legit. I purchased 15 of them last week. We chose to pay the $20 fee instead of the $12 to get into the preferred/handicapped parking lot...it was MUCH closer to the entrance!!!! Definitely hit the BIG coasters first if the boys are thrill seekers. And there are lots of hills, so wear comfortable sneakers!

I don't know when you were at HP last, but there hasn't been a dolphin show for at least a few years- only the sea lions now.

OP, if you want to beat the crowds, you need to get to the park by at least 9:15 or earlier. It will take you at least 15 mins to get in the park, pay for parking, find a parking spot and walk the mile to the front gate. Most people start lining up at 9:00am. Also, if you already have your tickets make sure you go to the far right turnstile- it is always the least busy.

From Lancaster, depending on what part of town you are staying in, it will take you a good 45 mins to get to Hershey. Traffic getting into the park can get very backed up, so figure on another 15 mins to get from Hersheypark Drive just to the entrance. There are only 2 ways in- a North entrance and a South entrance and they both form into 3 lanes.

Once you get into the park, you have two choices. Choice One, you go straight to the Boardwalk (waterpark) and skip everything else on the way. Once there, grab a few seats and plop down your stuff. You will want to do the Coastline Plunge rides first- they get the biggest lines. Second is the lazy river, and then the Rollar Soaker. After your fill of the waterpark, head out of the Boardwalk and make a left and do Fahrenheit, Sky Rush and Sotrm Runner first. Those are the 3 major rides with the longest lines. The Great Bear, Racers, Sidewinder, Wildcat and Comet have shorter lines. Do the coasters first and then the other minor rides.

Your second choice (and probably the best for the boys) would be to hit the major coasters first. You will have to decide which is more important to you- the SkyRush (Hollow) or Fahrenheit (in Midway America) and then get in line for one of those first thing. After hitting both of those, head to Stormrunner and then The SideWinder (right beside each other and both in Pioneer Frontier). Greatbear is in Minetown and is an easy walk from the Hollow.

We are season pass holders and live in Hershey and are at the park at least 3-5 times a week. We have our own way of touring depending on the crowds, so if you want a more detailed plan let me know and I can tell you what we do.

As others have said, HP is very hilly and requires alot of walking and backtracking to hit the major rides before the crowds get overwhelming. The best place for food is in Pioneer Frontier. We usually hit up Subway as it is the cheapest, but we also enjoy the Wurstburg Grill.

Best thing to do is look at the park map online first and highlight what is a must do and work around that. Try to get everything done in each section before you move on to save on walking. Parking is $12 for non season pass holders, so have your money ready when you pull up and it will speed up your entrance.

Did you get a PM from me. I don't see it in my sent folder.

Evenings are usually empty, and its like getting 1.5 days for the price of 1

Purchase a regular full-day admission ticket for tomorrow, 2-1/2* hours prior to Park closing, and be our guest FREE for the remainder of that evening. (*3-1/2 hours for 11 pm closing)
6 PM Closing Admission after 3:30 PM
8 PM Closing Admission after 5:30 PM
10 & 11 PM Closing Admission after 7:30 PM

A SWEET way to maximize your visit. All single or multi-day tickets (including online, group, Giant, AAA, etc) qualify for this plan! Just present your ticket at the gate after 7:30 PM and enjoy all of the rides and shows all night long! (Not valid on Sunset, Consecutive Day or Concert Special Admission)

The Prophet

another helpful hint - any vendor will give you a cup of water with or without ice for free. You just have to ask. Saves $3/bottle and saves carrying around bottles all day long. Enjoy your trip.

We JUST got back from Hershey. We had early access for staying at the Lodge so our preview started at 6:30 pm vs. 7:30 and our early entry was 9 am. Here is what I noticed

On the day we arrived at 8:40 for a 9:00 early opening for resort guests, line was small. Seems as though many don't take too much advantage of this great perk. By 8:50 somewhat decent line for early entry. Nothing crazy. HOWEVER another long line was forming to which that was the general public arriving at 8:40 for a 10 am opening!!!That was crazy but apparently they do that...

Sidenote - the new coaster, skyrush, is a killer on the legs. I actually let guest services know that DD13 (small thing, not quite 5 feet and 80 pounds) was fighting off tears after the ride her legs hurt so bad, a crushing effect as she was in the side seat on the coaster. DH was on the other side seat and said yes pretty crushing but he was obviously fine. Guest services said it is a huge complaint and they are going to rework the restraint system on theride. So FYI!!!

Sidenote - the new coaster, skyrush, is a killer on the legs. I actually let guest services know that DD13 (small thing, not quite 5 feet and 80 pounds) was fighting off tears after the ride her legs hurt so bad, a crushing effect as she was in the side seat on the coaster. DH was on the other side seat and said yes pretty crushing but he was obviously fine. Guest services said it is a huge complaint and they are going to rework the restraint system on theride. So FYI!!!

My boss went a few weeks ago and told me that skyrush was the first coaster he ever screamed on.....and it wasn't because it was thrilling. He also recommended a change to the restraints.

My boss went a few weeks ago and told me that skyrush was the first coaster he ever screamed on.....and it wasn't because it was thrilling. He also recommended a change to the restraints.

Is it the restraint that's pushing on the legs that causes the problem?

From what my family has said its the anti G force. You feel like you are coming completely out of your seat and there is only a lap bar holding you in. They loved the ride, but not the painful legs! I loved the bench near the exit:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter