OT- help naming daughter!OT update 98 and now 170!

Savannah and Sierra are both pretty names. Savannah is definitely more popular. There are 3 babies in my mom's group with that name. If Rose gets shot down, what about another flower, like Lily? (That was my second choice for our daughter's name...actually, it probably would have won if it wasn't so popular!)

Savannah is definitely VERY common here - way more than Layla. I like it a lot better than Sierra (I don't think this compliments Scarlett (which I love!) at all...).

Just be careful locking yourself into 1 letter for names - if you decide to have a third child and don't want to continue it - that kid might feel a little left out...

I love Savannah Grace!! Savannah Rose is also very pretty.

I can't really think of any nicknames for Savannah, so I wouldn't be concerned about that. If one develops over time I'm sure it will be because it fits her personality and won't seem nearly as annoying then :)

I like both Sierra and Savannah. Flip a coin??? I know a sweet little girl named Savannah and she is now called Savvy all the time. But her parents call her that. I have 3 sons with very easy to shorten to nicknames. Jacob, Nathan and Matthew. They all still go by the long name and they are 18,16,13. Some people do shorten them, but in general it doesn't happen. We've even moved several times, so new people, new schools, and we've still managed to keep the long names.

Congratulations! And I love the name Scarlet!

Well I am just about 39 weeks, so any day now! Of-course we still havent decided on a name!! I really appreciate all your suggestions and thoughts! At this point my husband really likes Savannah and I really like Sierra. He doesn't really like Sierrra, says it sounds too weird! I am trying to sway him, but we will see. I do like Savannah, but am most concerned about people giving her a nickname, which I would not like. Also, it seems very common, which I dont like that either.

Okay, remembering her sisters name is Scarlett Kaya, which name Savannah or Sierra would you choose? We are thinking about Savannah Rose or Sierra Rose, but my husbands neice has rose as her middle name, so now he may be against that! Why are husbands so difficult! What are your thoughts? I elminated Summer because it just doesn't have the same effect as Scarlett and Layla was also eliminated due to being very common! Please help, we dont have much time left! Thanks!

I don't think you can go wrong with either! I love them both! Around here, Savannah and Sierra are not unusual, but they are not over-used either. DD is 7 and has had 2 friends named Savannah and 1 named Sierra. They are all great kids too, so I associate that name with good things. Of course, I guess how common their are depends on your location, I've never known a kid named Layla around here. (I do know one 30 year old named Layla and one 65 year old named Layla!) The kids are only 7, but so far nobody has called Savannah anything shorter. I'd keep Rose too- it's a middle name so no one will use it much anyway. My friend's 3 sons all have the same middle name because it is a family name and a tradition with them. I think just about every boy in their family has that middle name!

Say them out loud. Scarlett and Savannah.

Does it sound like Scarlett O'Hara to anyone else? Not exactly, but imagine it in a full room.

Savannah + Sierra = Sianna or Saverra? LOL :upsidedow

My mother-in-law calls me Savarah all the time. :rotfl: She is so used to talking to my niece, Savannah, that when we come into town to visit, she starts off with her name but changes to mine midway through! My name is Sarah. :goodvibes

Hi I don't post often but had to reply. With four children thinking up baby names took up a fair chunk of my time when I was younger. My three oldest children were born with bright red hair and one of the names we really wanted was Sedona. Sedona is a beautiful place in Arizona known for its red rocks and awesome sunsets, so it really has an association with the color red without being obvious.

So I don't know if its been suggested yet as I hadn't read all the replies but here's my little plug for Sedona Rose.

Congratulations no matter what you decide.

I mentioned up thread ~ Savannah and Scarlett together are too Gone With the Wind to me...
I agree.

I like Sierra. I think Sienna (as mentioned by someone else) matched with Scarlett is too "pigment/color" to me. There is a girl on my DD's swim team named Sienna and I have stumbled over her name all season. I keep on wanting to call her Sierra:lmao:.

We also made a monogram error with #1 - SOG. We kept this in mind with the 2nd - I wanted Ella Grace, but with a last name that starts with "G", her initials would have been EGG. NOPE!!! I racked my brain trying to find a name I liked were we could still use "Ella" - so she became Gabriella Grace. GGG. /QUOTE]

Hey, my daughter resembles this remark LOL I wanted Grace for a middle name (loved the name and meaning, plus it was my grandmother's name), and dh and I finally agreed on Emily as a first name...that meant her initials would be EGG. I agonized over this, but ultimately went with it.

The really funny thing is that now as a 12 year old middle schooler, she loves her initials - who saw that coming? A few friends use it as a nickname on the sportfield and she uses it as a user name on occasion.

I think that is part of the crazy part about picking names. As parents we take the task so seriously (for good reason), but ultimately each child makes the name his or her own.

I think both Savannah and Sierra are really lovely. I personally would lean more in the Sierra direction with a Scarlett sister but it is a close call.

We also made a monogram error with #1 - SOG. We kept this in mind with the 2nd - I wanted Ella Grace, but with a last name that starts with "G", her initials would have been EGG. NOPE!!! I racked my brain trying to find a name I liked were we could still use "Ella" - so she became Gabriella Grace. GGG. /QUOTE]

Hey, my daughter resembles this remark LOL I wanted Grace for a middle name (loved the name and meaning, plus it was my grandmother's name), and dh and I finally agreed on Emily as a first name...that meant her initials would be EGG. I agonized over this, but ultimately went with it.

The really funny thing is that now as a 12 year old middle schooler, she loves her initials - who saw that coming? A few friends use it as a nickname on the sportfield and she uses it as a user name on occasion.

I think that is part of the crazy part about picking names. As parents we take the task so seriously (for good reason), but ultimately each child makes the name his or her own.

I think both Savannah and Sierra are really lovely. I personally would lean more in the Sierra direction with a Scarlett sister but it is a close call.

I have a niece with the initials of EGG. Her two brothers are BAG and DOG. :rotfl2:

I Love the name Savannah!!! My daughter was going to be Savannah Grace or Savannah Brooke!!!! I don't know any girls with the name Savannah, that has a nickname or her name is shortened. I really like Sierra too. Good Luck!!

I love the name Sierra. Savannah, I think is more popular. My sons kindergarten teachers daughter is named Sienna. I like that too. What about Sadie?

To vote between Savannah and Sierra, I'd choose Savannah. It has an overall connotation of old-world class and sophistication, and a beautiful little girl wearing gorgeous sundresses with long flowing hair pulled into pigtails at the crown. :lmao:

I'm not sure what nicknames you're concerned about. I guess the name could be shortened to Sav, Savvy, Vanna, Vanny. You'll get used to any of those, even if you don't like them now. My DD's name is Jocelyn and I was deadset against shortening her name to Joce (pronounced Joss) or Jocie (Jossy), but they grew on me very rapidly once others started using them and she responded. ;)

I absolutely agree. Savannah is beautiful. It isn't popular here in New Hampshire. I've never met one. My daughter is in third grade and has never met a Savannah either!

Please post a picture with a name announcement when the baby comes! Good luck! I'm hoping for an easy labor/delivery for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter