OT- help naming daughter!OT update 98 and now 170!

Our daughter is due in October, and we are naming her Isla (pronounced Eye-la). I am hoping the pronunciation won't throw people off too much, but I imagine it'll cause a few problems, lol. I've loved the name for awhile, though, and we waited a super long time for another baby (our son is 15), so we're going with it.

We did consider a few other names - Amelia, Charlotte, Hadley, Lila, Payton, & Caroline. We haven't decided on a middle name yet, but Caroline *might* be our first choice there.

DS is named Tyler, and he was always known by his last name initial in elementary school. There always seemed to be another Tyler in his class. Hopefully our little Isla won't have the same problem. :)

I have a niece with that name, but it is spelled Eila. Her middle name is Gale.

DD10 has a friend named Amelia, but pronounced Ah-muh-lee-uh. I think it's awesome, tried to put it on the list but DH vetoed it.

My sister had a friend in school that was named Michaela (pronounced Mick-a-la)

People who know someone will not have difficulty saying their name. Spelling is another story. I still have friends and family that spell my name wrong on cards, table place settings, etc.

The problem is that, going through life, there will be thousands of times she has to spell her name to someone else. I can see an "Isla", pronounced, "I-la" getting a lot of grief. "Are you sure there is an s in your name? It's not Ila?" etc, etc, etc.

I have an unusual name, spelled unusually. It is problematic in that I always have to spell and then respell my name for people. Then it still comes back spelled wrong! I just signed up for electric service and cable. Spelled my name clearly both times, bills come, it's spelled incorrectly both times!

Maybe this won't bother some people, but I honestly wish that I had a common name. It has got to be easier!

Isla shouldn't be too hard. Most people are familiar with the word "island".

Of course, I've had people have problems with my son's name: Oliver. People have also been known to struggle with my husband Mark and my sister Mary. I don't think names get much easier than those.

My sister had a friend in school that was named Michaela (pronounced Mick-a-la)

Michaela is meant to be pronounced Mick-ay-la, like McKayla or it's many variants usually is.

I don't know how one gets Ah-muh-lee-uh out of Amelia though. There is a name Amalia that would be something like that. Ah-mah-lee-uh.

My daughter is Amelia and we still haven't settled on Ah-mee-lee-a versus Ah-mee-lya.

:) My nieces names are

Stacy Elizabeth
Madaleine Page
AnnaGrace Finney (Finney is my mother's maiden name)
Caryana Michele
Julia Rae

I happen to have an old family name which I now like and is different after 44 years......

Lucretia Page

Many times I have had people tell me how unique it is and it often breaks the ice at work when I introduce myself.

I have met several during the years.

If I had a beautiful daughter (DH and I do not have children) named Scarlet. I would like to think I would name her sister Melanie and call her Mellie....just like the movie and very sweet.

Have you ever seen the Nicolas Cage skit on SNL where they are picking a baby name...hilarious! :rotfl2:

:rotfl: One of my favorites!

OP, out of your choices I really like Savannah. I think it goes so nicely with Scarlett.

Michaela is meant to be pronounced Mick-ay-la, like McKayla or it's many variants usually is.

I don't know how one gets Ah-muh-lee-uh out of Amelia though. There is a name Amalia that would be something like that. Ah-mah-lee-uh.

My daughter is Amelia and we still haven't settled on Ah-mee-lee-a versus Ah-mee-lya.

Well she was born quite a long time ago before Michaela or the other variations on the spelling were popular. I actually like it pronounced the way they did.

My four grand daughters names are:

Aubriee Shai
Hannah Lee
Abigale Raye
Leah Cassidy

My eldest son's daughter got her name just because my exD-I-L liked the name (her niece was already named Aleka and her nephew was named Ashton, so she wanted an A name).

Hannah was just an old fashioned Biblical named my younger D-I-L's mother liked.

My youngest D-I-L's middle name is Gale, she loved the name Abbie, and her mother's maiden name was Raye, so named their second daughter Abigale Raye.

Leah was also an old Biblical name they liked and a friend of theirs named Cassidy was killed in a car wreck about the time my D-I-L got pregnant, so chose Leah's middle name to honor and remember her friend.

My younger son and D-I-L also have a son older than their three girls named Logan Cole. That was what I wanted to name my younger son 31 years ago, but my husband vetoed it. It had been mentioned to my son through the years though and he liked it alot more than the name we round up giving him (Scott) and always said that if he ever had a son his name was going to be Logan Cole. Even before they got married, he and his now wife said that their first child was going to be Logan Cole if it was a boy and Logan Nicole if it was a girl. I love the name Logan, but not for a girl. You better believe I prayed for a boy, really really hard those nine months she was pegnant. lol That baby was called Logan even before he/she was conceived and neither my son or D-I-L would ever even consider another name. lol My elder son also has two boys named Levi Cooper and Layton Cole, so we have four L's, two A's, and one H.

My 16 y/o grand daughter's best friend's name is Sinclair. It's different but fits her.

Our daughter is due in October, and we are naming her Isla (pronounced Eye-la). I am hoping the pronunciation won't throw people off too much, but I imagine it'll cause a few problems, lol. I've loved the name for awhile, though, and we waited a super long time for another baby (our son is 15), so we're going with it.

We did consider a few other names - Amelia, Charlotte, Hadley, Lila, Payton, & Caroline. We haven't decided on a middle name yet, but Caroline *might* be our first choice there.

DS is named Tyler, and he was always known by his last name initial in elementary school. There always seemed to be another Tyler in his class. Hopefully our little Isla won't have the same problem. :)

I love the name Isla and it was on my baby name list. But when I would mention it to people I would get that strange look like "huh?" because the "s" really throws people off. I didn't want her going through life constantly have to correct the pronunciation of her name. It is such a pretty name though. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

We have three boys, names all start with W. If we had had a girl, it would have been Waverley. From your picks, I like Rose the best. That was in the running for middle name for us. Didn't have a girl, so named our puppy Lola Rose :)

I like Layla Rose. I think it's exotic and as strong as Scarlet's name. I would not repeat the S if you're interested in strength. It's like you are using the names you discarded when naming Scarlet.

I identify the name Scarlett with the character -- very strong-- and I think you should avoid cutesy-trendy names. Really, the first name that comes to mind is Melanie! I think most of the other "S" names that you listed fall into the trendy category.

Our almost 16 year old daughter's name is Brenna Jane. Jane is a family name, so we really wanted to use it for the middle name. We love that it's unusual, but not wierd-LOL!

Best wishes for your new bundle of joy!!

People who know someone will not have difficulty saying their name. Spelling is another story. I still have friends and family that spell my name wrong on cards, table place settings, etc.

The problem is that, going through life, there will be thousands of times she has to spell her name to someone else. I can see an "Isla", pronounced, "I-la" getting a lot of grief. "Are you sure there is an s in your name? It's not Ila?" etc, etc, etc.

I have an unusual name, spelled unusually. It is problematic in that I always have to spell and then respell my name for people. Then it still comes back spelled wrong! I just signed up for electric service and cable. Spelled my name clearly both times, bills come, it's spelled incorrectly both times!

Maybe this won't bother some people, but I honestly wish that I had a common name. It has got to be easier!

The story of my life!!!! and my name is a male name (REALLY DUMB IDEA to give a girl a boy's name, take it from someone who lives it every day). People can meet me, talk to me in person, and still address me as MR. B if they send me something in writing. :confused3 If I had a penny for every person who tried to "correct" the way I misspelled my name on paperwork my Disney fund would be full.

So I gave DD 1 a name that I was sure everyone could spell, pronounce and everyone would know she was a girl. Brittany. Then everyone in America decided to spell that name any crazy way that came into their heads, and Britney Spears came along.... and no one spells my girl's name correctly:rotfl2: So for the next DD we named her Bethany.... yeah folks can spell it and know she is a girl, but people usually call her Brittany. For a long time we thought it was people confusing her with her sister, but people who have never met her sister and don't know she has a sister do it too.

With my unusual name I just could not bear to change my name when I got married - my last name is short and common, and DH has a name that people always get wrong - it sounds similar to a common name but it isn't. Think about that when naming girls!!

But overall, no matter what you name her, she will be precious and beautiful and you will love her to the moon and back. congratulations.:banana:

my advice, pick a girl's name and a standard spelling. Why burden your kid with the extra hassle of a "creative" spelling???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter