OT- Help My Dog Had An Accident On Our Leather Couch!!

cocoswife

Mouseketeer
She peed on our couch, DH is going to kill her. This is a 6 yr old dog, who has never, ever done this before. She is such a good dog. I can't get the smell out, I try wiping it with dish detergent. I don't want to damage the couch, I don't know how to remove the smell. :sad2:

HELP!!

This has not happened to us, but I suggest google and searching for 'remove urine leather'. You will get a long list of websites. It seems most recommend a specific product but one does say use soap and water. I think a lot might depend on the grade of your leather. I can use a mild soap and water to clean our leather sofa.

Good luck!

You might try calling a local tack shop or horse supply place. They probably sell leather cleaners that are less harsh (we horse people worship our saddles) and you can ask which are least likely to darken or lighten (bleach it) the leather.

I guarantee many have had barn cats urinate on saddles and the like, so I'd bet someone has an idea of what leather cleaners work. I like Lexol (and if used in moderation, it shouldn't darken the leather) cleaner. It's been a while since I checked out what the new products might be.

You can also call the manufacturer, they might have some ideas.

Good luck!

Do you have a Sofa Mart in your area? They have AWESOME leather products. I don't know if they will sell it to just anyone or if you had to purchase your sofa from them. Is it more sude or real natural leather??

I know when we bought ours we were given a kit with Protector cream to put on ASAP when we got the furniture, a cleaner for accidents, and a conditioner to apply every six months.

Hope you can get the smell out, check at the local pet supply store too, they may have something that will work, but make sure it can be used on leather.

Lori

i don't have any tips for the couch but PLEASE ask your DH to not be harsh with her. All dogs have accidents, it could be she's not feeling well and at this point, to correct her, would do no good anyways. I know that when my dogs did something like that, it was cause they had a bladder infection and couldn't hold their urine. Maybe have her vet checked. Good Luck with the couch!

I don't have any advice on the couch, but possible help with your pup. We have a 9 year old female dog and a few years ago she started having accidents, particularly when she was sleeping. The vet said that this is common in spayed females as they age because they start losing elasticity in an area of their urinary tract. (They did also test for kidney issues etc. but all of that checked out). Hormone replacement was the ticket for us - she now gets one low dose once a week and hasn't had any problems since (except one week when I forgot to give her her "girl power pill")

Good Luck!

Have you tried Fabreeze? Before you go spend lots of money on other things try it. Good luck. :)

KristinU said:
I don't have any advice on the couch, but possible help with your pup. We have a 9 year old female dog and a few years ago she started having accidents, particularly when she was sleeping. The vet said that this is common in spayed females as they age because they start losing elasticity in an area of their urinary tract. (They did also test for kidney issues etc. but all of that checked out). Hormone replacement was the ticket for us - she now gets one low dose once a week and hasn't had any problems since (except one week when I forgot to give her her "girl power pill")

Good Luck!

I should have mentioned this also. My female cocker started having "sleeping" accidents. We give her her little white pill once a week. It helped alot at first but she's almost 14 now and i think she needs the dosage increased. She's been getting alot of "butt baths" lately, lol. :teeth:

Try Nature's Miracle, available at pet stores - it neutralizes the urine odor whereas Febreze would mask it. I would try it first on a small, unseen patch of the sofa first.

My 17 year old dachshund recently started having accidents in the house - even in her bed - and the vet prescribed PPA - a liquid to drop on her food twice a day. Because of the loss of elasticity of the sphincter, bacteria can migrate from the rectum to the urethra more easily in an older dog.

Try Urine be Gone they have it at Target for 19.99 but try it first in a little corner in the back to make sure you will not damage the sofa.
Linnette

Ok, I googled it and found that many people use white vinegar, so, I tried a few drops and it seems to work :thumbsup2

The sofa is a sectional and DH always sits on the other side, so, I don't think he will find out ;) Anyway, if he did find out he would not harm my little princess: , because, when we first got her I warned him that I would discipline her and if her ever even yelled at her, he would be sleeping on the couch :rolleyes1 Yes, I am overprotective with her, since, she was a stray and we found her sleeping under a bridge with no teeth, since, it looks that all she found to eat were rocks :sad2:

We planned to take our dogs to the vet tomorrow to get them ready for their stay at their pet resort when we leave on our trip. I will have the vet check for an urinary infection.I would let everyone know if the vinegar works. Thank you for all you advise and suggestions :wave:

My cat used to do this when he got mad at us....we used Greased Lightening and it took out the smell and the stain. Also try spraying the section with any citrus spray - animals apparently do not like the smell and won't go near it....which is why my house will smell like citrus all year long :sad2:

I LOVE Nature's Miracle and it can be bought at a pet store.

Normally you need to use this first on the stain after soaking the excess pee up. I tried wiping our dogs first accident up with vinegar (which I thought made it worse) and when I was told about this product, I tried it, even after using the vinegar first and it still took the smell out.

One day something smelled in the house and my husband thought the dog peed. He went over and smelled the carpet right in front of our sliding glass doors where she did go. I thought I was dead (as I never told him). He couldn't smell anything, which was great because he has a nose for these things. It ended up being something in our trash.

After that incident and seeing how well it worked, I always keep some on hand just incase. Best product I ever purchased! It also works great on other odors. It comes in a regular bottle or a spray bottle. I like the spray so I can use it as a neutralizer on curtains, furniture, etc...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter