OT-Has Anyone Vacationed In Hawaii?

I did not read all the post but the best info is Maui Revealed, Kaui revealed, Big island revealed, etc, just google and you will get there website, the books are awesome! Maui is my favorite, second by the Big island. I have been 4 times so any specific questions feel free!

I agree, we used the Maui revealed book, I don't see how people get around without it. It's has great maps and tell you where everything is.

Hello everyone. DH and I are planning a trip to Hawaii next summer and to be honest I am a bit overwhelmed with the planning. To me WDW is a piece of cake compared to this :rotfl: Anyhoo, if any of you have vacationed there any tips would be great. We are looking at possibly staying on the island of Kauai, if anyone has visited there input would be great.
What island did you stay on?
What hotel/resort?
THings to do?
Restaurants?
What time of year did you go?
Pics would be awesome if you have them :goodvibes

THanks so much!!!!:)
Subbing to find this later :)
We are thinking of going in about 2 years. My parents can stay at the Hale KOA ( military) for around $100 a night.:cheer2:
How much is it to fly between islands??

Love this thread. We are just now thinking about going in january 2010. My husband wants to go somewhere sunny, beachy and somewhere with a beach with some sort of covering. :) He is a red headed freckled boy. Anyway does Kauai have any beaches that would work for him? If not do any of the Hawaiian islands have little tents on their beaches?

If not I will have to look at other islands and I so want to go to Hawaii!

Have fun guys! You've gotten some great advice. We've been here a few years and don't want to leave! (we are Navy and supposed to leave early next year :( )

Some of the "famous" Hawaii events are seasonal...big waves are a winter thing, as are whales. But snorkeling is better when there is no surf, so summer is better for snorkeling unless it's a protected cove like Hanauma Bay on O'ahu,etc.

We've been to Big Island 3 times (usually stay in Volcano National Park) and Maui once. I live across the street from Big Kahuna's Pizza on O'ahu so we eat there all the time LOL. YUM!

We've done several weeks in Oahu and Kauai. I've had to work at a few hospitals on Oahu and we first started going to Kauai when we honeymooned there in 2002. I tend to be someone who primarily does local things, so here are some perspectives you might not get. I won't cover Oahu, as I am probably going to overload you with Kauai detail here. Let's say I'm just as bad with Oahu details... :lmao:

Kauai.
Accomodations:
We've stayed from locations such as the Hyatt in Poipu and the Ko'Olina resort in Kapa'a, to the small Old Mission B&B in Hanalei to a private rental cottage (basically a backyard rental house for $75/night) in a "sub-division" up on Sleeping Giant Mountain. We have always vowed never to stay in Princeville. It is run by Westin Hotels - the same folks that run the Swan at WDW - and we personally feel it is too "uppity touristy" and feel it really doesn't give you a feel for the island locals and culture. The whole Princeville area is designed for people who can afford a million dollar second home and golf course area. It's where the wealthy elite of the island live. One place we'd love to stay is the Plantations in Waimea. It's all the way on the West side of the island, but has the most amazing atmosphere.

Food: The bakery by the lighthouse up in Kilaheua is great. Just down the main road from there - on the south side of an "offramp" as the road curves south, an older couple run a little "place" just outside their house - more like a gazebo in their yard. The sign on the kitchen building says "malasadas" which are Hawaiian donuts, but they make the best kalua pig I have ever had. The husband has some wonderful stories, too. It's truly a local place - like the fish market in Koloa Town - which also has an excellent plate lunch and terrific poke. The shrimp wagon in Kapa'a is a tasty treat, as well. all locally caught shrimp and lots of garlic!!! If you want Gourmet - go to Pacific Cafe in Kapa'a - in the same plaza with the Wyland gallery and the Safeway. Fabulous dining and they stay open later than most restaurants. Also the sushi bar at Lemongrass had really good poke, too. Poke is a very Hawaiian dish - if you love sushi and raw ahi tuna, this is especially for you. Ahi tossed in a dressing of soy (shoyu) and sesame oil with a touch of seaweed, green onion and hawaiian salt. You can also get it at the Koloa Town Fish market made with smoked marlin or octopus (tako), if you liked cooked fish. There is also a branch of the world famous Roy's in Poipu - never a bad meal.

Outfitters Kauai runs the Zip line and lower kayaking trips up the river into the heart of the island. There are places only they as a company are allowed to go and conduct tours into. They have other tours and we loved them. The botanical gardens on the north end is great, too and you can kayak the Hanalei River, if you aren't brave enough for the ocean. We've wanted to do the tubing trip down the old sugar plantation irrigation canals, but the girls aren't old enough yet. The SNUBA experience was fun. We like to go to Hanalei Bay to just swim and hang out. Surf is very calm and it is a very friendly local beach. Most tourists go all the way to the end of the road at the north so they can see Bali Hai. Another thing we like to do in the evenings is take in a movie at the theater in Waimea. It's a small town theater, but if you get there early enough for the show, they have wicker lounge chairs in the back of the main section - a very homey and comfortable way to see the show and a fabulous way to meet the locals. We actually have a shopkeeper/aunty that we talk to on all of our visits and she came to the show to hang out with us! Very fun. I also make sure I go to Island Soap Works, the quilt shop and the coffee plantation on our trips, although Kauai coffee takes some getting used to.

One caution - It's a very safe and friendly island - but you will still need to be smart and take procautions against petty cash theft crimes, especially if you stay at some of the smaller timeshare places and get a first floor unit - lock your doors - especially if you step down to the beach when you first wake up at 4 or 5 am on that first morning.

The spa at the Hyatt is another do not miss, as is their lobby. They have local entertainment and hula shows there every afternoon at the bar by the big window oposite the entrance, so it's a wonderful, intimate place to sit and enjoy a drink and the sunset. Once you enter the place you understand why it costs so much - OMG - the view when you walk in takes your breath away! Tidepools was very tasty. The Italian place -not so much at all.....

Also, steer clear of the places that offer you discounts on touring tickets and special ocean sightseeing prices - they are 99.9% of the time linked to being forced to sit through a timeshare presentation with a high pressure sales pitch. DON"T DO IT - NO MATTER HOW GOOD THE TICKET PRICE IS!!!!! You don't want to forever regret going to Hawaii because you are now stuck with a timeshare that they wouldn't allow you to say no to. These are all over the islands, so you will be constantly around them.

FYI - the Disney resort will be a Disney Vacation Club development. Not all-inclusive, but like the other DVC resorts on Disney property - especially like those on Hilton Head SC and Vero Beach FL. Land has been broken for it in Ko'Olina on the west coast of Oahu.

Have fun guys! You've gotten some great advice. We've been here a few years and don't want to leave! (we are Navy and supposed to leave early next year :( )

Some of the "famous" Hawaii events are seasonal...big waves are a winter thing, as are whales. But snorkeling is better when there is no surf, so summer is better for snorkeling unless it's a protected cove like Hanauma Bay on O'ahu,etc.

We've been to Big Island 3 times (usually stay in Volcano National Park) and Maui once. I live across the street from Big Kahuna's Pizza on O'ahu so we eat there all the time LOL. YUM!

When we went to Big Kahuna's I couldn't stop laughing when I saw the Haole Pizza!!!!!

When we went to Big Kahuna's I couldn't stop laughing when I saw the Haole Pizza!!!!!

Yeah that makes me laugh too!! :lmao: (for those who don't know,it's the pizza the rest of country calls "Hawaiian pizza" with ham and pineapple LOL)

Thanks! :thumbsup2

Can anyone tell me what the weather (Temperatures) is like in June vs. July?

I have to second the Revealed Books by Andrew Doughty and Harriett Friedman. They are the best guides available and help you find the best beaches. They are written by locals. http://www.wizardpub.com

We've been to Oahu, the Big Island, Maui and Kauai. Each is wonderful and I don't think I could say which one is best.

I can especially recommend the Kilauea Lodge on the Big Island - http://www.kilauealodge.com Their restaurant is wonderful. It is near the volcano. If you are lucky enough to be at the volcano when you can walk up to the lava and feel its heat, it is a once in a lifetime experience. There is also the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens in Hilo which is spectacular.

The beaches around Maui and Kauai are the most beautiful I've ever seen and the snorkeling is amazing. Kauai has desert and tropical rain forest - and Jo Jo's Shaved Ice - a very special treat. The helicopter ride on Air Kauai is another once in a lifetime experience - you get to see the valley where Jurassic Park was filmed and the helicopter gets close enough to the cliff walls so you can see the veins in the vegetation. On Maui there are beautiful beaches and the road to Hana - a trip like no other - I found this video which will give you an idea - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrIf3lLaczc

I don't like Honolulu but it is the closest city to Pearl Harbor, another must see. The North shore of Oahu is spectacular - big surf beaches in the winter months but very swimmable in the summer.

The temperatures are in the mid 70s most of the year. The only consideration I'd make with time of year is that in summer the southern beaches tend to be rougher than those in the North.

Thanks! :thumbsup2

Can anyone tell me what the weather (Temperatures) is like in June vs. July?

There isn't any difference in my book to tell you the truth...mid to upper 80's and sunny, lows in the low 70's, depending on where you are on the islands. Chance of light showers (and rainbows!) and usually breezy as well!

Maui has REALLY cracked down on illegal rentals...watch out for that. Google for more info.

I enjoy Honolulu, it has a great "real" Chinatown plus the Ioloni Palace,etc. Diamond Head and Halona Blowhole are over by that side of the island.

We were at Kileaua (Big Island) over Thanksgiving, there is no lava up at the crater/caldera but there was some lava (very hard to see) entering the ocean outside the national park.

Kauai is beautiful! We stayed at the Embassy Vacation Resort @ Poipu. It was clean and spacious. The best thing about it was that it had a washer and dryer in the suite. I've decided it's a must when visiting a beach location. We went with kids but in my opinion it's more of a romantic laid back place. If it's just you and your DH and you're looking for a relaxed, laid back vacation then definitely go to Kauai!

Bumping this thread up...has anyone gone to Hawaii lately and any new experiences??
Anyone know any more info. about the Disney DVC resort being built in Oahu?
Thanks!:)

We have been to Hawaii twice for 2 weeks each time. The first time, we visited 4 islands - second time narrowed it down to our 2 favorites: Maui and Kauai. On Kauai, we stayed in a condo on the North Shore next door to Princeville called "Pu'u Poa". I had done a year's worth of research to choose it, and I highly recommend it. If you don't stay there, I at least recommend staying on the North Shore - it's phenomenal!

Things to do: na pali helicopter tour - BEST! beach hopping - very secluded beaches with sea turtles if you swim out a bit - breathtaking views; hiking to waterfalls; the Canyon (a day trip); relaxing; a little shopping. It's not very touristy compared to t he other islands, so t here isn't as much to do there. It has the most natural beauty though.

Restaurants: My favorite were "Gaylord's Plantation" and the lounge at Princeville. The Hula Performance held on Sunday nights at 6:30pm in the Living Room (the lounge) at the Princeville Hotel was nice too. Others are:
-Hanalei Wake Up Café / Great breakfast... popular with locals
-Hanalei Gourmet (ate here several times)

Time we went: July-Aug.

On Maui, we stayed at the Ka'anapali Ali'i and it was perfect! The best luau there is in Lahaina. Best restaurant is Mama's Fish house, lots to do there, but way more crowded too.

We love Hawaii and intend to go back every few years.

I'm still a newbie, so I don't think I can post pics. I hope this helps!

We went to Maui in December and it was beautiful. We stayed at the Hyatt on Ka'anapali Beach. We went with a group from hubby's work, so a lot of our activities were with them or thru them.

I have to 2nd...best restuarant Mama's Fish House!! We were taking the road to Hana and made it about 1.5-2hours there, but turned back. Most beautiful scenery, but I was very nauseaous the entire time. I was about 17 weeks pregnant, but didn't normally have nausea.

We went on a catamaran tour and went snorkeling, there were turltles everywhere. Went to the aquarium, it was nice to see all the different fish, but small. Expensive for the size of it.

Most of our dinners were with the company, one was on a golf course it was amazing...all open air restaurant.

We plan on going back in a few years when kids are older (well, littlest about 4-5) as a family. Hopefully we'll be going back w/hubby's work again in December....:thumbsup2

Bumping this thread up...has anyone gone to Hawaii lately and any new experiences??

It is in the Ko Olina resort area which is absolutely gorgeous. It is about 45 minutes west of Waikiki, much quieter. There are 4 man made lagoons that are great for the kids. Right next to where the DVC property will be is Paradise Cove which is one of the big Luau places. It is probably a 30-45 minute drive up to the North Shore. We lived in Ko Olina when we were there last year. Right now there are a couple of Marriott properties and then a couple of townhome/private home communities that people live in/rent out and Ko Olina is on an LPGA golf course.

http://www.koolina.com/

We stayed at the Marriott Vacation Club in Ko Olina April, and pretty much right next door (like in between the Marriott and where the JW Marriott is - along with some other condos) they are building the DVC. It looked like construction was coming along nicely and that it will be on lagoon 2 (I think the Vacation club is on lagoon 3 and 4 and the JW is on lagoon 1). You should be able to find maps and see where the location is. I wish I'd thought to take pictures! Sorry!

mickeyjen, can you tell more with your experience at the Marriott Vacation Club in Ko Olina? It looks really nice and we have lots of Marriott points and looking for a good fit....

mickeyjen, can you tell more with your experience at the Marriott Vacation Club in Ko Olina? It looks really nice and we have lots of Marriott points and looking for a good fit....

Sure! It was actually our second week (first was spent at the vacation club in Maui). The resort is hands down nicer than the one in Maui, but we thought they were friendlier and more helpful in Maui...

Anyway, we had a 2 bedroom, and it was HUGE. The layout was similar to most of the newer 2 BD Marriott rooms - full kitchen, lockoff bedroom with a pullout couch and mini kitchen, master bedroom with king size bed and huge tub, large living room with pullout couch and washer and dryer in the kitchen. There was even a huge entryway with a bench that we used as a sort of "mud room" for all our things coming and going and a sitting room off of the master bedroom.

There are several pools (my kids preferred the one with the volcano slide which was a pretty awesome slide!) as well as the man made lagoons. The lagoons are really nice... they make an otherwise unusable shoreline (lava cliff) into a really nice, sandy beach. They are a little artificial for our taste, and having come from Maui first (where they are inherently concerned for maintaining healthy ecosystems), it was hard to imagine that these were even allowed to be built. But since they are (apparently decades ago), we enjoyed them!:rotfl2:

Ko Olina is on the drier side of the island. For about five or ten miles before you get to the resort, you start to wonder if you're traveling through Arizona! Once in the resort, it feels like the islands again... There are a ton of stores and restaurants at the exit right before Ko Olina, including Target, Costco, and Safeway. So the location is very convenient even though its not in Honolulu. It took us about 20 minutes to get to Pearl Harbor and 10-15 minutes more to get to Honolulu and then Waikiki. Getting to the North Shore takes about the same as from the Honolulu side of the island.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know! Oh, and there was a huge mix of people who stayed there - families, couples, older, younger - it was nice! And it seemed like there were a lot more Hawaiian families staying here. I bet it makes a great getaway from Honolulu without going too far!

;) I'm still here, we found out we are here 4 more years LOL.

The Hilton Hawaiian Village has a new nice lagoon, pool w/slides and another tower. There aren't many places for roadtrips on the island so we stayed in Waikiki for the night for a change of pace LOL. We want to try Ko'Olina too, the lagoons are so nice out there, we go to the beach there about once a month.

The weather is finally getting warmer and unfortunately, it's been voggy lately. Dang volcano! (on Big Island but Kona winds bring them over to O'ahu)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter