OT: Has anyone used fabric markers or paint for shirts?

JAM3

Mouseketeer
I am planning on designing a shirt for the children to color at DD birthday. The children are all around the age of three. I was thinking of using some type of fabric markers. (Possibly paint if it will work better) I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for me as far as brand of markers or technique etc! Any help will be appreciated!

I also posted this on the creative board, however this board gets a lot more traffic so I thought I would post it here too. Everyone always has such great ideas!

We have made some great shirts using the freezer paper stencil technique. If you google the directions, you'll find several blogs that describe it. The shirts are made with fabric paint, they turn out so cute.

if you can find them.

At that age I'm not sure I'd go with shirts as they bunch up and will be difficult. How about something more structured such as an apron or hat? (We have done both)

Oriental trading makes some really cute hats made for decorating.

I've used the markers with a youth group to make shirts and also at my DD
6th Birthday. Had no problems, not sure how it would work with younger kids. I agree with PP that perhaps a more structured item would work better. I know our $store sells baseball caps.

Good luck, and most of all just let the kids be creative.
I too often try to step in!! :)

I made shirts with my kids and it is a bit difficult since the fabric has to stay still to write or paint on it. Since my DD and DS are young I did all the drawing and writing and they got to put their hand prints on the shirts in the colors they wanted. They had fun and I have cute shirts with their handprints and dates on it to save.

Did any of you use the cardboard inserts for the shirts too? Did you still find that the shirts moved a lot? I was thinking of putting clothes pins on the outside of the shirt and cardboard to keep it in place? I was thinking of having a picture already on the shirt and then they could just color them in. Maybe I am crazy for trying this?

I just googled this and it seems really interesting. I thought the kids could use sponges to paint on the shirts with this technique. I was wondering though, how easy does the stencil move, considering a child will be painting on it? I know the directions say to iron it on so it sticks, does it really stick enough that it will not move until I peel it off? Most directions don't mention how to care for them afterward. Dry first and then normal wash or what? How do they hold up? Is there much cracking? Sorry so many questions, just thought since you tried it before I would ask!

We have made some great shirts using the freezer paper stencil technique. If you google the directions, you'll find several blogs that describe it. The shirts are made with fabric paint, they turn out so cute.

I do shirts with my preschoolers with a stencil. I cut it out of contact paper and it sticks right to the shirt and they sponge it with fabric paint. If you do a simple stencil you can make a bunch. Last year I used the same stencil over and over for 40 kids and it held up fine. We just stick newspaper inside the shirt while they are painting.

You just wash it regularly and there is no cracking/peeling unless it gets very thick.

Unless you really want the shirts all to be something very specific, I say go with the markers. Three year olds will need a lot of supervision (basically one on one) with the sponge/paint way, but can work independently with the markers. They are just a bit lighter on the fabric. It will be hard to write on them though I'm afraid, even if you pin them to cardboard. The shirt just tends to bunch up.

If you go to orientaltrading.com and search on "design your own" you can see some of the cute fabric items they have to decorate.

Have fun!

I think you may want to consider an apron or tote for the kids. I have used
both and it is far easier to use the markers than the paint!

Good Luck!

We just did shirts with my 2nd grade brownie troop last week. It went fairly well.

The fabric markers were MUCH easier for the kids to use. By a long shot. And less messy too. We used the Crayola brand which we found at AC More.

We used cardboard in the middle of the shirt and used clothespins to secure the shirt to the board. Worked perfectly with no problems at all.

Thank you for all the feedback! It will help me a lot when getting the supplies. I may try out a couple of your suggestions and see what works best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter