OT-Granby Zoo....is it worth it?

Applemomma

DIS Veteran
Oh How I wish there was a "DIs" type board for every vacation....life would be easier.

We're planning a trip to Quebec City this summer (driving from N.S.) and plan to do Old Quebec City and some surrounding attractions such as the aquarium. My kids would like to go to the Granby Zoo but I see it's 235 kms away from Quebec City! :scared1: Is it worth our spending a few days in that area and basically go 2 and a half hours out of our "way"?

Any suggestions?

Thanks! Back to your regular scheduled Dissing.....

Oh How I wish there was a "DIs" type board for every vacation....life would be easier.

We're planning a trip to Quebec City this summer (driving from N.S.) and plan to do Old Quebec City and some surrounding attractions such as the aquarium. My kids would like to go to the Granby Zoo but I see it's 235 kms away from Quebec City! :scared1: Is it worth our spending a few days in that area and basically go 2 and a half hours out of our "way"?

Any suggestions?

Thanks! Back to your regular scheduled Dissing.....
I never thought I'd get to see the hometown where I grew up be mentioned on a public board. While the drive to Granby from Quebec city may seem long, it is worth it. At least I think it is but then again I moved away from the zoo city 25 years ago. I remember the zoo was lots of fun and had lots of animals. This past summer we went to the Toronto zoo for the first time. There is a lot of walking and very little animals and all I had to go on was memory. I googled it that day and seen that it was grown a fair bit from what I remember it to be.

I haven't been to the Granby zoo in about 10 years but I remember our son really enjoyed it. There is a water park there as well and a rides section as well, so I guess it would depend on how old your kids are. If you have time I would do it! But I'd suggest, take a few extra days and visit Montreal as well -- if you are going to head that way you might as well detour properly! :idea:

We were at Granby Zoo last year. It has definitely improved over a few years ago when it seemed to be falling apart. We had an enjoyable day.

I wanted to post the links to their website but I don't have enough posts. Sorry. If you go to Google............under Canadian pages.... you will find it there.

We had a very good day there. We didn't get to go on the rides (didn't even see them) but we did spend time at the Water Park which was fun.

However, it is a long drive from Quebec City to go to a Zoo, I also would suggest visiting Montreal or perhaps there is a Zoo near Quebec City.

Good Luck with your plans......

:goodvibes

Thanks for the replies!

I never thought I'd get to see the hometown where I grew up be mentioned on a public board. .

It's a small world after all :) I love your ticker! I didn't know I could do it in months....I gotta get me one!

If you have time I would do it! But I'd suggest, take a few extra days and visit Montreal as well -- if you are going to head that way you might as well detour properly! :idea:

We're definitly thinking of sliding part of our vacation that way for a couple days...just would like to find more to do then the zoo but I'm a small town girl and the idea of the big city of Montreal terrifies me!

I wanted to post the links to their website but I don't have enough posts. Sorry. If you go to Google............under Canadian pages.... you will find it there.

However, it is a long drive from Quebec City to go to a Zoo, I also would suggest visiting Montreal or perhaps there is a Zoo near Quebec City.

Thanks, I do have the link already and unfortunatly it looks like the only zoo near Quebec City itself closed in 2006, Any suggestions for what to do around Montreal?

I haven't been to Granby Zoo in 35 years! Many great memories! Love the apes! Blessings, Sandra

Hi,

Personaly, I much prefer PARC SAFARI to the Granby Zoo. At Parc Safari you get upclose and personal since the animal come to you and you feed them while doing the "car safari" (giraffe, zebras, bulls, camels, wilder beasts etc). They also a walking section where you can see bears, lions, tigers, monkeys etc and none of those animals are in cages, you are just higher up looking at them from a bridge. They also have very cool glass tunnels where you can see the lions and tigers from up close. I always get my season pass to Parc Safari since I love it SO much!!!!:goodvibes

Hi,

Personaly, I much prefer PARC SAFARI to the Granby Zoo. At Parc Safari you get upclose and personal since the animal come to you and you feed them while doing the "car safari" (giraffe, zebras, bulls, camels, wilder beasts etc). They also a walking section where you can see bears, lions, tigers, monkeys etc and none of those animals are in cages, you are just higher up looking at them from a bridge. They also have very cool glass tunnels where you can see the lions and tigers from up close. I always get my season pass to Parc Safari since I love it SO much!!!!:goodvibes

Wow! Just got in from work but I'll have to google them after supper! That's the advantage to obsessivly planning trips months in advance.....changing plans constantly :) :)

I really think I'm going to stear my family into splitting the vacation half to Old Quebec City and half in Montreal ....do the old and the new...

I thought Parc Safari was a bit, um, tired, myself. Although we LAUGHED like crazy at the antics of some of the animals coming right up to the van ahead of us, where 2 guys sat hanging out of the back end with a beer in one hand and a bag of carrots in the other! Too funny for words!!!!! But man, the drive around the safari part was L--O--N--G and very slow!

Mentioned the idea of the Safari to hubby and now he's worried about monkeys ripping the windsheild wipers off the car :lmao:

Anyone know approximate cost of the Parc Safari? They don't have any rates listed....

DD#1 mentioned Cirque Du Soleil tonight too .....this trip is getting more expensive by the minute! Might be our only shot though to see it.

We've been to Granby several times now and love it. Its a must do each time we go to Montreal. We've never done the water park area though because I think our kiddos are too young for it. There are so many things to do in the Montreal area with kids. The biodome is great and La Ronde (amusement park) is really nice... not Disney, but lots of fun. We also like the botanical gardens there. All have their own websites.

We've been to Granby several times now and love it. Its a must do each time we go to Montreal. We've never done the water park area though because I think our kiddos are too young for it. There are so many things to do in the Montreal area with kids. The biodome is great and La Ronde (amusement park) is really nice... not Disney, but lots of fun. We also like the botanical gardens there. All have their own websites.

I agree with all of the above. Do keep in mind that La Ronde is NOT Disney. I would definately try to see Cirque de Soleil. Happy planning.

Thanks! I really think I'm leaning in that direction. Do you think that the waterpark section would be good for my then 8 and 12 year olds? What about the Biodome? Where do you stay in the area? My hubby actually lived as a kid in the St. Bruno area and wouldn't mind showing the kids around there.

I agree with all of the above. Do keep in mind that La Ronde is NOT Disney. I would definately try to see Cirque de Soleil. Happy planning.

I actually took a quick look at La Ronde's website the other day and put it low on the list...we're not really rollercoaster folks so a Six Flags (who I think runs t) isn't for us. Cirque is, however, HIGH on my list :)

Mentioned the idea of the Safari to hubby and now he's worried about monkeys ripping the windsheild wipers off the car :lmao:

Anyone know approximate cost of the Parc Safari? They don't have any rates listed....

DD#1 mentioned Cirque Du Soleil tonight too .....this trip is getting more expensive by the minute! Might be our only shot though to see it.

Funny you mentionned the monkeys ripping the wipers off your car, thats actually the reason why they removed the monkeys from the safari part! They were causing way to much car damages! Now you can see the monkeys in the walking part.

If you plan to go during a weekday, it wont be that busy but if you go on a weekend then the safari part does take forever. Also try to avoid the "construction weeks" which are usually end of July/beginning of Aug.
I think Parc Safari is about $30 per adult and cheaper for kids. I beleive you can also get a family pass but I dont know the cost but it obvisously comes out cheaper than paying individually.

I personnaly HATE La Ronde and wouldnt spend my money there. I went for free last year (won some tickets) and even for free I didnt enjoy it that much.

I already bought my tickets for Cirque 2009, I cant wait to go!!!!!!!:wizard:

In Montreal, I'd definitely do a combo day at the Botanical Gardens/Biodome, those are great. For a relaxing evening or a rainy day, the Planetarium is great, and they have shows in both French & English. There is also lots of outdoor stuff 1h away from town, but that would be very similar to home.

For Cirque however, I just want to warn you that tickets for those shows are selling very quickly, and that by the time you get you planning in place, it might be sold out. I know a friend at work bought his tickets over a month ago, and I've personally tried for tickets some years, and I was always too late! Just make sure your mind is not set on that...

I agree that Parc Safari is a lot better than Zoo de Granby or let's say... even La Ronde

Of course it depends what you are looking for but I've been to all Montreal attractions, Quebec city attractions (aquarium & mega-parc), & Niagara falls attractions (Marineland, etc.) & Canada's Wonderland also and just love Parc Safari.

I have not been to Disney yet but I feel Parc Safari is the most "american" way of doing things... (I've been all around USA & in american theme parks).

For me & DD4 its the best place we can go in Canada.
Can't wait to be in Disney...:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter