OT - Ft. Lauderdale beach vs. Siesta Key?

riu girl

DIS Veteran
Can anyone tell me if the beaches in the Greater Ft. Lauderdale area are white sand like that of Siesta Key. The closest I have been to Ft. Lauderdale on the Atlantic coast is Daytona and Daytona is definately dark brown sand.

We are just tentatively putting together a holiday for 2007 and are considering the Ft. lauderdale area due to its proximity to the Florida Keys/Miami but prefer fine white sand.

Thank you

It's not the fine white sugar sand like siesta on Ft. Lauderdale Beach. they are two totally different places. Ft. Lauderdale is sandier, looser, while Siesta is find, more compact white sand.
Ft. Lauderdale is more lively, Siesta is quieter.

A lot of Ft. Laud. beach is reclaimed sand dredged from yards out. The storms and the poor design of the jetty at Port Everglades causes severe beach errosion. The resulting sand is very coarse at times and sometimes a little "stinky". However, the night life is definitely better at Ft. Lauderdale but it is a lot more sophisticated than the "springbreak" experiences in the 80's. Beach Place is a multi-level bar and restaurant complex right on the beach. There are some local favorite bars such as the Parrot Lounge or the ElboRoom that are great hangouts.

My husbands uncle lives only a few miles from Siesta Key. We went last summer and the beach was beautiful. Well let me say that if it hadn't just had red tide it would have been fantastic. I could only stay on the beach for about an hour due to the smell. I have no idea how long it lasts or how often it happens. However I would make SURE not to go near a beach during or after red tide again. :faint:

Hockeymommy said:
My husbands uncle lives only a few miles from Siesta Key. We went last summer and the beach was beautiful. Well let me say that if it hadn't just had red tide it would have been fantastic. I could only stay on the beach for about an hour due to the smell. I have no idea how long it lasts or how often it happens. However I would make SURE not to go near a beach during or after red tide again. :faint:

You really can't predict when Red Tide hits. So, I wouldn't plan a vacation trying to figure it out. It doesn't happen that often. It is a nasty smell when it does hit. Seems to me that fall is the worst. This can give you an alert.
http://research.myfwc.com/features/view_article.asp?id=12373

DH's dad lives in Ft. Lauderdale area so we visit that area quite a bit. Haven't been to Siesta Key but the beaches on Ft. Lauderdale have a very pretty sand, very light light color, almost white, beautiful beach. No comparison AT ALL between Ft. Lauderdale beaches and Daytona, Daytona beaches to us are horrible. Go down by the Sheraton Yankee Clipper for a wider expanse of beach. It's a beautiful area. Last time we went they were doing a lot of construction but that was 2 years back. Have fun! PS I never experienced stinky smelling beach. The water is very blue green, beautiful! No comparison nothing at all like Daytona, we really didn't like Daytona beach ourselves, that hard brown sand, the water wasn't as blue, etc.

Thanks so much for the info.

In 2004 we did a week in Orando followed by a week in Daytona.
In 2005 we did two weeks in Siesta Key followed by a week in Orlando.
This year we are doing a week in Orlando followed by two weeks in Siesta Key.

For 2007 we are thinking about trying something new. I have read about Ft. Lauderdale and it really interests us so we are thinking about a week in Orlando followed by a week in Ft. Lauderdale followed by a week in Siesta Key.
Looking at pics of Ft.Lauderdale , the sand looks white compared to the dark brown grainy sand in Daytona. With both of them being on the same coast and not too far from each other, I was just worried that the pics of Ft. Lauderdale I had seen had perhaps been colour enhanced. We had a nice time in Daytona but don't like the texture/colour of the sand. But from what I have read on this thread, it sounds like the sand in Ft. lauderdale is perhaps not as white as Siesta Key, but white nonetheless.

Thanks again for all the info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter