OT: Front load washers and HE detergent

Lorikr65

Lorikr65
Had to get a new washer machine today. My old Whirlpool (14 years) stopped spinning and I have been eyeballing the front loaders anyway!! We got the Whirlpool Duet. I know you have to use the high efficiency (HE) detergent with it - Tide makes one, because of the concentrate I guess. Does anyone know if I can use up what I have (Tide Coldwater) and how much less you are suppose to use. Or, should I just give it away and go get the new stuff!!

Thanks - Lori

I just used up what I had, but used very little. The stuff I have now is He/regular, and I still have to use less than the He directions tell me to or I have soap suds at the end.

I have the Whirlpool Duets (My dad works at Whirlpool) and we use HE Det.
I normally use Tide but they do have other brands out on the market.
I don't know if you should use anything else :confused3 :confused3
Sorry I can't answer your question.

When I got my HE machine, I gave away the little bit of leftover "regular" detergent that I had. It might not really hurt the machine, but I wasn't willing to risk my $1400 washer/dryer set for $2 of detergent!

I bought a GIANT bucket of HE detergent from Sears for $20 back in April, and I'm still using that same bucket. Because you use so little, it lasts forever.

We have the Duet also, don't use regular detergent! My husband accidently used the old regular Tide and it took almost two hours of wash time to clear the machine of soap suds! I bet he'll never make that mistake again!

You can use regular detergent if you have to, but it can damage the machine. If you do use it, only use about 1/4 of what you would normally use in a regular washer. Regular detergent suds way too much and something about it can damage the machine-cause leaks and things like that. I've used regular detergent in ours before, but only here and there and only when I had to have something washed immediately and didn't have HE stuff.
Also, most brands of detergent make an HE type now.

Supposedly, HE detergent is watered down regular stuff (and available in some generics in addition to tide). However, having seen a washer break bc of too much detergent, I'd vote that watered down detergent is cheaper than a washer.

that's funny, I bought a front loader a few wks ago. I should have sat down with the papers that came with it, but I just haven't had the time. Lowe's installed it and showed me how to work it. They never said anything about using a special detergent. One of the guys that installed it told me he bought the same one, how much his wife liked it, and how he'd built a platform for it so she didn't have to bend down so far. Not knowing any better, Ive been finishing up the detergent I already had. I've never had a problem with suds in the washer! Maybe it's the brand I used? Can't remember what it is, but it's not name-brand. Something like Sunlight? I did buy a bottle of the Tide HE, which is the only HE I've seen in any of the stores here, just to see if there's a difference, but I haven't opened it yet.

I wouldn't use it. Probably safe ~ if you reduce the amount, but is it really worth it ?

I use HE Wisk. I prefer it over Tide. I get almost any possible stain out of clothes just with a regular wash cycle (I have small kids, so we have lots of things spilled down the front !).

good luck! Once you've gone front load, you'll never go back!

Read your owner's manual to see what it says about HE detergent.

The Bosch front loading machines can use regular but you reduce the amount. The Bosch machine also can not use chlorine bleach, so there may be other things you need to know about your new washer besides just the HE detergent. We use Tide HE and a bleach pen or spray Shout for stains.

I use tide HE, but just got a bottle of Method HE, and All HE...I want to try all of them out.

I have had a front loader for six years and have had no problems using regular detergent (i.e. cheer or tide). I started out a dedicated HE detergent user but as the years have gone by, I went back to the regular detergent. I always use a reduced amount. Good idea to check the owners manual, some front loaders may be more sensitive than others. pooh:

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I'll just exchange the bottle I have for an HE one.

With all the "stars" posting on these threads I'm a little insulted Oprah or Paula Abdul or Ty, etc. hasn't come to join this one!!

DisneyFanTN said:
I have had a front loader for six years and have had no problems using regular detergent (i.e. cheer or tide). I started out a dedicated HE detergent user but as the years have gone by, I went back to the regular detergent. I always use a reduced amount. Good idea to check the owners manual, some front loaders may be more sensitive than others. pooh:

I have an LG front loader and have always used regular Tide (I juse use less) and never had any problems with excess suds. Maybe it does depend on the brand of the machine and it's sensitivity. :confused3

I have the Whirlpool duet. I use only HE. I even had a problem with the Costco brand detergent that said it could be used with HE washers. It made too many suds. I use Tide HE now. You can get the huge one at Costco in the HE, or I sometimes just buy the regular size if its on sale.

DisneyFanTN said:

We also Started on HE
but have gone to regular tide reduced amount!
6 years not a peep out of it!
:teeth:

I just got a LG front loader and it has a sticker on the drawer you pull out for the detergent that says to use HG. I use All free and clear HE. I find it at Meijer with the regular detergent.

Ok I don't have one of these HE washers yet, but have had the opportunity to use one and loved it!!! When my washer breaks, I will then get one of these HE washers. We had the opportunity to use it in the children's hospital that my daughter was going to for chemo treatments. When they were installed we were told over and over again that we could use regular detergent, but we should only use about 1/4 - no more than 1/2 of what you would normally use. I used this amount and it worked out wonderfully. With the hospital installing so many new ones on that floor, I wouldn't think they would have allowed us to use regular detergent if they were going to ruin the machines. The families on those floors rely on those machines as many are there for weeks or even months at a time.

DisneyFanTN said:

I am with you. I have had my front loader for two years. Use less regular detergent. I am not totally sold on the HE detergent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter