• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT for flying into NYC

disneyeveryyear

DIS Veteran
DH and I will be taking a Canada/New England cruise for our 20th anniversary this October. We will be departing from the Brooklyn pier. The cruise ship will provide transfers from LGA, JFK or EWR.

Which airport will be the easier to navigate? We have to get our own luggage and then meet up with the Princess Cruise representative.

Can anyone from that area help?

Cost of flights doesn't need to be factored since we are using FF flight and they are available into all 3.

Thanks.

The question is where do you meet the Princess representative? JFK has multiple terminals. Do you have to grab your luggage, take the monorail to a central location? What about LGA?

Double check the cost of your transfers. A cab from LGA, or even JFK, might not cost much more.

LGA rates from pier to airport are $58 one way - I assume that it would be the same the other. That is $116 plus tips and the stress of being driven in an area we are not at all familiar. So you figure $130 and stress.

Transfer are $160 and no stress.

DH prefers we use transfers.

LGA LGA LGA!

I only fly out of JFK if I'm going abroad, it's too big of an airport even for us natives.

As for Newark, it takes a good 2 hours to get into Manhatten most days from there. :rolleyes1

So for someone like myself who lives in LA but has never been to NYC, are you folks suggesting that when I do visit, you feel that I'd be better off flying in LaGuardia (which means a change of planes somewhere) as opposed to flying nonstop from LAX to either Newark or JFK?

Follw-up question; are the security lines any shorter at LaGuardia than they are at either JFK or Newark?

So for someone like myself who lives in LA but has never been to NYC, are you folks suggesting that when I do visit, you feel that I'd be better off flying in LaGuardia (which means a change of planes somewhere) as opposed to flying nonstop from LAX to either Newark or JFK?

Follw-up question; are the security lines any shorter at LaGuardia than they are at either JFK or Newark?

I would take a nonstop into JFK... I've never had a problem there, there are multiple terminals but I think it's laid out pretty straight foward.

Since LGA is a somewhat smaller airport than JFK, does that mean that the security lines would be shorter than they would at JFK?

Since LGA is a somewhat smaller airport than JFK, does that mean that the security lines would be shorter than they would at JFK?

Both airports are well equipped to handle their respective flow of travelers. Besides, you need to get to both airports equally early.

Thanks for all of those tips---I really appreciate them.

One more question would be what's the best & most reasonably priced way to get from LaGuardia (or JFK) into midtown Manhattan---light rail, subway, Super Shuttle, taxicab, or something else?

Thanks again.

One more question would be what's the best & most reasonably priced way to get from LaGuardia (or JFK) into midtown Manhattan---light rail, subway, Super Shuttle, taxicab, or something else?

Thanks again.

Based on your original post I thought you were going to take Princess supplied transfers directly from the airport, now it sounds like you're going to Manhattan. Newark and JFK have rail transportation to midtown Manhattan. Newark is probably the fastest. This assumes you don't have a lot of luggage.

Super shuttle would be cheaper than a taxi. JFK you could use the Airtran to jamacia and the LIRR into penn but that might be a bit of a hassel. I think the shuttle is the most convienent and most likely cheapest way.

Thanks again.

I would also avoid EWR at all costs. I have flown out of all nyc area airports and EWR is always a hassel. Lga is the easiest and probably quickest to nyc depending on traffic- which is another reason I would prepay and travel supershuttle rather than taking a taxi.

Based on your original post I thought you were going to take Princess supplied transfers directly from the airport, now it sounds like you're going to Manhattan. Newark and JFK have rail transportation to midtown Manhattan. Newark is probably the fastest. This assumes you don't have a lot of luggage.

Actually, I (OP) am going to the Brooklyn pier. Mr. Marv. has jumped in since he also appears to be flying into NYC soon.

Thanks for the info, we are booking into LGA. I appreciate all the input.

Fly into JFK, take the airtrain ($5?) to Jamaica Station and the subway ($2 per trip) into Manhattan. You can buy fare media at Jamaica Station that includes your fare from JFK and any additional amount you wish to place on it. Very convenient.

Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter