• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT: For children whose parents suffer from old age diseases -parkinsons, alzheimers,

this made me cry. my dad has something similiar to parkinsons, but it's called something like spino-cerrebellur ataxia. The back of his brain is shrinking. He just found out he had it about 8 years ago, and he's getting worse every day. It breaks my heart to see my dad like he is now, because he was always so outgoing and a hard working man. Now he sits at home, eats and sleeps...that's it. He dont go anywhere because he thinks everyone is judging him. I live only 8 doors down from him, so I visit him everyday. My mom was always a sahm until my dad lost his job due to his disease, now she works about 80 hours a week. I cant wait until they find a cure for this evil disease!

Thank you for posting this here!! MY mother inlaw has Alzheimer's and lived with us for 11 1/2 years. She just hit the 2 year mark of being in a nursing home. She is doing great there...much better that she was at home!!

I have belonged to an Alzheimer's message board for almost 2 1/2 years and I have to say it has been my lifesaver!! If anyones wants info on the link for it I would be happy to share it with you!! We are truely a family and love and welcome new members!! Sene me a PM if you want!!

anyhow this was shared with the group a while back and I don't think there was a dry eye in the house!! A real reminder....that's for sure!!

hugs, Deb

thanks. my sil has parkinson's though she is only 47. I will be honest in saying that I hate knowing how bad parkinson's can get but I do need to prepare myself. We are also dealing with dhs dad who isn't diagnosed but may have something like early alzheimers.

Wow, that was just :sad: .

My Grandmother has Alzheimers and my Grandfather died last month. He didn't have Alzheimers but mini strokes had caused him to become very forgetful the past couple of years. He died on Feb. 8. My Grandparents had been married for 65 years. Some days my Grandmother forgets and asks where he is. It's so hard, she has to relive learning about his death.

Thank you for the link, I will share it with others.

There seems to be a lot of people here with Parkinsons related situations. :hug:

This isn't related to the original post per-se, but for those that know someone with Parkinson's I wanted to pass this on. My Dad had a fair amount of "freezing" spells when he lived at home. Small rooms, corners, going from one room to another where the floor changes color were all common triggers for his freezing. We were referred my his neurologist to a special walker called a U-Step walker. It has a laser beam that can be projected on the floor. This laser beam helps to break the freezing. I was absolutely amazed how well this worked! I highly recommend it!

They also offer a cane that has the laser built in too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter