OT - Five people in Hotel Room? (Non-Disney)

FairyGodmotherJen

DIS Veteran
Looking for some advice...we're a family a five, and therefore have been trying to stay in hotel rooms that sleep five when we travel. At Disney, I know which resorts can sleep us and which ones can't. Unfortunately, we don't go to Disney every year, so I can't control what's offered. ;)

Recently, someone who grew up in a family of five told me they never had trouble booking a room - they just stayed in a regular room and requested a cot. Any larger-than-four families out there that have a solution to hotel stays where you need more than two double beds?? It's getting expensive to continue to find mini-suites or whatever they want to call the rooms with a pull-out couch. I'm trying to figure out if there's another option out there...

Thanks in advance!

I'm curious too. We are a family of 5 and limited on what value resorts are available to us. Most of the rooms say under 4 people.

We are a family of five also. We leave for Disney next week, and are staying at Bonnet Creek. For the price of 2 nights at a Family Suite at ASM we are staying for 7 nights at Bonnet Creek, with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms. My kids are young, 7, 6, and 6 but two double beds is still too small for us. We contemplated staying at Port Orleans, Riverside, as they have a few rooms with a trundle bed, that sleeps 5.

We are a family of 4 but just traveled with one of my daughter's friends so we had 5 in the room. We stayed at Gaylord Palms one night and they allowed 5 and brought up a rollaway bed ($30 charge though). Also at the end of our trip we stayed one night at Homewood Suites and that had 2 full size beds in the bedroom plus a sleeper sofa, so allowed 5. We used Hilton.com or marriot.com to book and just searched for the ones that slept 5. We had many available choices and price ranges.

We're a family of 6 and have found renting a vacation home works best for us. Last trip we rented a 5 bedroom, 3 bath home with a private pool for $700/week inclusive of all taxes and fees.

There are lots of good sites to find vacation homes/condos. I've used vrbo.com, vacationhomes.com, vacationrentals.com and homeaway.com.

We're a family of 6 and have found renting a vacation home works best for us. Last trip we rented a 5 bedroom, 3 bath home with a private pool for $700/week inclusive of all taxes and fees.

There are lots of good sites to find vacation homes/condos. I've used vrbo.com, vacationhomes.com, vacationrentals.com and homeaway.com.

I can not encourage this enough.
We did one hotel trip with first child and I have avoided hotels as much as possible ever since.

I've rented houses, condos, and townhouses in three states, including five times in Disney area. And I have a house booked already for May 2014.

Our last trip was a great 4 bedroom, three bath house with private pool, great kitchen and plenty of living space. It was $100 a night. We spent two weeks there.

You CAN still eat out every meal if you like. There are restaurants everywhere. Our family prefers to eat at home. No counter service food choices, and no waiting to be seated or served.

We mostly ate lunch and dinner out. We like visiting the parks commando style from rope drop to being kicked out. Then we take a day off and lie around the pool.

Did I mention how nice it is to NOT share a pool with other people's kids?

PM me if you'd like some links.

Thanks for all the ideas! We just got back recently from a long weekend in Chicago, and are looking at a short stay in D.C. on the way to another destination this summer. In both cases, a regular hotel room that would sleep four would have been much more affordable for us, but I guess I just need to let that go. Someone told me to just pack an air mattress, but I don't think I can do that!

I have looked at vacation homes, but only vacation rentals by owner. I'll try some of the other links, as well. Thanks again!

I grew up in a family of five and we usually stayed in Embassy Suites when we traveled. There were two large beds in a bedroom separate from a living area that had a fold out bed and they also had cots available if we needed one. We also got a full breakfast every morning and a snack/drink reception every night. The cost can be pricy if you're paying rack rates and don't call to get discounts, but we usually pay about $100-150 a night to stay at Embassy Suites.

When me and my sisters were younger we didn't have any trouble in regular rooms, my parents would take one of the beds and me and one of my sisters would share the other, and we'd call for a trundle/cot (usually free wherever we stayed) and it would set up usually over by the windows/door to the balcony outside. Because of my dad's work we always have stayed at Hilton or Marriott and we find that they've always been more than accommodating with our family size, even now when we travel as a party of 6 since my sister has a child.

We've stayed in Springhill Suites by Marriott, which is affordable, and they are mini suites that sleep 5 or 6.

I've found some hotels, even within the same chain will allow a cot and some won't. So it could depend on occupancy or fire regulations that vary by state.

We are a family of 4 and we do NOT like doing hotel rooms. Even with only 4 people it starts to get cramped after a couple of days. At WDW we stay at Bonnet Creek. We can get a 2 bedroom for less than what a value resort would cost. We love all the extra space and having a kitchen. We do breakfast before leaving for the parks. That saves $$.

Thanks for all the ideas! We just got back recently from a long weekend in Chicago, and are looking at a short stay in D.C. on the way to another destination this summer. In both cases, a regular hotel room that would sleep four would have been much more affordable for us, but I guess I just need to let that go. Someone told me to just pack an air mattress, but I don't think I can do that!

I have looked at vacation homes, but only vacation rentals by owner. I'll try some of the other links, as well. Thanks again!

We are a family of 6 so I get where you are coming from. However, most of the time, with regular hotel rooms they say they can sleep 4 based on fire code. If you are "caught" putting more then 4 in there, it can be a big deal. (They have the right to kick you out or fine you). I am sure many do it, but I, personally, would not be comfortable with it. After our twins were born so many hotel's wouldn't even allow us to be in a "4 person" room even though two of them were infants and didn't need a "bed" per say. All that was based on fire code. We basically always have to get two rooms or a suite. Yes, it is crazy expensive. But what can you do? The world is no longer set up for us "big" families. :lmao:

Good luck and have fun in DC. I know there is an Embassy suites and a Residence Inn there and both have rooms that sleep 6. Prices were not too bad the last time we went.

8 of us stayed at Lake Eve Resorts a couple of years ago before a cruise; 3 br/2ba and it was less than $100/night; we saw a great deal online but called the front desk and they stacked the AAA discount on top of the cheapest we found online. Mousavers.com also has a link to a really good Springhill Suites discount. We travel with girls/women so 1 bathroom is not enough even if there's just 3 of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter