OT - Favorite Christmas Music

TSWJan78

NE DIva
Hi everyone,

Like many of you I am so excited to be listening to Christmas Music. We have 3 radio stations that play it all day but I feel like they play the same 25 songs all day. I need to download some new songs to my IPod so I am asking all of you, What are your favorite Christmas songs and who signs them best. Between all of us we should be able to come up with a great play list.

This is not on everyone's playlist - but it's excellent - perfect for an I-Pod

Raul Malo - Marshmallow World (from the CD, Marshmallow World & Other Favorites) :santa:

One of my favs is the song by Garth Brooks about the nightengale bird, can never remember the name. I also love anything traditional- Silent Night, Ava Maria...etc

Great group called "Straight No Chaser".

Look on Youtube for the 12 days of Chirstmas song. Very funny!

Last Christmas I was obsessed with two songs:

Angels We Have Heard on High by Josh Groban & Brian McKnight

and

12 Days of Christmas by Straight no Chaser (This one is probably better on You tube than in your iPod though. I'd link but there are a million different versions and I can't remember which one is best.)

Straight No Chaser is actually pretty great on all songs if you like a cappella music. Especially Carol of the Bells

(Edited to add... SFBayDon's post wasn't there when I started typing! :))

I also really like

The Nutcracker Suite by The Brian Setzer Orchestra

OK. I have to stop thinking about Christmas and get home to make some progress on Thanksgiving!

I have been listening to Christmas music since a few days before Halloween. :) It's my favorite time of year. The 24/7 station just started last weekend, too.

I have zillions of CDs. I had on Monster Ballads XMas yesterday and Jessica Simpson's today. There's soo many out there!

My very favorite Christmas Music:

Christmas Stays the Same by Linda Eder. Favorite cuts on this one include Here Comes Santa Claus/Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town Medley, Silent Night, and the Bells of St. Paul.

Noel by Josh Groban. Favorite cuts include Thankful, O Holy Night, O Come All Ye Faithful, and I'll Be Home For Christmas.

(It's impossible to search the iTunes website, so I'll just link to Amazon! :))

To Wish You A Merry Christmas by Harry Belafonte.

Ella Wishes You A Swinging Christmas by Ella Fitzgerald

Joy - A Holiday Collection by Jewel

Rocky Mountain Christmas by John Denver

My Christmas by Andrea Bocelli.My favorites on this one are What Child Is This (love Mary J. Blige - sounded like an odd pairing, but it works SO beautifully!), I Believe and God Bless Us Everyone.

The Gift by Jung. Linda Eder does two cuts on this one. One is repeated on Linda's Christmas album, but this version has a harp. But I LOVE the title track.

My father listened to Harry Belafonte and John Denver growning up - so those are just the essence of Christmas for me. And Linda Eder is my favorite pseudo-current release. It's already over 10 years old, but it's my very favorite Christmas album.

One of my favs is the song by Garth Brooks about the nightengale bird, can never remember the name. I also love anything traditional- Silent Night, Ava Maria...etc

I had to look it up, because I remember enjoying that song as well. It is called "The Gift."

A recent favorite is "Joseph's Lullaby" by MercyMe.

I remember having Amy Grant's "A Christmas Album" on tape and it had so many great songs; I especially like "Christmas Hymn." "Breath of Heaven" is another song she signs that I really like. It's one of my Pandora stations--I've been listening to Christmas music for a month, so I'm definitely feeling the Christmas spirit! :santa:

For purely sentimental reasons my favorite Christmas album is We Wish You a Merry Christmas by the Ray Connif Singers. It's nothing fancy or special, but it's what my parents played every Christmas when I was little and it takes me right back to sitting on the top of the stairs on Christmas Eve waiting for it to be Christmas morning.

Other than that, I have a mini album I put together that includes.....

Silent Night by Stevie Nicks
Do You Hear What I Hear by Whitney Houston
Winter Wonderland by Annie Lenox
Little Drummer Boy by Bob Seger
I Want a Hippoptamus for Christmas by Gail Peevey
Little Drummer Boy by Bing Crosby and David Bowie
Silver Bells by Dean Martin
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Frank Sinatra
12 Days of Christmas by Straight No Chaser
If Every Day Were Like Christmas by Elvis Presley

We have this "tradition" in my family that says you can start listening to seasonal/Christmas music on November 1 as long as it's instrumental only.....NO WORDS! After Thanksgiving, you can add Christmas music with words, too!

That being said, during the "no words" period, our family really enjoys all the Windham Hill Winter Solstice cds. Beautiful music, some seasonal, some Christmas melodies. Relaxing and lovely. You can listen to them on Grooveshark.

Happy Thanksgiving!!:goodvibes

I've been listening to Christmas music since 1 November. I'm a Christmas music junkie!
Nothing says Christmas like Bing Crosby's White Christmas or Nat King Cole singing the Christmas Song. It takes me right back to 45 years ago, with mom baking Christmas cookies and dad coming through the door on a snowy Chicago night after a long, long day of working.
For the modern stuff, I do love Trans-Siberian Orchestra's first album.

Tara- Love Josh Groban, the new Glee Christmas CD is good! Polar Express Soundtrack, That's What They Call Christmas 2cd set...Mannheim Steamroller, Transiberian Orchestra just to name a few!

I'd invite you over to download stuff but I'm leaving for Disney on Wednesday morning!!!!!

Hope to see you soon!!!!:santa:

I won't list specific songs but my top three fave Christmas albums are:

When My Heart Finds Christmas, Harry Connick, Jr
O What a Night!, Harry Connick, Jr
Wintersong, Sarah McLachlan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter