OT- Dollywood questions

mickeys friend

DIS Veteran
I would love to hear from anyone who has been to Dollywood.We won tickets last year and have never gone before.We've been to Pigeon Forge but never Dollywood.There will be several adults and only one 9 year old and we don't know if only the child will like it or what about the adults?We love Disney,yet we know it's nothing like Disney,but since all our stuff is free,we're going in a couple of weeks.Also,what about "plus size" people riding the things at Dollywood?Not everyone will be riding things,but would like help from others who have rode the rides.

It's been several years since we went there (close to 10), but my kids would have been around 7, 9 & 11 (give or take a year or two;)) all had a good time. You are right - it is no Disney, and if their expectations are that high they could be disappointed. But they did have a Splash Mountain-type ride, some roller coasters, I believe a log flume, and if remember right a whole carnival-type ride and game area. The shows were great. Our favorite was a 50's type quartet that sang outside. My husband took the boys on the car ride (like the speedway, only old fashioned cars instead of race cars) and I stood right near there waiting on them, and watched this group sing. Of course, they have indoor shows too.

When we went, we spent 2 days at Dollywood....actually a day and a half, and one day at the water park. We also went to the Nascar Cafe and Speedpark and we all enjoyed the different race tracks and games.

Enjoy your trip!

Oh - as for plus size people, I wasn't as big then as I am now, but have never been small, and I was comfortable on everything I went on.

We had season passes for years but haven't been in a couple of years now. The child should enjoy some of the bigger rides and likely some of the smaller ones if they are like my 9 year old. As for Pooh-sized people, my Dad who is 6'1" and likely pushing 350 lbs has only had trouble on one ride there as far as I know. It's a lot of fun but it isn't Disney that's for sure. Have a great trip.

I agree with previous posters. We for the first time last year and we enjoyed it (kids and adults). We 1 1/2 days at Dollywood and 1 day at the waterpark. It's definitely worth trying. My only advice for a heavier person is that there is a mountain tobbogan type ride (I can't remember the name) that you've got to walk to the top of a moderately steep hill, and for me, as a big girl, it was a b****. Took me several minutes to recover. Also, there is a total weight limit for the tobbogans (something like 700 lbs) which carry 2-5 passengers, so they weigh each group before they load them and change the mix if necessary.

Have fun!!

I would love to hear from anyone who has been to Dollywood.We won tickets last year and have never gone before.We've been to Pigeon Forge but never Dollywood.There will be several adults and only one 9 year old and we don't know if only the child will like it or what about the adults?We love Disney,yet we know it's nothing like Disney,but since all our stuff is free,we're going in a couple of weeks.Also,what about "plus size" people riding the things at Dollywood?Not everyone will be riding things,but would like help from others who have rode the rides.

I just got back from Dollywood. Spent one day there with my Aunt who is 76. It is much different than Disney. There is a lot of uphill climbing as it is in the mountains. But man is it beautiful. I did not ride anything so can't comment on the rides. Although they looked like a lot of fun. Going back in October with DH so hopefully will ride then.

Saw the eagles and the bird show. That was very nice as well. And the shopping was nice too. Didn't get to do much else as Aunt was exhausted and ready to leave. I think you will have a wonderful time. Just make sure you stay hydrated. All the food booth places give out free ice water.

We like Dollywood for what it is. It is a country music themed park with the focus on shows instead of the rides. There ARE rides but not as many as most parks and they are few trill rides. If you go with an open mind for country music and gospel music, you will enjoy your day. It is cooler than WDW and lots of shade and beautiful landscape. People are friendly and it is pretty clean. Food is really good. We did a country buffet that was great and it was like 10.00. The funnel cakes are out of this world good.

The water park is fun too. It was really crowded the last time we went and long line were the norm. Food option there are limited.

We pay to go so for free its GREAT.

I love Dollywood. I not even a country music at all. I like Dollywood for all the high end shows that are great. I ride some rides. I love love spalsh country usa water park. It so relaxed and laid back. Did I mention all three kids love both parks.

We like Dollywood for what it is. It is a country music themed park with the focus on shows instead of the rides. There ARE rides but not as many as most parks and they are few trill rides. If you go with an open mind for country music and gospel music, you will enjoy your day. It is cooler than WDW and lots of shade and beautiful landscape. People are friendly and it is pretty clean. Food is really good. We did a country buffet that was great and it was like 10.00. The funnel cakes are out of this world good.

The water park is fun too. It was really crowded the last time we went and long line were the norm. Food option there are limited.

We pay to go so for free its GREAT.

Yeah that is so true it is much cooler than Disney. So nice in the shade with a breeze. Even when it was close to 90 the day we went. I wish we had checked out the buffet. We walked past a booth were they were making chicken, onions, peppers on a big round skillet. We had to walk back to try it. Was soo good. Called flatbread sandwich I think.

Oh, I forgot about these potato things. They took a whole potato and spiral sliced it and deep fried it.....OMG.... sooo good. People in the area get season passes and just go there to eat. I think they got like best food award or something one year!

We've been season pass holders most years for the last 30 or so. It's a pleasant way to spend a day.

Be sure to check their website for special events. In the Spring they do an international fest that has performers from all over the World. In the summer, it's Kidsfest. There is a gospel time, bluegrass and fall harvest festival, and holiday seasons are great fun. They always have decent shows around the park. I don't ride anything, but my kids enjoy several of the rides.

A one day ticket is updated cheaply to a season pass, so if you'll be in the area for longer, you may want to do that. Free tickets are usually treated just like a purchased day pass for upgrades. You can decide just before you leave the park for the day if you like it enough to come back. Annual passes for my whole family are cheaper than one Disney multi-day or annual pass.

Another bonus, if you go after they reopen for Christmas in early Novemeber and buy a Dollywood annual pass, you get the rest of the current year and the whole next year.

Sheila

DH and I went there on our honeymoon (almost 18 years ago) and we went two years ago for our anniversary. Everyone :rotfl2:When I tell them we went there for our honeymoon, but i:worship::worship: dolly patron, have since I was a very little girl.

I would love to go back very soon and take the kids. Both times we went we went in October and it was beautiful and not crazy busy. The last time we went I was between a size 18/20 and I don't remember having trouble fitting on any rides and DH and I are big riders so I do remember going on everything!

We stayed at cabins up in the mountains and it was beautiful!

We went the day before Thanksgiving 2 years ago and the hours they are open were reduced so by they time we got in did 1 show, rode the train it was very dark and cold. We are planning on going back in summer so we can enjoy the rides and the water park.

We took our entire family last summer to Dollywood. Our four grandsons (ages 8-13) loved it. In fact, we are leaving Sunday for our Second Annual Dollywood trip. You would not be disappointed.

We had season passes last year and would have gotten them this year, but no time to travel!

We love Dollywood! Yes its not Disney, but its still lots of fun! The shows were good, the food was good, the shopping was good and DD loved the rides!

I'm actually sitting in the shade at Dollywood right now. DH & DS9 are climbing on the Adventure mountain ropes course. It's not Disney, but we still love it here. It's fun & close to home. A nice relaxing amusement park. We just upgraded to season passes this morning so we can come back in the fall & at Christmas.

How much is it to upgrade to a annual pass for adults and kids that are 9 years old?

You can probably find it on their website, but in the neighborhood of $25 or so each from a one day pass.

We always get one Gold pass, which is about $30 or $40 extra but gives you free parking all year along with discounts on food and merchandise.

Sheila

You can probably find it on their website, but in the neighborhood of $25 or so each from a one day pass.

We always get one Gold pass, which is about $30 or $40 extra but gives you free parking all year along with discounts on food and merchandise.

Sheila

I was just there last week, I think the signs posted every where said extra 34.00 . Not a bad deal hubby and I thought. We had a really really nice time, will happily go again, next time in the area. Clean and neat, decent bathrooms, good food, but pricey of course. They say you cant bring food in, but saw LOTS of people that did and they don't check bags. For plus size, I noticed most of the bigger rides had ride seats outside of ride to take pics in and or I guess for a larger size person to maybe try before waiting in line . I hope you all have a great time!

I'm actually sitting in the shade at Dollywood right now. DH & DS9 are climbing on the Adventure mountain ropes course. It's not Disney, but we still love it here. It's fun & close to home. A nice relaxing amusement park. We just upgraded to season passes this morning so we can come back in the fall & at Christmas.

We love Dollywood, too, and keep season passes.

You MUST go back at Christmas! Last Christmas everything was covered in snow and the pond in the center was frozen over for the Carol of the Trees. It was beautiful! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter