OT Does anyone know of specific location distances from DW park landmarks?

MovingThemOut

Earning My Ears
I posted this over at the families board but thought I might have better luck at a quick response here:

We arrive at the parks this Sat. afternoon so I suppose there is nothing like the last minute to try and put together a plan like this-

DS age 10 will be our only child on this trip (we have 4 boys) so for once I think I might could actually spare some time towards doing something more than "just" touring. About two weeks after we return he will have to have a science fair project completed. I had planned on doing a totally different project but after a discussion with his teacher concerning his make-up work for the week that we will be pulling him out of school, I am hoping to quickly put together a new plan.

In order to complete this, I need to be able to know how many feet, yards, etc. we would be standing from major landmarks in the park exp. Tree of Life, Castle, Expidition Everest, Epcot geosphere, MGM Sorcerer's hat etc. etc. I thought perhaps maybe some of those "Kodak photo op" points might be a possible measured distance in some source? Can anyone point me in a direction to a quick reliable source? I wouldn't have to be the Kodak example, just anypoint within a park with one of the aforementioned landmarks.

I realize that had I planned this out sooner it would have most likely been a simple matter of writing to the correct source and then waiting for a response (by the way my oldest ds is an intern employee so I realize that getting an answer to a question often means getting contact with the RIGHT employee!) Just hoping we might have a homeschooler or someone around that might have encountered something similiar! Thanks!

Hmm... instead of a "quick reliable source" for the information for the science fair, wouldn't it make more sense to determine that information via personal research? Your son could use that Google 'earth-look' or whatever it is website and determine the distances by using the scale available with the site... or he could use a pedometer IN the parks to measure the distances himself?

I honestly don't think you're going to find this information anywhere. While you may find distances from parking lot to parking lot, I don't think you're going to find exact distances from major landmarks. Like kaytieeldr said, I think the Google earth thing would be the best way to figure it out if you needed to do so.

I will take a look at the earth look thing. I've never gave the sight more than a quick look and have never tried using it as a true resource. I do think the pedometer is a great idea though as generally the distances I need is only several yards! THANKS!:cool1:

Google Earth allows you to measure distances point to point or along a path you designate.

There's a poster on these boards who used it to prove the difference between the closest rooms at Pop and the farthest away rooms is only 800 feet. (or something like that)

I'll try to find that post and link it back here.

Is it possible that the exact measurement of the distances could be done upon your return?

I can't find the post that explains this.. but Google Earth allows you to measure these kinds of distances.

Check it out.

J

I'm looking it over now CanadianGuy, Thanks. I will need the measurement from the point in which we take a photo so I doubt I should trust finding the distance upon return but if I don't get it all locked in before we leave I might just try.

Editing to say that I think I've learned to use it adequately and to pinpoint where I should take my photos from. It seems it will work for all of the parks except Animal Kingdom. I don't think it's been updated recently enough to make that one possible but we will certainly be happy with three out of four!

I am going to reword your question a little bit to see if I understand.

I think that you might be trying to determine how far you are standing from a landmark only using a picture that you have taken of yourself or son and the landmark, and a few known peices of data.
From the scientific point of view and why I think that might qualify as a homework assignment, I think that you can figure the distance between 2 points using some geometry and the known heights of the objects (your son and the landmark) The heights of the "Mickey Hat", Castle, Tree of Life and Epcot "Ball" can be found in many different places. You can obviously measure your son and I think that you also need the angle of the line between your son and the top of the "landmark". I think that I remember that there is a quick formula to estimate the height of a tree using a similar method, this is similar, with a different variable.

This is just my take on your question. I was not a Math or Science major, but some of the info must have slipped in during class.

Yes, Herbie that is basically what we are doing. My son is making a theodolite (sp?). I've never been involved in any surveying before but dh holds a few engineering degrees so I'm sure he can help us out more when he can get away from the office, I'm just trying to get any preliminary legwork out of the way. Anyways-

I have the math formula that will allow us to figure the height of the "landmark icon" when we plug in the distance from the object (the info that I'm asking help in finding here on the board) divided by the angle/degree measured on the theodolite. We then plan on comparing our findings to the often published height of these objects that can be located in most disney trivia/literature. The pics that I will be taking are just for proof on the posterboard display that we did actually take these measurements on the theodolite from areas within the parks.

I hope that makes things clearer. Now I have to get packing LOL I thank everyone for the ideas and patience with me on this one! I'll try and check back to see if anyone else has had further input.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter