OT Do you tip movers?

Absolutely. For 3-5 hours I tip $20 or so per mover. Also offer them a cold drink.

Never used a mover. Always just rented a Uhaul, but I haven't moved in 32 years. Those guys make good money, so I would not be inclined to tip. Cold drink and cookies, that I would do.

We did. They worked for about 2.5 hours unloading all our stuff and carried the beds and couch upstairs. Two guys-$20 each. I'm not so sure they make good money, either...there are ads on craigslist for like $15 an hour for some of the larger companies. Since I paid $119 an hour for the two of them, someone is making good money, but I'm not sure it was the two guys here breaking their backs.

I think I gave $20 each as well. They put my boxes in the attic in a neat, orderly way, put everything exactly where I wanted it and everything.

My DH and I have moved 5 times in 12 years with my DH's job. The company pays for professional movers. They pack, load, move and unload, put beds, tables, desk or whatever needs to be put together. They do not unpack as I prefer to do it. We provide lunch each day for the crew, with such hard work they normally don't want anything really heavy, so cold subs are usually what they request. I also have a cooler full of drinks, water, Gatorade, and soda. We always tip normally about 30 to 40 per guy or gal, and the driver who is in charge of the loading and unloading 100.00 +. We feel that they are moving our life and memories, we want them to know we appreciate them.

When my DD and her DH and brand new grandson 6 weeks old at the time moved from GA to Fl. I found a mom and pop company that loaded the truck for 250.00 and that was a great deal as 2 other main stream companies wanted 500.00 plus other fees. I tipped them 30.00 each, plus we had coffee, and water and Gatorade for them. It was like 28 degrees and snowed the day before we moved them back.

20 bucks for each mover. We were a half day job, 3-4 hours. They seemed to appreciate it. They work so hard.

I bought Jimmy Johns for lunch and gave them each $20. They acted thrilled and surprised that I did it.

Jill in CO

Oh, absolutely. We usually give $20 per mover and offer some food and drink. Don't confuse a high cost of service with the movers getting big paychecks. They almost always work for a company. The company receives the money for the services, and pays the movers whatever they please-- which probably isn't an exuberant amount.

Having used movers for our moves, I truly appreciate their services. We give a twenty dollar tip for each mover and cold drinks! They made my life easier!

Yes, I also provide waters and other beverages and lunch.

Except for the last time, I provided lunch and beverages but completely forgot to tip. We spent about 2 hours at the guard shack with the movers because 1 of them came up with a warrant so we had to handle that. I was in the middle of getting documents ready for the move, getting work done as I worked through the move and was on the phone giving interviews for some hires I needed to fill before leaving. In the chaos of dealing with the police and all of that I forgot to tip that day.

I did however tip them when they arrived in Arizona with my stuff (Sans the warrant guy, he didn't come back) I think I tipped $40 each mover and $50 for the driver.

Last edited:
Absolutely. My last move was out of a two bedroom apartment and into the house my fiance and I had purchased. We tipped each mover $20. (He moved his stuff in from HIS two bedroom apartment on a different day, and again, we tipped each mover $20. Both were half-day jobs.

Having paid for movers, I would never, ever move myself again. We did all our own packing but they are so much faster and more efficient, and it beats the pants off of having to beg and bribe friends to help.

We had movers for 5 hours. 80 degrees. Tipped them $80. plus cold drinks at both places. (just moved across town). They were very thankful & definitely worth the cost.

My mother's last move we had 3 movers. The arrived at 9 am and worked (other than a 1 hour lunch) until 5. It was near 90 and humid that weekend. For what it's worth after they left I was still moving things in a uHaul until 8 the next morning including 2 trips to the county dump for things we just didn't have room for. We tipped them $50 each and I believe they earned every dollar of it.

We had a tractor trailer that included an upright baby grand piano to move. Those movers worked really hard and we tipped them 50.00 each for the 4 guys. So the tip was 200.00 total. It was an all day job.

We only moved 20 miles from one house to the other but it was worth every penny to pay those movers - I packed up and unpacked everything myself with a 9 month old baby and a 4 year old. Just thinking about it makes me want to curl up and scream. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter