OT - Disputing a medical bill

Read the fine print in your handbook. Durable medical equipment/supplies sometimes has a seperate deductible.

I'm confused. Who gave you the splint?

Did the doctor give you a script and you went to a local supply house? Maybe your fault for not asking the price.

Did you get the splint in your doctor's office. Then it's the doctor's fault for not picking a company with better prices. The doctor's office might contact the company and tell them he'll use a different vendor if they won't lower the charge.

You might call the insurance company and see if the billing code indicates the rehab company fitted the split. That would give you grounds to request a reduction.

You're partially wrong. You can't compare an internet price with a local price.

I would agree, but for two things:

1) According to my insurance handbook, I have no deductible. The CS rep on the phone says I do, but the current handbook says otherwise.

2) The person who fit the splint is employed by my doctor's office. The bill is from the medical supply company. My doctor is a personal friend, so I know the professional services to fit the splint were billed as part of the office visit, not by the medical supply company. My doctor finds the charge ridiculous as well and will be writing a statement as part of my appeal.

Ironically, I had the option to have a cast on my wrist which my insurance would have paid for in full. One reason my doctor and I decided on the splint was because we thought it would be more cost effective.:rotfl:

This is exactly what I'm dealing with. This is a medical equipment company billing me a ridiculous amount of money just because I got the splint at the doctor's office and not at the Walmart.

I did discover that my DH's current benefit handbook states that in-network durable medical goods are to be paid at 100% with no deductible, so I'll be appealing the invoice with the insurance company tomorrow.

I'm shocked that you got a bill for the splint, especially since you should be covered 100%. That's just crazy.

My DD fractured her wrist recently. By the time we went to the ped, had x-rays, etc, it was late at night. Her ped suggested putting a splint on it and giving her Motrin until the orthopaedic dept could see her the following morning. The splint she received was off the shelf at the dr's office and we weren't charged anything for it. About a month later, DD's cast came off. The ortho dr wanted her to wear a splint for a few weeks after that. The hospital gave her a new splint and again, we were not charged anything.

Good luck. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter