• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT-Digital Camera Help

labgeek

Mouseketeer
I am wanting to buy a new digital camera this week before we go to WDW over spring break. My other one is a canon, but it seems to take forever to between shots and the zoom is not too good. Now that my kids are in activities I want to really be able to zoom in. We had really good seats to Hannah Montana and my zoom not being real good, I didn't get the shots I wanted too.

What do you all have and do you like it? Thanks, Kat:cheer2: :dance3:

The photography board could probably help you more...

But, here's what I have: Panasonic DMC-FZ7
I just love it. It has 12x zoom, image stabilization, it write the photos VERY fast, so I don't miss shots. If I want an action shot, I put it on the burst mode, and it will take shot after shot with a second between the shots, while I hold down the button. It is a bit larger, but still lightweight. I have a smaller nikon, to carry in my purse. but, I would not change my camera for anything.

We have an older Kodak EasyShare (a Z730) and I wouldn't trade it for anything! I don't know what all features you are looking for, but we have never been disappointed with this camera, plus it was pretty inexpensive. I was shocked at how much I liked it because I thought we were buying a "cheap" camera. My husband left it out in the rain last week and I almost cried when I thought we would have to replace it - after letting it dry out, the thing still works like new, I was amazed!

Anyway - I'm not a camera expert by any means, but I can't imagine being any happier with any other "everyday" use camera!

It just depends on what you want to spend.

I have waited and waited to get the camera I have had my eye on for the last year. (Hoping I could find it on sale). I bought it the day after Thanksgiving for $650.00:) . It's the Nikon D40 SLR. I love it!! It came in a bundle (bag, memory card, two lenses, battery and battery charger). I still haven't figured it all out yet, but it's a great camera.

It's a bigger body style than I had before, so it will be a little more of a hastle when we go back to Disney. (It's the first Nikon I've ever owned, but so far, so good). It takes beautiful pictures fast! I scrapbook so I'm always taking pictures of my kids doing something!!

So good luck with your camera shopping and have a great vacation!! :cool1:

The photography board could probably help you more...

But, here's what I have: Panasonic DMC-FZ7
I just love it. It has 12x zoom, image stabilization, it write the photos VERY fast, so I don't miss shots. If I want an action shot, I put it on the burst mode, and it will take shot after shot with a second between the shots, while I hold down the button. It is a bit larger, but still lightweight. I have a smaller nikon, to carry in my purse. but, I would not change my camera for anything.

Where would this photography board be? I can't seem to find it when I look under all the forums. Thanks.

I have an Olympus 770SW and I adore it. It is waterproof to 33 feet, shockprrof, freezeproof, crush proof. (so my hubby says, "wife proof")

The zoom is actually on of my favorite features of this camera. This is an examply from Fantasmic, shot from the top of the stadium there.

P1267951.jpg

It is actually really good with high speed as well. It has a high speed setting that shoots rapid fire and does pretty well. As an examply of that... how about some Irish Dancers.

P2241849.jpg

Jugglers too. The camera shoots quickly. You just hold down the button and it will repeatedly shoot. I always shoot like this just to get multiple shots and pick the best. The lens speed is also quick enough to freeze things at a high speed.

P2241943.jpg

And also freezes on animals pretty well.

P3092232.jpg

I can't afford the professional camera but this one has been pretty easy to figure out and I have been able to work great with it. It's one main area that is lacking is low-light settings. It is hard to work with in low light, especially if there is motion. However, hubby and I got a $20 tripod to use during shows and night activites where it is dark and have been able to get some great shots (refer to Fantasmic shot above). Happy camera hunting!!

P.S thanks for letting me gratuitously post pictures....

I have an Olympus 770SW and I adore it. It is waterproof to 33 feet, shockprrof, freezeproof, crush proof. (so my hubby says, "wife proof")

The zoom is actually on of my favorite features of this camera. This is an examply from Fantasmic, shot from the top of the stadium there.

P1267951.jpg

It is actually really good with high speed as well. It has a high speed setting that shoots rapid fire and does pretty well. As an examply of that... how about some Irish Dancers.

P2241849.jpg

Jugglers too. The camera shoots quickly. You just hold down the button and it will repeatedly shoot. I always shoot like this just to get multiple shots and pick the best. The lens speed is also quick enough to freeze things at a high speed.

P2241943.jpg

And also freezes on animals pretty well.

P3092232.jpg

I can't afford the professional camera but this one has been pretty easy to figure out and I have been able to work great with it. It's one main area that is lacking is low-light settings. It is hard to work with in low light, especially if there is motion. However, hubby and I got a $20 tripod to use during shows and night activites where it is dark and have been able to get some great shots (refer to Fantasmic shot above). Happy camera hunting!!

P.S thanks for letting me gratuitously post pictures....

Those pics are awesome. I am going to look this camera up on cnet and amazon and look at prices. My DH is buying me this camera for our anniversary. He just doesn't know it yet:rolleyes1

i selected the olympus sylus 830 for my christmas present from DH
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Olym...94159/catOid/-16941/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

i have a canon, but it is just too bulky to fit in my purse so i rarely used it. the olympus had all my "must haves":
~8 megapixel
~5x optical zoom
~dual image stabilization (we intentionally shook the camera really fast while shooting & the pix came out perfectly clear! especially makes a huge difference in night & high zoom shots:thumbsup2 )
~ water resistant (so rain, splashes, etc won't hurt it)
~ 26 preset modes for "difficult" lighting settings (fireworks, candlelight, sunset, etc) & varying scenes (sports, landscape, etc). camera adjusts focus, flash, shutter speed, etc automatically
~ very easy to learn & use (it does quite a bit, but is still easy to take most pictures without even touching the manual)
~ incredibly quick write time (no lag)

also, it has received consistantly excellent reviews everywhere (& i researched for months before choosing), is small enough to fit in your pocket or bag (it is small, but not miniscule ~ imho, a reasonable trade-off for being feature laden & getting excellent shots tho), & comes in different colors I got the blue :lovestruc ).
most importantly, i've been very impressed with the pictures the camera takes ~ the camera was worth every penny and more :thumbsup2

hth
laurie s

we just bought the Olympus stylus 790SW. Its great! I paid $239 for it over president's day weekend at circuit city. we had debated on the one that went down 33ft but really that wont be happening with my kids anytime soon, so I told dh nope on spending that kind of money. This one takes great action shots and crisp underwater pics. I love the fact I can take it to the beach and leave it in my purse without having issues of it getting wet, sand in it, etc.. we are having a blast with it at the pool. good luck deciding..

I think I am going to go to Circuit City tomorrow or tues and play with a few of theirs. Thank you for all your suggestions. I did check out the photography board, but some of that is way over my head. Thanks, Kat

We have an older Kodak EasyShare (a Z730) and I wouldn't trade it for anything! I don't know what all features you are looking for, but we have never been disappointed with this camera, plus it was pretty inexpensive. I was shocked at how much I liked it because I thought we were buying a "cheap" camera. My husband left it out in the rain last week and I almost cried when I thought we would have to replace it - after letting it dry out, the thing still works like new, I was amazed!

Anyway - I'm not a camera expert by any means, but I can't imagine being any happier with any other "everyday" use camera!

With the exception of the getting it wet part, I could have very well written this post! I LOVE my Kodak Easyshare Z730. Great camera!

I currently have a Canon a710 IS and I love it. I bought it as an upgrade from my Canon A700 (mostly for the IS feature). I use it mostly for concerts & vacations.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I did check out the photography board, but some of that is way over my head. Thanks, Kat

Be sure to at least post your question there, the photography board folks are great about making new camera suggestions (and explaining why they're making that suggestion). You'll likely see a lot of recommendations for Canon's.

For low light situations with no flash a dSLR really can't be beat but I've had pretty good luck with my S3 and it has great zoom. The S5 is the most recent model that's out but the S series are a bit bulky for some people although the 12x zoom and IS are great. I also recently bought the A720 IS as my pocket camera to replace my A610 that broke, I'm not as happy with it as compared to my A610 but it's okay for what we use it for (it's primarily our snorkeling camera, used with an underwater housing).

Here are a couple taken with my S3 (no flash)...

Disney_Nov06265.jpg

Disney_Nov06264.jpg

And here are a couple no flash shots taken with my Pentax dSLR (I rarely use my S3 now, for low light shots especially).

IMGP2810.jpg

IMGP3475.jpg

If you're looking for great zoom on a budget look at the Fuji Finepix S700. Someone mentioned it on a thread here a long while ago and I made a note of it. When I bought our new camera last month that one came out on top! It's the size and shape of an SLR but it's digital, and it's very light. Takes both SD and XD cards. Uses regular AA batteries or rechargeables. Is 7mp with a 10x optical zoom. You can use it on auto setting and it takes awesome pics or if you're into photography (or want to get into it) it can be fully manual. So far we've found it to be much, much faster than our old pocket digital...and I love that I can put it around my neck! I also find it easier to hold with one hand and take pics than our old camera...important when you're chasing a toddler! I paid $169.99 at BJ's a couple of weeks ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter