• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT: did anyone watch Oprah today? yikes

aplejax76

Mouseketeer<br><font color=orange>I have to think
Wow, I can't believe what I was watching. She set out to humilate James Frey. I don't agree with what he did.I just was sooooooooo embarrassed for the way Oprah was acting today. I had to turn it off. I really see her in a different light now.

I didnt care for oprah's behavior today either, i guess its b/c she is angry b/c she went on on about how great the book was ( he made tons of$$$) and then you find out he lied about certain parts of the book. She could have made a public statment on her show, it was as if she wanted to ridicule him and cross exam him infront of the entire world. She came off so bitter!!!

I just read the article on MSN, but I will also watch it when i get home on tivo. I read the book after seeing it on her show and didnt see the big deal. Kinda similar to Postcards from the Edge. Finding out that parts aren't true doesn't really matter. Oprah is probably trying to prove to her viewers that she cares about this author lying to all of her viewers. It's a book though! Readers probably wouldn't find drug abuse and coping in rehab as exciting if there weren't some exagerations. So what if he didn't go to prison? I do love Oprah and watch her everyday. I doubt her behavior towards Frey will change my mind.

well..i don't exactly watch operah(though i did watch a catoon movie that had her in it and it was about Martin Luther King Jr. LOL)i only watch her when my dad watches her on direct tv(yes i have direct tv) and well..he kinda never watches it LOL!!
well,right now my family(sister(the best),brother(little over oa),3 cousins(nice) and my aunt(weird and in her 40's!) )
is watching dancing with the stars-i watch that sometimes but i mostly watch american idol on channel 2

YAY PAULA!YAY RAY(whatever the rest of his name is lol:rotfl: )BOO SIMON!(<--not all the time) :wizard:

I am so glad someone posted about this! I was thinking the same thing! I have been such and Oprah fan for years - but today - I was embarrassed for HER! I really thought she was drilling him too much - I really can't put into words what I thought, I just thought the whole show was wrong

I also didn't care for Oprahs behavior on the James Frey show. I caught the rerun last night at 11 since I am at work during the day and could not believe how immature she was acting. I mean, I do feel it was wrong for James Frey to lie...

BUT Oprah should've done her research and she didn't. She also didn't HAVE to call into Larry King and defend James Frey when she still hadn't done her research. Bottom line is the way Oprah acted was immature and I am very disappointed in a woman that I admire and look up to as a role model. Oprah has so much power and doesn't realize how she affects so many people and for a lady of her stature to hold herself like she did on that show just showed me a different light to her and I was VERY disappointed. I feel she blamed James Frey for her ignorance of not doing research or checking up on the Smoking Gun story, so then she was right, she did look "duped," but because of her actions.

Also, her new book club book "Night" by Ellie Weisel has similar accusations and Frey's and has since the book came out (I studied it in school). It's very controversial since it deals with concentration camps and some of it is also believed to be fabricated...I really hope she didn't set herself up again.

She also called the president of Hermes on her show to lecture him too when they wouldn't let her in a Paris store because they were getting ready for a show. I feel like she's getting a little too big for her britches if you know what I mean... :rolleyes1

What happened to the humble Oprah everyone used to enjoy? I miss her and as a young woman, I admired her.

I stopped watching Oprah years ago(IMO she is not that great, as she makes herself out to be)...But I did see clips from CNN...and said to myself ...that must really seem bad because it's clips...but I guess it was pretty bad. Personally I do not like Oprah...many people think otherwise. But I believe she should have let this whole thing drop. She is just so bitter that she looks bad, and she is out to humiliate those that don't worship the ground she walks on. A friend went to a taping, and said she was so rude between commercial time/and stops, it was unreal, and she also stopped watching her too. People should put their time into something else (IMO) :thumbsup2

I'm watching on Tivo right now, i had to walk away because she was making me feel uncomfortable. I bet he regrets the decision to come on the show. I have struggled with Oprah for years. When she was a newscaster in Baltimore she was rude to my Aunt, very upidey (sp). So being a kid, I decide I didn't like her because of that. And whenever she talked about her time there, it was always very negative. But then she has done so much good, that I decided to give her another chance. She probably shouldn't have used a whole show for personal revenge. But, I guess it's her show and her business. I hope the people who have been helped by the book, fact or fiction, will continue with their recovery.

I have noticed a change in Oprah this year. I have watched her for years. This year it is like I'm slowly seeing another side of her. She doesn't seem to feel bad for people like she used to. I mean it is like she is preoccupied when they are telling their story and many times instead of looking at them she is looking at the camera. I don' tknow if the control people are saying something in her ear or something but it makes it look like she was not paying attention. THEN the whole incident with that department store was ridiculous!!!!! She was furious with them because they would not let her in to shop AFTER the store closed!!!!!!!! She threw a hissy fit and basically said it was racism because they did not allow her in. They said they had something planned that they had to set up for so that is why they could not let her in. She thinks because she is OPRAH that they should have broken the rules for her. I can't believe that I'm even saying anything negative about her because I have always been a huge fan or hers. I hope she does not end up showing her true colors ala Rosie! I was so shocked at the things Rosie said and did after her show ended. She was not the smiley person that I watched on my tv.......

Honestly I can't believe he had the audacity to come back on the show - he had to figure he was in for a reaming. I, too, have watched Oprah for years and have noticed that she seems to be getting a bit overly snarky lately. I just chalked it up to years of doing this she has become hardened. Also years of the celebrity life has made her disconnected from what goes on with most people.

i didn't see the show mentioned here on this thread. I've always been an Oprah fan, until I read about here million dollar birthday party. Ok, I know parties are expensive, and she's a celebrity, etc., but it just seemed so concieted to throw a million dollar birthday party for yourself! Maybe that's how she was sure people would come? I know she gives money to various charities, etc., and did a lot to help with hurricane Katrina, however, if I had a million dollars just laying around I'd try to put it where it could do some good. Perhaps find some people dying for want of a liver transplant they couldn't afford,,,,,,,,,,,,that's what would give me satisfaction, instead of going to my birthday party and wondering if the guests came because they liked me or because I was paying for such a big bash?

BTW, I turned 50 the same year. My kids made me a cake in their Easy Bake oven, made me cards, and saved their allowance to buy me a watch at WalMart. Top that, Oprah! I'm the rich one! You can't buy love! :love:

vhoffman said:
BTW, I turned 50 the same year. My kids made me a cake in their Easy Bake oven, made me cards, and saved their allowance to buy me a watch at WalMart. Top that, Oprah! I'm the rich one! You can't buy love! :love:

well said!!!!! :thumbsup2

Isn't Oprah the most powerful woman in show business? This is a lesson -Don't screw around with Oprah!

I have seen the men on "Sixty Minutes" grill people like that for years, and no one complains. I wish Oprah was running the country, maybe there would be no more lying cheaters.

For what it's worth, Oprah is paying for a school in Africa to educate women who otherwise don't get to go to school at all.

AJKMOM said:
Isn't Oprah the most powerful woman in show business? This is a lesson -Don't screw around with Oprah!

I have seen the men on "Sixty Minutes" grill people like that for years, and no one complains. I wish Oprah was running the country, maybe there would be no more lying cheaters.

For what it's worth, Oprah is paying for a school in Africa to educate women who otherwise don't get to go to school at all.

I agree. We are so much more critical of women.

It is obvious that she was so disappointed in the author. My red flags went up on the original show when Frey's family who was sitting in the audience and said, "we had no idea how bad it was for him". I'm laughing now because I wonder if they were saying "hhmmmm we don't remember that".

I think her outrage was on a more personal level (Oprah to James as in one human to another). He lied about so many things directly to her face. She was really touched by so many things/people that he led us all to believe were real.

As for Oprah and her money. Oh boy....I strongly disagree. Vehemently.

The woman has worked her butt off (as many people who don't have money do....I know). She's worked hard....been successful...given to this world. I say spend your money the way you want to! I was happy to see her celebrate her life and fiftieth birthday.

It's too bad about Frey's book. It has so many important things to say. It's a shame. I think that's why she supported him at first (a la Larry King). He points out that addiction to anything, rage etc. comes down to not feeling your feelings. Refusing to face what is going on. I think a lot of what came out of "A Million Little Pieces" was so positive. It's a shame.

AJKMOM said:

I think it's wonderful what Oprah can do for other people, but what about the people in her own country that are going with out. And this isn't just Oprah, why is it that celebrities are giving their money away to other countries, and not to their own people.

I saw that episode that we are talking about and I also agree that Oprah went a little over board. Ok so the book was supposed to be the truth, but let's face it, the way one person sees the truth, doesn't mean that someone else sees it the same way. And for the part about him being in prison for 83 days and it was only hours. If I was in a police station for 5 minutes, I'm sure it would feel like 5 days!!! LOL!!!! I just think that if she were to get on stage and say SHE made a mistake by standing behind the book, that would have been enough. But it definately felt like she need revenge on this guy. And another thing, this book was based on his life with drugs and alcohol, I wonder how much he really remembers. :flower3: pixiedust:

I just caught OPRAH after the show with the author of Million Little Pieces! My goodness it continued! I can't believe he agreed to stay for the after show too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter